Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line Yacht Blue
110 Posts
If this is your only car and you take weekend/long road trips... I'm not sure the GT is ideal.

I owned a Mach-E GT PE and it was a fricking power hog (sub 2.6 mi/kWh efficiency at 70-75mph) and the range hit was 50+ miles from a Premium AWD ER to that trim. If this is your secondary car you use for commuting and fun weekend drives.. GT all the way.
That is my concern too, the severe range hit. I don't road trip much, but out here in the west there are a few stretches in UT, CO, ID that a 206mi rated vehicle might not make the jump to next charger given efficiency loss, wind, hills etc..

That said I am eager to put hands on one. For me it is a daily rig, few road trips. Very curious about handling beyond speed. I don't care for drift mode gimmick give me a sharp handling sport wagon to throw in the Twisties and carve a corner.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Has anyone (looking at you European members!) been able to actually sit in one and can share what the seats are like?

Memory is cool, but if it is a good bucket I have found memory is not as important. Folks often seat a sea a certain way to feel held in the car. A good bucket will do that on it's own and make you feel part of the car without having infinite, micro adjustment like a memory seat. Slide fore aft for pedals, set seat back angle and send it!! Losing ventilated is a bummer, but heated is more important imho.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's rather disappointing. I guess the compromises are the reason the premium isn't higher. They took a lot of content out of the vehicle and the range hit is brutal. Now I'm curious to see what changes with the Ioniq N. I just can't get excited about the Ioniq 5 like I can about the EV6. The EV6 is like a spaceship. The Ioniq is like a retro themed living room on wheels.
Range hit is my biggest concern, as is the loss of the heated steering wheel. I get range loss when you ham foot it, but 50mi loss across the board is a huge drop in range, talking like 20% drop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My sales person from Car Pros Kia in Renton, Wa just texted me saying they got the first one in the state in right now! they don't expect another for 2 months. He is reaching out to previous customers to find a buyer. I'm gonna pass, but contact Ben Zurcher @ 253 200 6306 if you want to snag your gt!
Yeah pretty crazy, they not even show in transit yet per xisve.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
I dont have your highway, but Ill test my c40 at 70, flat. Its 37f here.
Well, it was windy and snowing, so I did not.
I have been trying to extrapolate a mi/kw to run for abrp. As I know when my car said 3.2mi/kw to get ABRP to match actual range at % I had to set the Mi/KW @ 65mph to up over 3.5mi/kw.
I did not have time to get real full data like Mi vs % on the GT during that one run, I am only taking what the dash said for the drive.

Using a roughly 1mi/kw loss I threw 2.5kw/[email protected] in for reference. Based on what I have been trying it appears a run my GTL will make without needing to charge I would have to stop and do a big charge to make it to destination with power to then get to a charger in that area. There is a trip I normally do once a year that would take 2 all the way to 80% stops (one adding a significant amount of miles to the normal trip) and be getting there with only 10%. My GTL can make it in one stop and get about same % at destination.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Basically, the GT will never pass up a charger on road trips, lol. Gotta pay to play, whether money, time, or range anxiety. I still think Kia should offer a more efficient wheelt/tire option. That 205 range is like E-tron territory. How are the suede seats in heat? I heard they're from the Elantra N.
My concern is getting out of my area over the pass on i90 to east side of state there is a long hop with nothing for dcfc. Need to be able to make the hop, and initial rough calc would mean sitting at a dcfc till over 95% to arrive with about 10%. If my estimation is wrong it could possibly not make it. The resort at summit really should have invested to get a station setup, it would be a huge draw for them.

My gtl has suede package but also ventilated. That said the gtl suede did not feel hot by any means even without using the ventilation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds right. My Mach-E Premium AWD ER (19") is averaging 3.5 mi/kWh in Florida and my GT PE trim (20" performance tires) was averaging 2.6-2.7 mi/kWh with the same type of driving.

Still, was the acceleration and extra power worth it?
Absolutely mind blowing car. The acceleration and power is awesome and giggle causing. You just can't help but start laughing as you are slammed back in the seat and race to warp speed.

But beyond that it handles extremely well. It really is an amazing package.

The unfortunate thing is the front calipers are so large I do not think it is possible to put a 20" wheel on it. That would drastically open up tire options for those of us needing all season tires, both more variety and less expensive.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah these performance EVs are step up over the "slow" (lol) AWD trims.

You probably didn't try the track mode because that's what I'm most interested in. The Mach-E GT PE only allowed it to be enabled over 80% SoC and under certain conditions which made it useless.
There is no track mode, only drift mode.
Decouples front end and let's rear motor use it's full possible power. Turns it into a high powered RWD sportscar.

Not something to really fully use on public roads so I didn't bother beyond seeing it activate. AWD in GT mode is where the fun is. Though I am sure tire mfg like drift mode, specially at $450/tire.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep not gunna cut it for road trips in the Southwest.
That is my concern for even up here in the supposedly "Green environment friendly PNW". There are just not enough DCFC chargers on some of the major routes. The fact that there is not a DCFC at the top of I90 pass is just baffling. There is a resort there that woudl be a great draw if they put chargers in there. Get people to stop top off charge, take pictures of the beautifull Mtns around, visit the resort.... You have to stretch from Northbend all the way to Ellensburg. That is a haul even in summer good temps give you are climbing a Mtn pass. Winter?.....

Northbend to Ellensburg can make with from 80% and arriving with 11, cutting it close if calculations are a little off or it gets cold/snowy altering efficiency. and I am basing this off of rough 2.2mi/kw I saw on a flat run @70mph... This route is up over a mtn pass...

North bend to Leavenworth would have to be charged to at least 94% to make it to the charger with 10% left. Given it is a Mtn pass, prone to snow, that is just cutting it really close, not to mention having to sit at Northbend to almost full charge..

Looks like there may be a 50Kw charger at about 3/4 of the way in Cle-Elum heading east, but you are high and dry heading west. and 50KW will be painfull to sit at and charge with. Hopefully someone steps up and puts a full DCFC station there or at Summit @ Snoqualmie, that will be game changing. Looks like Tesla has a 150KW station there with 12 stalls. When those open to all it will help, but I am betting that site is already heavily taxed with all the Tesla owners crossing the mtn (teslas are like fleas around here!)

Ecoregion Green Nature Map Natural environment

·
Registered
110 Posts
So bit of an update on the whole Mi/Kw issue I noticed, It could have been compounding things I saw with my trip in the GT. Most importantly temp.

I based my 3.2mi/kw for my GT-Line on a very long trip that actually had a good bit of elevation change. However thinking back on it, it was a warm day, in the 70's. The trip I did with the GT was in the 40-45*f range. Thta alone will make for a significant swing, above and beyond power and wheel/tire aero.

Temps today were in the mid 40's, same temp when I drove the GT, out of curiosity I decided to re-run the route I did with the GT with my GT-Line. 70mph, cruise control, with eco mode on my GT'L with stock tires and wheel and 40psi in the tires for 2.7mi/kw. That is only .5mi/kw higher than the GT in the same conditions. Given how my GT-Line outperforms the stock ABRP estimations by a significant amount, it makes me much less concerned about range with the GT

Almost 60% of all EV stations in the US were installed <2 years ago. The infrastructure may not be there yet, but it will be here soon enough.
Absolutely. The network is honestly getting solid already, and I have no doubt it is only going to get better moving forward. I know one I tried a few weeks ago up north was getting torn out and upgraded the next day. good thing too, it was terrible! 2 of 4 stations down completely and the other two only putting out about 45Kw.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Might be paywalled. Part of the Dec 2022 issue.

I’m debating between a i4 M50 and EV6 GT. I took over an i4 AWD (own a RWD) order and it has moved very quickly. Should be at my dealership by end of year. I’m no longer interested in swapping EVs unless it is an upgrade.
Yeah it is paywalled.
Was it a US spec GT? I would be curious of the temps they tested in, route and if they benchmarked Vs a GT-Line.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes/Yes

0-60 3.2 seconds, 1/4 mile [email protected], 70-0 braking 159ft, Skidpad 0.92g, tires are Goodyear F1 Assymetric 3 SUV, so basically they must come off ASAP if you live anywhere that it even thinks of snowing. A comparable replacement would be the Michelin PS AS 4, but I plan on doing the CC2's because I am willing to give up a little more to make sure that the 1-2 weeks of the year that we get 5-10" of snow, I don't die. Also, the day before this snow might be 65*f and there is no real indicator it's coming for all those "I SwItCh TiRes!" types.
Yes, or even low temps. Tires really is my only concern with the car now. Basically this time of year you are buying the car, driving off the lot straight to a tire store and dropping $2000-2500 on tires.

Very impressive acceleration. The only negative is the range but this would make an excellent suburban car with medium range road trips. They will sell every unit they make!
Having driven one, impressive is not the word for it. It is amazing and giggle inspiring, you just can't help laughing in amazement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The US won't see many, I am certain they will. Few hundred cars at best for US domestic market as it stands, I believe. AUS is getting like 20 or something probably.
I just can't see that being all they make. They have spent too much time and $ promoting, let alone the R&D to only sell/produce a few hundred. Return on investment is just not there given the low MSRP. I sincerely hope you are wrong about such low production numbers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Large markups are gone except maybe in CA. I technically have a Wind AWD arriving in a week at a Florida Kia dealer but will likely decline it as the GT info is out.
Not so. All of WA still has them, few dealer in OR I called as well. Until Kia can meet demand, these dealers will keep ADM.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is there a press release that confirms only a few hundred coming here? Also, a few hundred in 2022 or including 2023?
Yeah we are all wondering. Even as a halo vehicle, I find such a low number not making sense. Financially the r&d is just too high to be a loss leader. Then add in production costs for different parts, disrupting production line efficiency ..

Don't think they will be producing 30k of them, but
Crossing fingers..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had two... lol. It's a great car if it's your ONLY one. I was hoping for major 2023 upgrades but alas... just a new infotainment + dashboard display.

I see the new GT comes in three colors... one of which is red. The fastest color of course. Gotta have that one!
You are in luck that seems to be the color being most produced

1 - 20 of 22 Posts