Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
471 Posts
Does the U.S. spec GT have a sunroof? Between the range hit and the loss of memory seats, not sure which route I want to go now, GT vs GT-line.
If this is your only car and you take weekend/long road trips... I'm not sure the GT is ideal.

I owned a Mach-E GT PE and it was a fricking power hog (sub 2.6 mi/kWh efficiency at 70-75mph) and the range hit was 50+ miles from a Premium AWD ER to that trim. If this is your secondary car you use for commuting and fun weekend drives.. GT all the way.

· Registered
471 Posts
Depends a lot on how much you drive everyday. I have FE and I get about 3.2 mi/kWh at 70mph. I don't plan to drive 200+ miles everyday but the experience is pretty good and I do not get range anxiety for daily commutes.
I had a Mach-E Premium AWD ER - which like the EV6 had around 3.1 to 3.3 mi/kWh efficiency on my 12 mile highway commute with 2 miles of local roads.

The GT PE...lol... sub 2.6 mi/kWh on the same route. The 20" summer performance tires. The overpowered motors. It was like driving a rollercoaster. I still loved it but the track mode sucked (I took it to Daytona Speedway twice) and it refused to trigger in 4 of the 6 laps and one time it triggered a Service Vehicle Soon warning so I could not drive it anymore that day. Basically I'm hoping the EV6 GT has a better track mode and I'm expecting 2.6 mi/kWh efficiency from it.

· Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, but Ford doesn't disengage the front motor for efficiency, right? When running as an RWD the GT should have similar drivetrain efficiency to the other trims.
Correct. Both are permanent magnet motors (super inefficient design - Tesla and VW use induction motors in front).

After 76mph the EV6 front motor engages anyhow so there's no benefit of being in Eco except constant 70mph on the highway (which is a tad slow and dangerous here in FL). Motor RPM and the front disconnect

I'd be interested in hearing if the front is always engaged because of the hard acceleration capability of the GT. These performance EVs can zip from 50 to 90mph in sub 3 seconds.

Anyhow tires + wheels contribute to most of the difference. BMW i4 M50 with and without the 20" performance tires is a massive range difference - with everything else being the same. 40+ miles.

· Registered
471 Posts
The Lucid Air has far more power and is more efficient than the EV6 GT. I suspect the range hit is at least partially attributable to wheels and tires. If so, Kia should offer a higher range option with less aggressive wheel and tire combo. It feels like they've subtracted too much, with the loss of range, power seats, seat ventilation, and possibly the sunroof. I would like to be comfortable while blowing folks away at stoplights.
[/QUOTE]

I think they made it trackable. If the EV6 GT doesn't have any sort of ESC disable and removal of nannies for the track.. then this GT is a bust to me. The crappy track mode of the Mach-E GT PE is why I dumped it (second reason was poor bouncy suspension in every mode except Unbridled). The summer tires and bucket races seats were awesome though.

· Registered
471 Posts
That's rather disappointing. I guess the compromises are the reason the premium isn't higher. They took a lot of content out of the vehicle and the range hit is brutal. Now I'm curious to see what changes with the Ioniq N. I just can't get excited about the Ioniq 5 like I can about the EV6. The EV6 is like a spaceship. The Ioniq is like a retro themed living room on wheels.
Range is meaningless if this is a commuter/weekend car and not for long-road trips (any more than 1-2 DC charging stops).

My dealer tried to submit a GT order but Kia did not allow it so orders aren't open yet.

· Registered
471 Posts
Dumb question--how is it that the Wind AWD can be rated at the same 274 mile range as that of the GT-Line, given that the Wind trim (regardless of whether RWD or AWD) comes with 19" wheels vs. 20" for the GT-Line trim? Anecdotal evidence has shown that wheel/tire size can affect overall range, so how can a Wind AWD have the same rated 274 mile range as that of a GT-Line AWD?
2023 values are more in line with reality. 282 for the Wind AWD and 252 for the GT-Line AWD.
Both Wind and GT-Line RWD have 310 because they both use 19” wheels.

Same thing happened with the Mach-E figures over three model years. They were bumped and tweaked to match real world ranges because the initial numbers didn’t make much sense.

· Registered
471 Posts
Curious how, as they aren't even in the system for order.
Not surprised at all. Kia did the same with the 2023 Tellurides. They sent "random" (because I have no idea how they were allocated) Tellurides to dealerships before ordering fully opened up. I had a lingering 22 order that needed to be converted and I was only able to convert after Kia posted the official build configs on the website. Basically 23 Tellurides arrived on dealer lots across the country 2 weeks before I could officially order one.

· Registered
471 Posts
We have a reservation but we need more range than that.
I wager next year newer lighter batteries with more range may appear
Bjorn showed extra weight had negligible effect on range. Aerodynamics and wheel/tire sizes are more important.

Also limiting hp does very little. An ID.4 Pro RWD has max 201hp and yet the highway efficiency of that EV is approximately 3.0 mi/kWh with a 82 kWh (gross) battery.

What the E-GMP EVs need is a larger battery. (figures all gross) Ariya has 87 kWh. Mach-E has 99 kWh. Lyriq has 100+ kWh. Or you build a sleek bubble shape like the Ioniq 5 or Model 3/Y.

· Registered
471 Posts
45*f, 2.2mi/kw, 70mph cruise no traffic pretty flat terrain, 29mi run. My GTL runs 3.2mi/kw in same exact run.
Sounds right. My Mach-E Premium AWD ER (19") is averaging 3.5 mi/kWh in Florida and my GT PE trim (20" performance tires) was averaging 2.6-2.7 mi/kWh with the same type of driving.

Still, was the acceleration and extra power worth it?

· Registered
471 Posts
Absolutely mind blowing car. The acceleration and power is awesome and giggle causing. You just can't help but start laughing as you are slammed back in the seat and race to warp speed.

But beyond that it handles extremely well. It really is an amazing package.

The unfortunate thing is the front calipers are so large I do not think it is possible to put a 20" wheel on it. That would drastically open up tire options for those of us needing all season tires, both more variety and less expensive.
Yeah these performance EVs are step up over the "slow" (lol) AWD trims.

You probably didn't try the track mode because that's what I'm most interested in. The Mach-E GT PE only allowed it to be enabled over 80% SoC and under certain conditions which made it useless.

· Registered
471 Posts
Do you have a link to the article? Also, looks like if the ev6 gt isnt available, Im definitely going model Y performance.

Might be paywalled. Part of the Dec 2022 issue.

I’m debating between a i4 M50 and EV6 GT. I took over an i4 AWD (own a RWD) order and it has moved very quickly. Should be at my dealership by end of year. I’m no longer interested in swapping EVs unless it is an upgrade.

· Registered
471 Posts
If they only allocate a few hundred they will be selling for $80-$90k or more...

Kia Corporate is selling it as their performance vehicle replacing the stinger. They moved a lot more than 200 stingers a year.
There's no way they'd sell at $80K. There are only a few hundred i4 M50s in the US and you can get a fully loaded one with an individual (custom) color for under $85K. But I guess there are idiots out there and that's why US repo rates are skyrocketing.

· Registered
471 Posts
If you wanted one, you should have. There are only a few hundred coming to the US.
Let's be honest.. somebody should be taking away my ordering privileges. Lol.

I have a Wind with Tech arriving in 10-ish days, a BMW i4 M50 (fully loaded) that's built and sitting in Germany, a Solterra arriving in Dec (yeah... no thanks), a Bronco order that is scheduled for production in two weeks (only keeping this because I'm attending a Ford Off-Roadeo for free), and I was just offered a fully loaded 2023 RAV Prime XSE because I put my name down on a list back in Jan 2022. All at MSRP except the R4P which was supposed to be but the dealer has since forced an add-on.

I'm buying one car from the above list and abandoning the rest... if I happen to buy none then I'm ordering the GT :)

· Registered
471 Posts
I Had a 2021 r4p xse. I almost died in it. Of boredom.
I had two... lol. It's a great car if it's your ONLY one. I was hoping for major 2023 upgrades but alas... just a new infotainment + dashboard display.

I see the new GT comes in three colors... one of which is red. The fastest color of course. Gotta have that one!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts