Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 157 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Folks, re the GT… the power consumption depends on the mode: Eco limits the system peak to 288 horsepower, while Normal and Sport lift that to 460. Only GT mode unleashes the full 577 ponies.
True but EPA range isn't determined by horsepower for EVs. The EPA tests highway and city consumption in lab environments but nothing in there says it has to utilize all of the available power. Weight, tires, aerodynamics play a bigger part in those type of tests. A Model 3 Performance has the exact same EPA range as a a standard AWD Model 3 (with the same tire package) even though it has way more horsepower. If you drive the EV6 GT gently, it should have roughly the same range in Eco as in normal.

· Registered
72 Posts
The Lucid Air has far more power and is more efficient than the EV6 GT. I suspect the range hit is at least partially attributable to wheels and tires. If so, Kia should offer a higher range option with less aggressive wheel and tire combo. It feels like they've subtracted too much, with the loss of range, power seats, seat ventilation, and possibly the sunroof. I would like to be comfortable while blowing folks away at stoplights.

· Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD on order
358 Posts
-Deleted the LIGHT trim
-Tech Pack available on Wind RWD now
Yay! Finally for those first two items.

The Light trim was very useless here in the US and I'm not sure why anyone would get a smaller battery other than to pinch pennies. They are going to have a hard time if/when they decide to sell, trade, or give their cars in the future. Almost everyone here in the US got the big battery 77.4 kWh model since especially in the Western US distances are very far.

The Tech Package should have been offered on all Wind trims from the start. It's just a set of camera upgrades. No need to make it exclusive to the Wind AWD.
Now if only we could have heated steering wheels be standard. It only requires a different wiring harness and wheel. Nothing major like a heat pump.

· Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
821 Posts
If this is your only car and you take weekend/long road trips... I'm not sure the GT is ideal.

I owned a Mach-E GT PE and it was a fricking power hog (sub 2.6 mi/kWh efficiency at 70-75mph) and the range hit was 50+ miles from a Premium AWD ER to that trim. If this is your secondary car you use for commuting and fun weekend drives.. GT all the way.
Yeah, but Ford doesn't disengage the front motor for efficiency, right? When running as an RWD the GT should have similar drivetrain efficiency to the other trims.

· Registered
189 Posts
The Lucid Air has far more power and is more efficient than the EV6 GT. I suspect the range hit is at least partially attributable to wheels and tires. If so, Kia should offer a higher range option with less aggressive wheel and tire combo. It feels like they've subtracted too much, with the loss of range, power seats, seat ventilation, and possibly the sunroof. I would like to be comfortable while blowing folks away at stoplights.
The tires are mostly to blame, imo. I would swap the F1s for Pilot Sport All Season 4. This should result in a decent improvement.

· Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, but Ford doesn't disengage the front motor for efficiency, right? When running as an RWD the GT should have similar drivetrain efficiency to the other trims.
Correct. Both are permanent magnet motors (super inefficient design - Tesla and VW use induction motors in front).

After 76mph the EV6 front motor engages anyhow so there's no benefit of being in Eco except constant 70mph on the highway (which is a tad slow and dangerous here in FL). Motor RPM and the front disconnect

I'd be interested in hearing if the front is always engaged because of the hard acceleration capability of the GT. These performance EVs can zip from 50 to 90mph in sub 3 seconds.

Anyhow tires + wheels contribute to most of the difference. BMW i4 M50 with and without the 20" performance tires is a massive range difference - with everything else being the same. 40+ miles.

· Registered
471 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I think they made it trackable. If the EV6 GT doesn't have any sort of ESC disable and removal of nannies for the track.. then this GT is a bust to me. The crappy track mode of the Mach-E GT PE is why I dumped it (second reason was poor bouncy suspension in every mode except Unbridled). The summer tires and bucket races seats were awesome though.

· Registered
EV6 GT
46 Posts
The Lucid Air has far …

I think they made it trackable. If the EV6 GT doesn't have any sort of ESC disable and removal of nannies for the track.. then this GT is a bust to me…
or on the PR release
“While supremely comfortable, the EV6 GT puts the driver in complete control for truly exciting experiences. Drivers can deactivate the vehicle’s ESC system for added oversteer potential, while a dedicated Drift Mode sends a higher proportion of power to the rear wheels for true grin-inducing sideways action.” from here The new Kia EV6 GT – a high-performance crossover for the new mobility era

· Registered
EV6 GT
46 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing if the front is always engaged because of the hard acceleration capability of the GT.
No, see my earlier post above which explains that that the modes of the GT are the same as the lower models so in Eco the front is detached despite availability of 4WD and more power of GT… only when GT is engaged is the full power of both motors released.

Whoever said that there would be no effect of having full power available and that it would have no correlation to range … complete BS.

· Registered
257 Posts
No, see my earlier post above which explains that that the modes of the GT are the same as the lower models so in Eco the front is detached despite availability of 4WD and more power of GT… only when GT is engaged is the full power of both motors released.

Whoever said that there would be no effect of having full power available and that it would have no correlation to range … complete BS.
On an EPA test, the tested car is never tested at wide open throttle. Its tested as if driven normally with gentle acceleration up to a certain mph and stop and go situations. If you drive the EV6 GT gently on GT mode, why should it have less range than driven on Sport Mode? You are only utilizing a small portion of the powerband in both situations. The Eco / Normal mode dis-engages the front motors so you will see some savings there but if the GT is cruising at 80mph, it won't matter what mode you are in, it should have the same range if its a constant 80mph.

On an EV, you have as much range as the power you utilize. A Plaid and Lucid Air have over 1000hp and its more efficient than the EV6 but if you utilized its max potential vs. if you utilized the EV6 max potential, it would actually have much less range.

· Registered
257 Posts
I’m not even going to waste any cycles here… But do explain why Kia disengage the 2nd motor in Eco if it didn’t affect range?
I stated the Eco/normal mode will have some savings because the front motors won't cause drag during constant highway driving but if you go at 80mph, both motors are being utilized so it won't matter what mode you are in at this speed. My only point was that peak horsepower in EVs doesn't necessarily contribute to range penalty. Other EVs have a different setup without clutch packs engaging/disengaging motors and the range you get is the power you use. If you accelerate slow, the range will be dependent purely on weight, aero, powertrain efficiency, and wheels/tires.

· Registered
72 Posts
Yup. Spoke to my dealer about ordering. They need to confirm with the manager if the price is MSRP or higher (gulp).
I spoke to my dealership contact and he said the vehicle will have miniscule allocations and they aren't sure how they're going to price it yet. Have there been any numbers published indicating how many of these Kia will make? I'm still rather torn because I want memory and ventilated seats. If it's a chore to get my hands on the vehicle I'm may just get a used Model 3 Performance. I'm actively considering that option now since there's no Kia tax credit and the M3P is 15K cheaper on the used market.

· Registered
257 Posts
I spoke to my dealership contact and he said the vehicle will have miniscule allocations and they aren't sure how they're going to price it yet. Have there been any numbers published indicating how many of these Kia will make? I'm still rather torn because I want memory and ventilated seats. If it's a chore to get my hands on the vehicle I'm may just get a used Model 3 Performance. I'm actively considering that option now since there's no Kia tax credit and the M3P is 15K cheaper on the used market.
A Model Y Performance is probably closer to the Kia EV6 GT than a Model 3 Performance in terms of feel. Model 3 feels much smaller and sits lower to the ground. If you want a track car, the Model 3 Performance will probably be much better than either.

· Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line Yacht Blue
110 Posts
Has anyone (looking at you European members!) been able to actually sit in one and can share what the seats are like?

Memory is cool, but if it is a good bucket I have found memory is not as important. Folks often seat a sea a certain way to feel held in the car. A good bucket will do that on it's own and make you feel part of the car without having infinite, micro adjustment like a memory seat. Slide fore aft for pedals, set seat back angle and send it!! Losing ventilated is a bummer, but heated is more important imho.

· Registered
72 Posts
M3P has much better availability on the used market because it was released earlier than MYP. I'm not really concerned about space. We squeeze kids and family members in the back of my Focus Electric and I have an Expedition EL when I really need more room. I really just wanted a fast electric daily driver. My wife and I swap frequently and we have completely different shapes because she's all legs, so memory seats is a big deal. Even with the Expedition we notice when the other has moved the seats around.

21 - 40 of 157 Posts