Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2022 Kia EV six I have now put 30,000 miles on it so I thought I would call around and check on battery pricing. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. All batteries are on back order. They must be busy making batteries for new cars. Anyhow the battery price is $29,000 that does not include the labor cost that is only for the main battery. Just thought I would let others know the dealer told me when I bought the car it would cost me only about $6000 he lied. Just giving everyone a heads up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I own a 2022 Kia EV six I have now put 30,000 miles on it so I thought I would call around and check on battery pricing. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. All batteries are on back order. They must be busy making batteries for new cars. Anyhow the battery price is $29,000 that does not include the labor cost that is only for the main battery. Just thought I would let others know the dealer told me when I bought the car it would cost me only about $6000 he lied. Just giving everyone a heads up.
The only reason it is $29K today is the supply and the demand. The demand is building cars. Not selling batteries to DIY repair shops. If you go to the dealer thinking you like the 77.4KwH battery for your personal project, they are going to price it at " how bad do you really want it price" . Now in 5 years when the E-GMP has been mass produced enough that batteries are salvaged and reasonable priced, then the dealer pricing comes down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only reason it is $29K today is the supply and the demand. The demand is building cars. Not selling batteries to DIY repair shops. If you go to the dealer thinking you like the 77.4KwH battery for your personal project, they are going to price it at " how bad do you really want it price" . Now in 5 years when the E-GMP has been mass produced enough that batteries are salvaged and reasonable priced, then the dealer pricing comes down.
Yeah WSJ article today "Lithium carbonate prices in China, the benchmark in the fast-growing market, stand at about $71,000 a metric ton, according to price-assessment firm Benchmark Mineral Intelligence. That is almost four times as high as a year ago and just below the record set this March in yuan terms. "

“I would like once again to urge entrepreneurs to enter the lithium-refining business,” Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk told analysts in July. “There’s lithium pretty much everywhere, but you have to refine the lithium into battery-grade lithium carbonate and lithium hydroxide, which has extremely high purity. So it is basically like minting money right now.”

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good points raised above...however this is why any crash that compromises the battery pack almost guarentees that your car will be assessed a total loss, and not repaired.

That would put battery work at mid to high $30k PLUS body work, interior reconditioning, airbag replacements, glass replacement, paint....

Drive carefully my friends....😁

·
Registered
EV6 Wind RWD - Gravity Blue/Grey Interior
23 Posts
Good points raised above...however this is why any crash that compromises the battery pack almost guarentees that your car will be assessed a total loss, and not repaired.

That would put battery work at mid to high $30k PLUS body work, interior reconditioning, airbag replacements, glass replacement, paint....

Can't get in a wreck in EV if you cant even take delivery

*taps brain

·
Registered
40 Posts

The problem is the other jackasses on the road. Someone posted a picture of their heavily damaged car. It was hit overnight.

My 2017 Focus Electric battery is $14,000 and its 33 kWh, so the EV6 battery is slightly more expensive per kWh. Guess how much I paid for the car when I bought it in 2/21...$14,000 out the door. So, as you might imagine, I have no plans to keep the car once the 100k/8 year warranty is up. Without an extended warranty covering the battery, EVs are a high-risk situation out of warranty.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If my car gets into a crash and is considered total loss, I would probably buy it from insurance company. Seen video how 'easy' it is to get these packs out and it would make a very good Home battery even when pack is damaged still majority will be allright. The only thing is that they should not have soaked the car in a water tank for several days if they think it will catch fire or is already smoking. Then it doulbe total loss. First of battery pack. Second that every item that still had value has now water damage

·
Registered
342 Posts
I did see in one battery teardown on the E-GMP battery pack the BMS can be removed out the bottom of the battery pack. That looked to be the only serviceable thing without removing the whole battery pack assembly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What would a battery warranty cover then? And im not trying to be a smartass, I genuinely dont know what it would cover if it didnt. I just assumed it would be the battery?
lol of course it does.

Some folks have seen low voltage battery warranties and conflated that with the EV batteries.

It's FEDERALLY mandated that they at least offer an 8 year/100k warranty on the EV battery. You're not going to see one offered with a lesser warranty than that for any manufacturer. Period.

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt, considering EV9
6 Posts
Seen video how 'easy' it is to get these packs out and it would make a very good Home battery
As I understand it, where NFPA ("fire code" in the USA) rev. 2020 is applicable, anything over 20kWh of lithium batteries is supposed to be UL listed. Good luck getting that on a DIY house battery bank.

On a solar trailer that is not "in a building", this does not apply. Guess where my batteries harvested from a solar farm that upgraded went into :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aftermarket batteries will bring the price down in a few years I'm sure. At least.... I hope so.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If my car gets into a crash and is considered total loss, I would probably buy it from insurance company. Seen video how 'easy' it is to get these packs out and it would make a very good Home battery even when pack is damaged still majority will be allright. The only thing is that they should not have soaked the car in a water tank for several days if they think it will catch fire or is already smoking. Then it doulbe total loss. First of battery pack. Second that every item that still had value has now water damage
Huh?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
330 Posts
So, not exactly: Is This Estimate for a Chevy Volt Hybrid Battery Replacement Real? | Snopes.com

The short version is, it's for a 2012 Chevy Volt. Chevy switched to a different battery in 2013 and no longer has spares for 2011-12 models. The car is past the 8 yr/100,000 mile warranty. The price quoted is for a company to hand-make a replacement from scratch. If they went with a refurb, it would be $7000 to $10,000 (from a quick Google). That's still really high, but it reflects the limited production of the now 10-year-old batteries.

I'm not sure if Kia/Hyundai has set a retail price for E-GMP batteries. They won't have to for 8 years. Even for a crash replacement, it seems unlikely that a crash bad enough to require a new battery wouldn't just be totaled.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Also, didn't someone say that the E-GMP batteries are designed to be replaced in modules?

Granted, 1 new module vs. six or seven 8-year old models might play havoc on battery cell balancing management but in case you get into an accident sooner, is this not a viable solution?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts