161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,962 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
In perpetration for my EV6, (which I have had for a few days now, and Is great), I got a trade account with a solar supplier and started putting in more solar panels around the house. 5 in the garden, 3 on the garage roof. One on the wall, and i'm thinking of adding more, if I can find a suitable cherry picker. This is on top of the 12 which I have had on the roof for 5 years. Putin is not going to stop me running my EV6. 😄

·
Super Moderator
2,962 Posts
Except that if energy costs are doubling, then the amount saved by using solar is also doubling, so the payback time should be cut in half.
Yes but still a long time to break even and that if the costs of energy does not drop down which all people in the UK are hoping will happen. 🤞

·
Registered
968 Posts
I won't be able to afford solar this year unfortunately or heat pumps. Need to ride out the storm.

Has anyone been able to try Bonnet? still looking cheaper than most variable rate home tariffs and under cuts public charger prices for Shell, Osprey, Genipoint, Ionity plus many more. I managed to get on a fixed tariff at home for 17.9p a KW, but for those who cant or didn't Bonnet may help get cheaper charging rates and comes with bonus/referals/free stuff monthly.

For example. Last month I got 25% off my next charge, month before than it was 50% off as they "Missed me" lol, I have seen 100% free next chargers as well. I have a code for free £15 to get started. Bonnet is still not as cheap as Charge Place Scotland 15p a KW in Dunfermline, 35p KW in Edinburgh I think but for other places Ionity is like 69p a KW.... Shell 50p, and so on. Bonnet can be as cheap as 40p a KW on these public chargers so not a BIG discount but something. if anyone wants to give it a bash let me know via DM, as I don't like charging codes publicly here, admins might think I am selling something, anyway it's a free £15 for you and for me type of thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,962 Posts
In perpetration for my EV6, (which I have had for a few days now, and Is great), I got a trade account with a solar supplier and started putting in more solar panels around the house. 5 in the garden, 3 on the garage roof. One on the wall, and i'm thinking of adding more, if I can find a suitable cherry picker. This is on top of the 12 which I have had on the roof for 5 years. Putin is not going to stop me running my EV6. 😄
😂 If you can install them you could be missing a business venture. (y)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Certainly for those getting into EVs for a saving, the case has changed. Who knows how long this will take to blow over, also my feeling is that getting electric at 14p a unit or so is never coming back, whereas it is possible that petrol/diesel will come down a bit, so the case is damaged for good.

However, for me, I was looking at it as a new stage, moving to EV just for the experience of it. The financial case never made sense in my personal situation anyway, it is not a company car, no salary sacrifice, I'm paying outright, and I generally only do 7K or so a year.

"refueling" costs going up between ordering and now does take the shine of things a little, but is not a deal breaker in my situation.

Mind you, It is for sure the case that I could do a lot wiser things with that £52K . Only the fact that I effectively got all my money back on a 2 year old disco sport that I bought from new, meaning that I need to add just £4K to that amount, I would not be in the EV6 queue.

So much has changed in the last year, and with continued uncertainty going forward, people are wise to re-assess their priorities.

·
Registered
168 Posts
😂 If you can install them you could be missing a business venture. (y)
It's not hard! I partnered with solar wholesale here in the US who specializes in partnering you with the design teams who create the grid layout, electrical needs, get signed off by engineer and gives you resources for codes and permits. All you do is follow the instructions. I did it myself with some heavy lifting assistance from neighbors and saved about 50k USD on my install. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone in the UK doing something similar.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
It's not hard! I partnered with solar wholesale here in the US who specializes in partnering you with the design teams who create the grid layout, electrical needs, get signed off by engineer and gives you resources for codes and permits. All you do is follow the instructions. I did it myself with some heavy lifting assistance from neighbors and saved about 50k USD on my install. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone in the UK doing something similar.
Except we don't have state inspection, we need to be an MCS approved installer to be able to export and do the DNO paperwork. I imagine in both places the connection to the fuse box need approval too.

People are doing it here, ticking the boxes, but it's like 80s double glazing salesmen promising the earth.
An example, one company I spoke to had quoted tiled roof screw in framing. When I pointed out it was a metal roof and they were unsuitable, the answer was "the metal ones are out of stock, these will hold it as we will drill through into the joists and silicon will keep the water out".

Surprise surprise they didn't get our business, but it's going to be a right mess in a few years time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes but still a long time to break even and that if the costs of energy does not drop down which all people in the UK are hoping will happen. 🤞
At current rates (£0.29 kWh) your payback should be less than 10 years. That's the equivalent of earning a (taxable) 8%p.a. on a deposit account if there was any such thing available in the UK. If you're also paid for feeding energy back to the grid, that's non-taxable as well although the feed-in-tariff rates are a joke right now. Then there's the value-add to your property to consider & the probability that the panels ought to make it a bit more sellable. I agree with @tangey that £0.14 kWh for electricity is not coming back any time soon and what with Mad Vlad predictably cutting gas supplies off to zero, the upward pressure on utility prices is here for the foreseeable (meaning 2+ years more) future. All in all, if you can install panels it makes sense to consider an EV.

Reactions: Logicpro8

·
Super Moderator
2,962 Posts
At current rates (£0.29 kWh) your payback should be less than 10 years. That's the equivalent of earning a (taxable) 8%p.a. on a deposit account if there was any such thing available in the UK. If you're also paid for feeding energy back to the grid, that's non-taxable as well although the feed-in-tariff rates are a joke right now. Then there's the value-add to your property to consider & the probability that the panels ought to make it a bit more sellable. I agree with @tangey that £0.14 kWh for electricity is not coming back any time soon and what with Mad Vlad predictably cutting gas supplies off to zero, the upward pressure on utility prices is here for the foreseeable (meaning 2+ years more) future. All in all, if you can install panels it makes sense to consider an EV.
The house value is more or less zero, looked into this and was advised it may make the house more sellable but certainly would not add much if any value.

You have to really say your not going to move for 5 to 10 years to break even.

Most people would struggle to be able to commit to that time frame, I struggle to know my plans year to year.

You are right its the wrong approach to sell it back, better to install a storage battery to use the extra electricity yourself but that adds further costs and years to the scheme.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The house value is more or less zero, looked into this and was advised it may make the house more sellable but certainly would not add much if any value.

You have to really say your not going to move for 5 to 10 years to break even.

Most people would struggle to be able to commit to that time frame, I struggle to know my plans year to year.

You are right its the wrong approach to sell it back, better to install a storage battery to use the extra electricity yourself but that adds further costs and years to the scheme.
I'm going to do a write up over the weekend on the Givenergy Hybrid Inverter and Battery which has basically reduced my electricity costs to zero apart for charging which is at 7.5p, allows me to use 50 percent more energy than before and heats the hot water, saving off the gas bill. Its probably able to run a couple of panel heaters over the winter too.
Quick summary : if you can afford it, do it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm going to do a write up over the weekend on the Givenergy Hybrid Inverter and Battery which has basically reduced my electricity costs to zero apart for charging which is at 7.5p, allows me to use 50 percent more energy than before and heats the hot water, saving off the gas bill. Its probably able to run a couple of panel heaters over the winter too.
Quick summary : if you can afford it, do it.
Definitely. We are just waiting for a second battery for ours as sometimes in winter it runs out or can't provide enough current for everything. Have you set the emergency power supply up?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Definitely. We are just waiting for a second battery for ours as sometimes in winter it runs out or can't provide enough current for everything. Have you set the emergency power supply up?
No I'm getting a quote for it. Nice to be able to run the lights, but there is risk of damaging the inverter. I've said if the power goes off for 24hrs, then I will get it done. I can run some of house from the EV6 via V2L so trying to avoid the extra cost at the moment.

I'm planning to start the electric heaters at 3.30 am so that the heat up will be on grid at 7.5p so it doesn't use the battery at the start.

We have a small house so only 2 bedrooms and the lounge would need heating. The lounge in the day and the bedrooms for a couple of hours in the evening so with clever programming only 1 will be in use at a time for the warm up phase.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's now been announced about the £2,500 price cap from 1st October, will be interesting to see what that actually translates into for price per kWh. Going from £1,971 to £2,500 is 26.8% so my current £0.27/kWh might become £0.32/kWh (my maths might be off)

If I'm right, that will still make the car cheaper to run than my diesel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I'm just working that out, but a salary sacrifce scheme might make it worth me cancelling then reordering.
Alternatively I could get the company to talk to the SS lease company and see if they can make it worthwhile.

161 - 180 of 220 Posts