Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
That is my concern too, the severe range hit. I don't road trip much, but out here in the west there are a few stretches in UT, CO, ID that a 206mi rated vehicle might not make the jump to next charger given efficiency loss, wind, hills etc..
I would like to see a 70 mph range test. But I fear any delay in ordering would prevent me from getting the vehicle within a reasonable amount of time. The Porsche Taycan and GV60 exceeded their range ratings in Edmunds testing. The EV6 was very close to its rated range. I'm not sure if the EV6 GT range hit is due to tires, or higher inefficiency in the powertrain. If it's a wheel/tire issue, one could conceivably ditch the 21" wheels for a smaller wheel and maybe a less aggressive tire. If it's the powertrain, there's no way to mitigate the range reduction.

· Registered
72 Posts
The Lucid Air has far more power and is more efficient than the EV6 GT. I suspect the range hit is at least partially attributable to wheels and tires. If so, Kia should offer a higher range option with less aggressive wheel and tire combo. It feels like they've subtracted too much, with the loss of range, power seats, seat ventilation, and possibly the sunroof. I would like to be comfortable while blowing folks away at stoplights.

· Registered
72 Posts
Yup. Spoke to my dealer about ordering. They need to confirm with the manager if the price is MSRP or higher (gulp).
I spoke to my dealership contact and he said the vehicle will have miniscule allocations and they aren't sure how they're going to price it yet. Have there been any numbers published indicating how many of these Kia will make? I'm still rather torn because I want memory and ventilated seats. If it's a chore to get my hands on the vehicle I'm may just get a used Model 3 Performance. I'm actively considering that option now since there's no Kia tax credit and the M3P is 15K cheaper on the used market.

· Registered
72 Posts
M3P has much better availability on the used market because it was released earlier than MYP. I'm not really concerned about space. We squeeze kids and family members in the back of my Focus Electric and I have an Expedition EL when I really need more room. I really just wanted a fast electric daily driver. My wife and I swap frequently and we have completely different shapes because she's all legs, so memory seats is a big deal. Even with the Expedition we notice when the other has moved the seats around.

· Registered
72 Posts
That's rather disappointing. I guess the compromises are the reason the premium isn't higher. They took a lot of content out of the vehicle and the range hit is brutal. Now I'm curious to see what changes with the Ioniq N. I just can't get excited about the Ioniq 5 like I can about the EV6. The EV6 is like a spaceship. The Ioniq is like a retro themed living room on wheels.

· Registered
72 Posts
Is this for the GT? 2.7mi/kWh is when i'm cruising at 85mph on a flat road and I have an AWD. My wife typically averages 3.3mi/kwh but drives more regularly than me :D
That's actually pretty good for that speed! You can stop every 2 - 3 hours and top off to 90 or 95%. I think the GT may be worse at those speeds. Maybe tires will improve the numbers.

· Registered
72 Posts
The best strategy for an EV6 is to drive to 10-20%, charge to ~70% and drive as fast as you can to the next charger that will net you about 10-20% 😁 No need to putter around trying to be efficient if time is what you are trying to save on a road-trip. Of course charger availability and reliability really put a hamper on that strategy...
True, but I figure if you're stopping for bathroom break and to stretch, may as well make full use of the time. I pulled up the charging curve, and it looks like 80 - 90% is the sweet spot. My Focus electric doesn't drop substantially until 90%, but it's all relative because it's charging a smaller battery at lower speed to begin with.

· Registered
72 Posts
Basically, the GT will never pass up a charger on road trips, lol. Gotta pay to play, whether money, time, or range anxiety. I still think Kia should offer a more efficient wheelt/tire option. That 205 range is like E-tron territory. How are the suede seats in heat? I heard they're from the Elantra N.

· Registered
72 Posts
The GT Line did 230mi in Car and Driver's 75mph test. The GT did 190. While 40 miles isn't insignificant, its a lot less than the near double that which the epa presents. Also consider this is on max performance summer tires...
The article is live on the website now. I think that range is actually reasonable, considering that the distance between chargers (mostly EA) will likely be much less than 190 miles and it's hard to maintain 75 mph with traffic and passing through small town. I rarely average that speed traveling, even when I drive like a banshee. You're always coming up on someone driving slow in the left lane, or passing through a small town where the limit drops to 35 mph. The biggest issue though, is that now you HAVE to charge to 80 or 90%, because of the reduced range. Honestly, I don't think it's a deal breaker. I have other cars, and I can rent a Tesla if I absolutely must have a long range EV for a trip or just take our Expedition. Most of my road trips are within 500 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts