Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if the 12 v battery is automatically recharging from the big battery. In my ioniq you could see in the blue charging light. Is this in the EV6 automatically or do you have to do it in the set up off the car? And so where do you do it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know there is a utility mode that allows electric systems to run off the main battery rather than the 12v

View attachment 751
Why doesn't it run everything from the main battery pack to begin with and forego the 12V battery altogether.
It's an electric car after all, couldn't they have just made everything run from the battery pack and not put a 12v battery that will leave you stranded if the battery is dead?

This 12v battery B.S. leaving you stranded is a big turn off for me when it comes to making the decision to go from ICE to EV.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
309 Posts
Why doesn't it run everything from the main battery pack to begin with and forego the 12V battery altogether.
It's an electric car after all, couldn't they have just made everything run from the battery pack and not put a 12v battery that will leave you stranded if the battery is dead?

This 12v battery B.S. leaving you stranded is a big turn off for me when it comes to making the decision to go from ICE to EV.
Well Joe, when you're counting every mile that you can squeeze out of a battery pack, all of the sudden running accessories starts to make a difference. Same reason that ICE cars converted to electric power steering years ago to reduce draw and fuel consumption.

The other part is that using that huge high voltage batter pack to power little LED's and electronics is like trying to use a leaf blower to blow out candles on a birthday cake. LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keeping high and low voltage systems separate is a security thing. The separation is through relays except when charging the 12V battery. To me it looks like this is done too seldom, which can result in not ideal charge level on the 12V battery.

Since most car electronics has been 12V for ages, EV's use that as the low voltage aswell.

The question then is why they use lead acid batteries instead of smaller and lighter Li-whatever batteries. I guess the answer is cost and "it's what we've used until now", aka conservatism.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The question then is why they use lead acid batteries instead of smaller and lighter Li-whatever batteries. I guess the answer is cost and "it's what we've used until now", aka conservatism.
I'd generally agree with you when it comes to legacy manufacturers....but Tesla use a standard 12v battery too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a lot of eletrical items come of the shelf for 12V, so this is logic to use 12V. But that would not require a second battery. But is also from a safety perspective.
When you stop the car a relay disconnects the 800v battery from all other electric systems (except charger components) meaning that all electric devices no longer have a connection with the Battery.

But you would still like to be able to turn on the car (Activate the relay), get inside the car using remote. This requires power that is seperate from the big battery which requires a battery or other energy storage device. Where 12v battery is the most common (cheap) one and then it's also cheap to connect standard car components on the low voltage network..

I would be surprised if this lasts for another decade when BEV become the standard over ICE..
Not sure why they not keep the battery charged constanlty when it's driving and you hear (not EV6 specific) that these batteries run out of power.

Not sure if V2L depends on the 12v battery, it would be funny to enable the use V2L to charge the 12V battery :oops: when it is drained for some reason...

·
Registered
89 Posts
As a lot of eletrical items come of the shelf for 12V, so this is logic to use 12V. But that would not require a second battery. But is also from a safety perspective.
When you stop the car a relay disconnects the 800v battery from all other electric systems (except charger components) meaning that all electric devices no longer have a connection with the Battery.

But you would still like to be able to turn on the car (Activate the relay), get inside the car using remote. This requires power that is seperate from the big battery which requires a battery or other energy storage device. Where 12v battery is the most common (cheap) one and then it's also cheap to connect standard car components on the low voltage network..

I would be surprised if this lasts for another decade when BEV become the standard over ICE..
Not sure why they not keep the battery charged constanlty when it's driving and you hear (not EV6 specific) that these batteries run out of power.

Not sure if V2L depends on the 12v battery, it would be funny to enable the use V2L to charge the 12V battery :oops: when it is drained for some reason...
V2L is 240 volt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
V2L comes out of the charge plug. That plug should not be connected to the 12V system, but to the HV either directly DC/DC or AC/DC converted ("internal charger"). Reversing a AC/DC converter sounds "impossible", so there is a DC/AC converter there somewhere.

The intreesting part of this is that there is a 230V plug inside the car aswell. Does that go on the same circuitry? I guess yes, since that is not available on cars without V2L.

I wonder how the Skoda Enyaq delivers it's 230V available in the centre conso besides USB-C.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a bit confused with this 12v system. Many months ago, when stating mileage performance at 328 miles, we were told this would drop if you were driving in the night with lights, wipers, music and heater/AC on. If these are off the 12v battery, what's that got to do with mileage ?

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
309 Posts
I'm a bit confused with this 12v system. Many months ago, when stating mileage performance at 328 miles, we were told this would drop if you were driving in the night with lights, wipers, music and heater/AC on. If these are off the 12v battery, what's that got to do with mileage ?
The main draw on range comes from the HVAC. The LED lighting and stereo are small items that literally might cost you a mile or two over a full charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts