Kia EV6 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
Pearl white, ordered March 2022, expected Jan 2023 (probably later)
52 Posts

I've plumbed the numbers in the spreadsheet I've supplied to this forum before. In my specific instance, yes, it appears to be cheaper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also, feel free to put your own numbers in there to adjust according to what you have!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
It's now been announced about the £2,500 price cap from 1st October, will be interesting to see what that actually translates into for price per kWh. Going from £1,971 to £2,500 is 26.8% so my current £0.27/kWh might become £0.32/kWh (my maths might be off)

If I'm right, that will still make the car cheaper to run than my diesel.
I'm waiting to see the deails and to see if I can get the current order moved to a salary sacrifice scheme. If I can great, if I can't then it's a cancel, look at what's out there now in the next 6 months and go from there.

Fundamentally it's the own the diesel outright and fuel costs vs lease cost and potentially lower fuel costs. Of course if the lease costs are low enough, then there comes a point where doing the right thing has a value, but that isn't £600+ a month sadly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's now been announced about the £2,500 price cap from 1st October, will be interesting to see what that actually translates into for price per kWh. Going from £1,971 to £2,500 is 26.8% so my current £0.27/kWh might become £0.32/kWh (my maths might be off)

If I'm right, that will still make the car cheaper to run than my diesel.
The energy price cap might be fixed for now, but we are all going to pay it in massive taxes and if interest rates go up the 100bn pound loan will cost so much we will all be in indentured labour for 100 years

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just did a quick napkin math, that works out to roughly £1500 per person in this country, over 2 years. That's mental. If we then devolve it down to working population, that's 32.7 million people, so double the rate per person.

We will each have to pay back £3000 for this bailout (plus interest). Crazy amount of money that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've read the first few pages, but thought I'd share my experiences.

I was lucky enough to get solar installed (although they haven't finished). Firstly thinking solar will help with charging, dismiss that. You'd get very very limited mileage expecting to charge on solar.

However - I'm on Octopus Go Faster (if you're on Go you can upgrade to a beta program of GoFaster. Gives you 5 hours at 8.25p KW/h but you can select a window i.e. mine starts at 21:30 - allowing manual starting of washing machines etc. I have my battery (5.6KW) charge from the grid at 21:30 (takes about 2 hours) and my car charging from 21:30 for 5 hours - or until charged. The cost of charging my car from 20%-90% has dropped to about £3.80 from £14.50ish.

The battery being charged kicks in at 02:30 when my cheap tariff ends. That powers my house until just about Sun starts to generate some solar. During the day (obviously weather dependent) Solar provides a majority of the consumption, with my battery charging with any extra not used - THEN export. My goal is to not export at all (not worth it) but to be consuming.

What this should mean (and the 1st day I tried it) was my car being charged overnight for £3.80ish, battery being fully charged (not sure on cost but very low) and I imported under 2KW of power for the day. With the daily charge probably less that £1 of cost (not including car/battery charging) for the day.

However - I'm on my 3rd day of trying to be clever here :) Day 1 worked perfectly! Day 2 - my car charged, stopped charging, charged etc etc etc. In short - didn't charge until I kicked it into manual forced charged (which also meant 3 hours charging at 39p/KWh!). I need to fix this, I have an idea it's the charging smart meter limiting power for charging against the mains fuse we have (i.e. the big one managed by the power company). But it's not doing it right. . .so some playing to do. Last night - my car was set on a schedule, that started 2 hours after the cheap rate (first 2 hours was charging the battery). It started charging as planned for 1 min then stopped charging :(

But the potential is there - once I get this working consistently I'm looking at ~£5 for 260 miles of range. 1.92p per mile. . .

My electricity bills are about half of what they were (this will change as we hit autumn/winter) - but from £400 a month to £200-250 is what I expect. . . if not lower. I'm doing about 1400 miles a month.

The ROI on solar is nothing like 12+ years anymore, it also comes into how you use it, being smart on Tariffs etc.

We've also purchased about £2K of windfarm electricity through something call Ripple (you invest, they build the windfarm, take operating costs and you get very cheap electricity). Which SHOULD counter my input from the grid.

Sorry for the long post - hope it helps, but costs are soaring - even with the latest £2500 cap, the less I need to rely on it the better.

The ONLY thing I want to do next is have a way to feed my house from the EV6. The V2L can provide upto 3.6KW/h - while all the electric work was being done I ran my office through a long extension lead. In general - we rarely peak over 3.6KW (kettles, oven etc) but if I could charge my car at 8.25p/KWh and then feed my internal inverter to battery to then power the house it would be nuts :)

But as above - still having problems with the smart charger/dumb charger + scheduling on the EV6 to get it all working like it did on day 1 - but shows what can be achieved.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,886 Posts
Just did a quick napkin math, that works out to roughly £1500 per person in this country, over 2 years. That's mental. If we then devolve it down to working population, that's 32.7 million people, so double the rate per person.

We will each have to pay back £3000 for this bailout (plus interest). Crazy amount of money that.
Hopefully the tax on energy suppliers will increase as it still gets me that they want us to pay more while reporting record profits and record dividend payouts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
And it's arrived in the UK, so the order is being cancelled.

Combination of a number of factors, including the lack of a solid answer from Kia on charger cables, pre-heating for MY22 and charging costs due to a solar installer bailing on us.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
And it's arrived in the UK, so the order is being cancelled.

Combination of a number of factors, including the lack of a solid answer from Kia on charger cables, pre-heating for MY22 and charging costs due to a solar installer bailing on us.
Sorry to read it's been cancelled.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was, but now I look at everything, including being stranded on a test drive, I think it might be a lucky escape.
I know how you feel about being stranded on a test drive, same thing happened to me with a Polestar 2. I was all up for ordering one before that happened, now I wouldn't have one if it came with free electricity for a year!

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
I was, but now I look at everything, including being stranded on a test drive, I think it might be a lucky escape.
Perhaps
Good luck win the future and hope you find something you like. (y)

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Looks like the MG4 LR or the MG4 Trophy is the one now. The LR is a total bargain at £28k.
OH Really, not for me and the interior center console looks like an Aircraft fold out table.

Not for me but each to their own.

No offense intended. (y)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
I took a look at it this morning. Can't really see how it's a comparable vehicle to the EV6 but it IS cheaper.
The styling and performance would be a no for me.
I guess it depends what you want.
At approx half the price, it's definately more than half the car, it will be plenty good enough for many people.

Those looking to replace a second car or just a normal (Ford, GM) type of car to just eat the miles as cheaply as possible will probably be attracted.

IMHO Kia seem to be giving you a 50k car, which is full of bugs then combining it with the arrogance you get from some "premium" brands dealers. That you should be grateful you have their car.

It's not a great place to be as VW group have everything from some seat/skoda offerings at lower price points, Audi at about the same and Porsche at higher price. The software updates are however coming thick and fast, with meaningful updates (extra range, faster charging etc).
Everyone else is shooting at their market too.

Fundamentally if Kia want to sell a premium priced model, they need to pull their finger out with software both in the car and external apps, but also with service and communication. If not then they need to price the car against the likes of MG. Currently it feels like they're in no mans land.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
I guess it depends what you want.
At approx half the price, it's definately more than half the car, it will be plenty good enough for many people.

Those looking to replace a second car or just a normal (Ford, GM) type of car to just eat the miles as cheaply as possible will probably be attracted.

IMHO Kia seem to be giving you a 50k car, which is full of bugs then combining it with the arrogance you get from some "premium" brands dealers. That you should be grateful you have their car.

It's not a great place to be as VW group have everything from some seat/skoda offerings at lower price points, Audi at about the same and Porsche at higher price. The software updates are however coming thick and fast, with meaningful updates (extra range, faster charging etc).
Everyone else is shooting at their market too.

Fundamentally if Kia want to sell a premium priced model, they need to pull their finger out with software both in the car and external apps, but also with service and communication. If not then they need to price the car against the likes of MG. Currently it feels like they're in no mans land.
Don't think that VW are fault free they have massive issues with there ID range of electric vehicles, Brake problems, Electrical Issues, Stalling, Seat Belts, Headlights and wiring.

What you tend to find is forums etc are full of issues as most people go looking for answers to there issues.

No car manufactures is problem free and some are costing more then the EV6 with bigger issues.

Then you have Toyota massive issue with there new Electric car wheels being unsafe.

You just have to hope that whatever you choose ay whatever price point your car arrives problem free as it is certainly hit or miss with all manufactures not just Kia.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Don't think that VW are fault free they have massive issues with there ID range of electric vehicles, Brake problems, Electrical Issues, Stalling, Seat Belts, Headlights and wiring.

What you tend to find is forums etc are full of issues as most people go looking for answers to there issues.

No car manufactures is problem free and some are costing more then the EV6 with bigger issues.

Then you have Toyota massive issue with there new Electric car wheels being unsafe.

You just have to hope that whatever you choose ay whatever price point your car arrives problem free as it is certainly hit or miss with all manufactures not just Kia.
I’m choosing to stay with my fully owned diesel until EVs get sensible and well thought through. I don’t want to be a beta tester having spent £50k

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
I’m choosing to stay with my fully owned diesel until EVs get sensible and well thought through. I don’t want to be a beta tester having spent £50k
One Word: Diesel Gate.

Every car, make, model, engine etc etc as deep as you look has issues.

The fact you own one and do not owe anything on the car is another matter and as you have mentioned before a saving.

Good luck for the future, I wish you well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
One Word: Diesel Gate.

Every car, make, model, engine etc etc as deep as you look has issues.

The fact you own one and do not owe anything on the car is another matter and as you have mentioned before a saving.

Good luck for the future, I wish you well.
Yes, luckily I have one newer than that so a non issue.

I don’t pretend Kia are bad and everyone else is good. Kia are however inept at handling customer enquiries and software.

Hopefully they’ll fix it in time, because in theory I liked what was offered if not the reality as it is today.

181 - 200 of 220 Posts