Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you have that level of control over it (I mean, you can leave it in a garage with power), disconnecting the 12V and putting it on a tender is certainly the safest strategy. With the 12V disconnected after power off, the only HV battery drain will be its own self-discharge (a few percent per year)
Yup....think that's the way I will go when I get the vehicle.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not that it's a huge surprise, but I've been sick for the last week and my car hand't moved in 5 days. I pulled it out this morning using smart park assist to give it a wash, and after having the trunk open a few minutes to vacuum, it finally gave up the ghost and wouldn't unlock. Interestingly, the mirrors still folded and unfolded.

Jump box worked perfectly and painlessly, then I had to plug it in to get the 12V back on charge. Interestingly, it WOULD NOT run the DCDC converter while plugged in, even when I turned it on to READY first. READY was charging the battery, but then when I plugged in the DCDC turned OFF. I changed my AC charge limit up to 90% so it'd start charging the HV battery, and after power cycling and re-plugging it's now charging both HV and 12V.

I DID take the opportunity to disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes in hopes that'd reset my somehow-faulty "Battery saver +" state where it now won't self-recharge. I guess we'll see in a few days whether that accomplished anything.

This car's 12V state machine is definitely broken AF.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not that it's a huge surprise, but I've been sick for the last week and my car hand't moved in 5 days. I pulled it out this morning using smart park assist to give it a wash, and after having the trunk open a few minutes to vacuum, it finally gave up the ghost and wouldn't unlock. Interestingly, the mirrors still folded and unfolded.

Jump box worked perfectly and painlessly, then I had to plug it in to get the 12V back on charge. Interestingly, it WOULD NOT run the DCDC converter while plugged in, even when I turned it on to READY first. READY was charging the battery, but then when I plugged in the DCDC turned OFF. I changed my AC charge limit up to 90% so it'd start charging the HV battery, and after power cycling and re-plugging it's now charging both HV and 12V.

I DID take the opportunity to disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes in hopes that'd reset my somehow-faulty "Battery saver +" state where it now won't self-recharge. I guess we'll see in a few days whether that accomplished anything.

This car's 12V state machine is definitely broken AF.
Hmmmmmm......confusing if you are NOT 100% in on how all it all works!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wife and I just returned from an 8 week trip n our Motorhome. Had car charged to 80%, and as per advice from Kia, we kept fobs away from car, and never went into app. Upon returning, grabbed fob, walked by car and it woke up, Orange light on dash lit up and mirrors extended. Jumped in car, atrates right up, no issues. Main battery had dropped from 80% to 76% over the 8:weeks.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts