Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT line AWD Yacht Blue
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a cheap level 1 EVSE for a new EV6 until I get a new circuit installed. The units I'm seeing on Amazon around $200 for 5-15 outlets say they provide up to 16 amps, which is too much for a 15 amp circuit.
Will the "minimum" charge speed setting on the EV6 reduce current to 12 amps so that it won't overload the circuit?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
230 Posts
I'm looking to buy a cheap level 1 EVSE for a new EV6 until I get a new circuit installed. The units I'm seeing on Amazon around $200 for 5-15 outlets say they provide up to 16 amps, which is too much for a 15 amp circuit.
Will the "minimum" charge speed setting on the EV6 reduce current to 12 amps so that it won't overload the circuit?
Thanks in advance.
No, it won’t overload the circuit, unless you plug other devices such as an electric heater at max heat on the same circuit. Remember, that unless it’s is a dedicated 15A circuit, it is likely shared by multiple receptacles in your house.

The cables can go as high as 16A on the appropriate circuit, again as mentioned. They are limited to max 12A on 15A circuit.

I agree, stop looking on Amazon, unless it has the Westabo TurboCord dual-voltage charger as mentioned above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts