Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start the car this morning and a pop up displayed that the 12v battery was low. Is there a way to get the car to charge it? I have 90% battery in the vehicle so plenty! I’m not sure why it’s not working. Yesterday I only drove to school and back for the round trip maybe 10 minutes each trip.

noticed this morning it wanted me to tap the key FOB to the button too. Never saw that before. Related maybe?

· Registered
67 Posts
The only way to force a charge up is to take a long drive.

Otherwise, it's totally unknown how often the 12V is trickle-charged from the main battery.

Also make sure you lock the car at night. If you leave it unlocked in your garage, it's in a constant state of readiness and using up electricity from the 12V.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only way to force a charge up is to take a long drive.

Otherwise, it's totally unknown how often the 12V is trickle-charged from the main battery.

Also make sure you lock the car at night. If you leave it unlocked in your garage, it's in a constant state of readiness and using up electricity from the 12V.
wow that might very well be it. I never lock the car in the garage. It’s been using battery 12v on that the entire time?

also Is there any way to check how much 12v charge there is so I know when it’s low?

saw a good jumper that roadside had. I think I need to get one handy to avoid days like this. Ended up Kate for a few things today.

· Registered
67 Posts
Unfortunately, the car doesn't have any indicators on the 12V battery level. You'd need an external device to measure it.

And yes, I just got myself a $45 battery jump starter to keep in the back anytime I need to drive a bit farther than my local roads. Got it after leaving my trunk door opened over night .. ooops.

· Registered
282 Posts
I've also seen it theorized that you shouldn't keep the fob in range of the car - if you've got it on a hook near the garage it may keep the car from "sleeping".
I've seen that theory as well....so....I keep the keys to ours in a "farraday bag" which prohibits that AND prohibits "hackers" from using their skills to access vehicles parked outdoors!

· Registered
2022 EV6 GT-line AWD
65 Posts
Went to start the car this morning and a pop up displayed that the 12v battery was low. Is there a way to get the car to charge it? I have 90% battery in the vehicle so plenty! I’m not sure why it’s not working. Yesterday I only drove to school and back for the round trip maybe 10 minutes each trip.

noticed this morning it wanted me to tap the key FOB to the button too. Never saw that before. Related maybe?
I've read that setting the car to Utility Mode is a dependable way to charge the 12v battery. I've used this mode several times overnight while camping to run a small 12v refrigerator and SOC loss was only 4-5 percent over about 12 hours.

· Registered
283 Posts
That is correct. V2l, when driving, but also when locked it will charge the 12v battery.

not unlocked and powered off or in traditional accessory mode.

when it powered off orange light in top of dash will light up

no need to keep the key in faraday box for theft.
It has Motion sensor in it which will disable key when it is not moving. Too prevent burglar picking up signal when key it near door

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update - I had roadside come to the garage and did a jump. Took all of one minute once they arrived so yea, having the jumper is a great investment in case this happens. Perhaps this was a one off, and maybe this story will help someone else. If it occurs again, though, it would indicate trouble getting the 12v to charge so I'll need to keep an eye on that.

· Registered
225 Posts
I think that you are wrong. I never lock my car while it is parked in my garage, and I can tell by the Battery Monitor app that it does 'go to sleep' all the time it is parked. I have seen the orange light on (occasionally) indicating that it is charging the 12V battery from the HV battery.

· Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Extended
137 Posts
Here is a problem I'm having with my Wind AWD extended EV6:

If the 12v battery is NOT in a charge state and I plug in the EVSE cable to charge the HV battery, everything works fine. Charging starts (voice confirmation) and the converter also starts charging the 12v battery according to my 12v battery monitor. Great.

If the 12v battery is in a charging state and I plug in the EVSE to charge the HV battery, the 12v charge stops but the HV charge continues and voltage on the 12v battery will drop below 12v in a matter of minutes. The battery management system will continue drain the 12v battery until everything shuts down if I let it go that far. I have duplicated the issue more than once and it is repeatable but I have to catch it when the 12v battery is being charged to do this.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I called Kia this morning to log a complaint but they won't treat it as a real problem until a dealer duplicates the problem.

· Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Extended
137 Posts
What Jump Starter are you guys using?
I don't have one and have never used one. The issue I'm having isn't with the battery itself but I believe is a firmware issue that handles charging the 12v battery. And since the 12v battery is only 7 months old and doesn't appear to be defective, if mine fails at home I have a lead acid charger to bring it back.

· Administrator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
3,597 Posts
I don't have one and have never used one. The issue I'm having isn't with the battery itself but I believe is a firmware issue that handles charging the 12v battery. And since the 12v battery is only 7 months old and doesn't appear to be defective, if mine fails at home I have a lead acid charger to bring it back.
(y)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts