Kia EV6 Forum banner
201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder what the result of this "off peak discount" will be.

Looks like some form of cash back. Sounds a bit too good to be true with the proposed numbers quoted.
It is understood one supplier suggested the savings offered to customers avoiding peak-time use should be between £1 to £2 per kWh.

·
Registered
279 Posts
OH Really, not for me and the interior center console looks like an Aircraft fold out table.

Not for me but each to their own.

No offense intended. (y)
None taken, but if range is the main factor and you can't afford EV6 and solar at the same time, then the MG4 (or the Megane E-Tech) would fit the bill.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wonder what the result of this "off peak discount" will be.

Looks like some form of cash back. Sounds a bit too good to be true with the proposed numbers quoted.
This is insane, especially compared to the paltry SEG tariff that you get paid for exporting solar (7.5p tops). All they need to do is add an off-peak rate to every tariff.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,962 Posts
None taken, but if range is the main factor and you can't afford EV6 and solar at the same time, then the MG4 (or the Megane E-Tech) would fit the bill.
VW ID Range?

Same price range for the basic ID3 model.

Comes with VW reliability rather then the MG one and you know VW is going to be around in a few years unlike the past few years with the MG badge.

·
Registered
279 Posts
VW ID Range?

Same price range for the basic ID3 model.

Comes with VW reliability rather then the MG one and you know VW is going to be around in a few years unlike the past few years with the MG badge.
Bit dull for my liking.. The only other car that looks cool for mid £30k money is the Fisker Ocean but I don't think anyone has even driven one yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
I was about to post the same and I imagine they won’t be the only ones.

Petrol now £1.51 and diesel £1.68/litre.

The diesel gets 62MPG (measured/calculated not trip computer) which is about 15MPL.

So petrol at 45mpg is 15p/mile and diesel is under 12p/mile.

I really feel for anyone in an EV right now as unless you’re running solar or cheapest overnight you’re not any cheaper on fuel and had to pay a high price to get one.

·
Super Moderator
2,962 Posts

The diesel gets 62MPG (measured/calculated not trip computer) which is about 15MPL.

I really feel for anyone in an EV right now as unless you’re running solar or cheapest overnight you’re not any cheaper on fuel and had to pay a high price to get one.
😮 Petrol round our way is between £1.61 and £1.80.

Shows how much it differs around the country,

·
Registered
68 Posts

I think your figures are best case scenario. Paid £1.80/l diesel this morning and my small engine returns a very respectable 52mpg. Those who are continuing with their EV order will have weighed it up for their situation.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
I think your figures are best case scenario. Paid £1.80/l diesel this morning and my small engine returns a very respectable 52mpg. Those who are continuing with their EV order will have weighed it up for their situation.
absolutely.

I’m just :eek: that there is even under much worse fuel prices limited fuel savings. For me the cost to own the EV completely cancelled out any advantage.

You do have to feel for people when did spend 50k not 30k and the difference has evaporated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are you here just to troll? Who buys an EV who can't charge at home or at work the majority of the time? Probably not many, and I didn't even buy an EV to save money. Electric cars are a hoot to drive. That rapid acceleration, and deacceleration you get in i-pedal mode is worth the premium.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Are you here just to troll?
Who buys an EV who can't charge at home or at work the majority of the time? Probably not many, and I didn't even buy an EV to save money. Electric cars are a hoot to drive. That rapid acceleration, and deacceleration you get in i-pedal mode is worth the premium.
No, I am not here to troll but we are all being pushed to change to an EV. Not everyone has a drive in this country and most people who want solar can’t get it for love nor money. As for cheap tariff charging, many won’t let you onto those tariffs and the rates for new customers on those who will are increasing.

Unlike a lot of a certain generation, those of us below a certain age don’t have money from booming house prices and either have to rent (and not be able to have a charger) or are mortgaged up to our eyeballs to afford a small house.

Many people are looking at EV myself included because it is better for the environment. Our neighbour has one coming, has a remote drive with no power and intends to use only public chargers.

I’m sorry we’re not all rich enough to not care about money and don’t all own big houses with drives to park and charge on.

Just because I agreed about the money issue and don’t think it adds up vs a diesel, why does that make me a troll? A troll winds you up , I am just pointing out an uncomfortable truth and got called a right wing nutter for that too.

Even at £2 a litre and only 45mpg in an ICE it’s 20p a mile, which will be no worse than a typical mix of home charging and remote charging for anyone that drives distance. Cheaper than for anyone without their own charger.

So no I’m not a troll, just because you don’t like what is being said, doesn’t make the fact that most people are not in your luxurious position any less true.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Even when (if) Diesel drops back to £1.46 per litre, that means my Volvo would be running at 14p mile. With the adjusted electricity cap coming in October, that would push the EV6 in theory to be 13-14p per mile for me.

So it would have a take a big drop in diesel (currently £1.83 where I am) to even match charging of the EV6. On top of that you have servicing (going to ignore road tax as my diesel is already £0) where my last one cost me £1k. Plus there will be times of shopping at places like Tesco where charging is free.

The EV6 to me still works out better (even my car insurance drops by £100 - did a quote the other days to prepare myself for a shock, only to find it was a good one)

·
Super Moderator
2,962 Posts
I was curious about this thread (being in the UK and affected by the big rise in cost of living) but will be reading no more. I am more than happy with my decision and eagerly await my EV6 🙂
(y)

·
Registered
279 Posts

No idea if this will work, it's my Octopus referral code. I've been reading that suppliers are not letting in new customers, maybe this will override that.

Disclosure : I earn £50 if you sign up thru this link.

·
Registered
Pearl white, ordered March 2022, expected Jan 2023 (probably later)
53 Posts
The referral link still gives you the warnings about switching etc, then prompts you to call them instead. You'd probably have to tell them on the call that you have a friend referral (whether or not they'd honour it, is another story).

·
Registered
279 Posts
The referral link still gives you the warnings about switching etc, then prompts you to call them instead. You'd probably have to tell them on the call that you have a friend referral (whether or not they'd honour it, is another story).
Well if anyone does use it, the code extracted from the URL is melon-teal-335 - make sure you quote it!!! 😀 I think anyone switching will be specifically looking for Octopus Go or Intelligent Octopus.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Even when (if) Diesel drops back to £1.46 per litre, that means my Volvo would be running at 14p mile. With the adjusted electricity cap coming in October, that would push the EV6 in theory to be 13-14p per mile for me.

So it would have a take a big drop in diesel (currently £1.83 where I am) to even match charging of the EV6. On top of that you have servicing (going to ignore road tax as my diesel is already £0) where my last one cost me £1k. Plus there will be times of shopping at places like Tesco where charging is free.

The EV6 to me still works out better (even my car insurance drops by £100 - did a quote the other days to prepare myself for a shock, only to find it was a good one)
I think it has to rise significantly more than the announced cap for it to not to make sense on the pure energy/fuel equation.

But factor in lower overall costs then it’s a no brainer.

If you have got it through a business then it is out of the park cheaper.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts