Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my EV6 for around 2 weeks and have had 2 12v battery failures. The first was fixed by Kia via the RAC who explained how to fix it. Tha second time I got it going Ok and took it to the garage for investigation. They found nothing. Both times the car had been left overnight and the 12v battery had only 3.5v in it. Expecting more trouble. I have ordered a jump start battery pack to cover if (or when) it does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As far as I know, a 12v battery that has been depleted that low is not recoverable, I'd be asking the dealer to replace it with a new one

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
As far as I know, a 12v battery that has been depleted that low is not recoverable, I'd be asking the dealer to replace it with a new one
KD, you are spot on! It may take a recharge, but I have to believe its life as been compromised. The early release Mach-e's suffered from the same problem. A charging module reprogramming seems to have fixed the issue for them with the exception of a small number of owners that had a "bad" battery as OE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 12 volt is not completely flat after not using the car for two days. I also have a problem with Climate control receiveing the message Cable not connected. Could it be that the 12 volt is draind by the scheduled climate control, even though the climate control isn´t activated? Or does anyone have an idea what´s draining it?

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
My 12 volt is not completely flat after not using the car for two days. I also have a problem with Climate control receiveing the message Cable not connected. Could it be that the 12 volt is draind by the scheduled climate control, even though the climate control isn´t activated? Or does anyone have an idea what´s draining it?
Torgen; When you say "not completely flat " what does that mean in terms of SOC? A low 12 volt battery will affect the rest of the cars systems / operating control modules etc. etc.. The question in your case is whether that is the problem (low voltage 12 volt battery) or are there other extenuating issues to consider? Are you able to get a voltmeter on the battery to get a reading? Exactly what would it take to get a voltage reading on the 12 volt battery in this car? Can someone take a picture of how the 12 volt battery is positioned in the EV6? I know in the Mach E it is pretty difficult to get to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, it should be "now" completely flat, i.e 3,4 volt. So I had to charge it, to be able to start the car and drive it to the shop, were they´ll examine it tomorrow for the problem with the climatge control. It´s very easy to get to the battery in the EV6.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
Sorry, it should be "now" completely flat, i.e 3,4 volt. So I had to charge it, to be able to start the car and drive it to the shop, were they´ll examine it tomorrow for the problem with the climatge control. It´s very easy to get to the battery in the EV6.
When you get your car back can you take a picture of the placement of the battery? Good luck! Let us know what the shop finds out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can someone take a picture of how the 12 volt battery is positioned in the EV6? I know in the Mach E it is pretty difficult to get to.
It's just below, and to the right of the frunk, if you're facing it. You can partially see it in the pic below. You can also see the seam in the frunk right above it. That pops out to give you easier access to it.

Edit: actually, there are even better pics in this post: Rant needed over 12v

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
106 Posts
I can't help but think that the corrosion shown here on the negative terminal is either the results of a bad battery or perhaps something much worse. Either way not good!

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
57 Posts
I can't help but think that the corrosion shown here on the negative terminal is either the results of a bad battery or perhaps something much worse. Either way not good!
Think that may have been sprayed with something to stop it corroding! ;)

John.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Went to unlock my EV6 yesterday morning and the 12v battery was dead. Thankfully it seemed to use its dying gasp to unlock the doors and I was able to get in. The battery was showing 4.3v on a multimeter. I've dropped it to my Kia dealer, there is a couple of week backlog on a new battery, but they've charged mine up and apparently it is holding a charge, I might push for a new battery anyway though. They are not entirely sure what caused it to drain, which is a little concerning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went to unlock my EV6 yesterday morning and the 12v battery was dead. Thankfully it seemed to use its dying gasp to unlock the doors and I was able to get in. The battery was showing 4.3v on a multimeter. I've dropped it to my Kia dealer, there is a couple of week backlog on a new battery, but they've charged mine up and apparently it is holding a charge, I might push for a new battery anyway though. They are not entirely sure what caused it to drain, which is a little concerning.
I was told by my dealer, who had my car in today that there is a software update for 12volt battery discharge issues, although my car didn’t need it. Would be well worth you chasing your dealer over this...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the issue twice now, I'm a little concerned because i'm going to be leaving my car at the airport for 4 days soon, hope I don't come back to a dead 12v battery for the third time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know with the one I got, if the voltage is too low you have to long press the boost button to force it to turn on, tested it the other day on my Nissan leaf which coincidentally had a dead 12v battery after sitting idle for a month and it worked that way

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know with the one I got, if the voltage is too low you have to long press the boost button to force it to turn on, tested it the other day on my Nissan leaf which coincidentally had a dead 12v battery after sitting idle for a month and it worked that way
Brilliant, thanks very much for the heads up. (y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts