Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
What Happens After a ‘Million-Mile Battery’ Outlasts the Car? | WIRED

"In practice, early data suggests today’s EV batteries often last considerably longer with less degradation, said James Frith, an energy storage analyst for BloombergNEF, a clean-energy research firm. Tesla’s recent impact report, Frith notes, claims that Model S and X batteries lose less than 20 percent of their original charge capacity after being driven 200,000 miles. A Nissan executive, meanwhile, recently estimated that a Nissan Leaf battery will last about 22 years based on battery degradation data the company is collecting on EVs sold in Europe, according to Automotive News. "

"In many cases, EV batteries are already outlasting the cars they are being put in. Hans Eric Melin, the founder of Circular Energy Storage, a market research firm focused on second-use and recycling of lithium-ion batteries, says that it’s “very unusual” for a car to be pulled off the road today because its battery has degraded fully. While this is sometimes the case for heavily driven electric taxis or Ubers, more often the battery experienced some sort of electrical malfunction, other components of the EV became worn out, or the car was totaled in a crash."

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting price quote, and it doesn't surprise me. I think most of the comments above are accurate. Kia has provide their dealers a way of selling every part in the car, and they don't do that at a loss. So they had to put a number on a part that's likely needed in extremely rare situation of a bad collision that doesn't result in a total loss. With the supply constraints right now, I'd be surprised if they had more than a handful of these batteries stockpiled in North America.

Wait ten years and things will look very different. Tesla was the first manufacturer to mass-produce EVs with well-managed liquid-cooled batteries, and they seem to last forever in most cases. There's no mileage or age point where they seem to drop; it reminds me of the random transmission or engine failure you hear about on ten-year-old cars. I don't think this will be a serious concern a decade from now, but the industry will have seen enough failures to have options available. I'd bet that rebuilt packs will eventually become common, and new replacements will be significantly less. The core value of the failed part will also be worth a lot more as battery recycling goes mainstream. There are a lot of valuable metals in a dead EV battery.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Tech package
140 Posts
Interesting price quote, and it doesn't surprise me. I think most of the comments above are accurate. Kia has provide their dealers a way of selling every part in the car, and they don't do that at a loss. So they had to put a number on a part that's likely needed in extremely rare situation of a bad collision that doesn't result in a total loss. With the supply constraints right now, I'd be surprised if they had more than a handful of these batteries stockpiled in North America.

Wait ten years and things will look very different. Tesla was the first manufacturer to mass-produce EVs with well-managed liquid-cooled batteries, and they seem to last forever in most cases. There's no mileage or age point where they seem to drop; it reminds me of the random transmission or engine failure you hear about on ten-year-old cars. I don't think this will be a serious concern a decade from now, but the industry will have seen enough failures to have options available. I'd bet that rebuilt packs will eventually become common, and new replacements will be significantly less. The core value of the failed part will also be worth a lot more as battery recycling goes mainstream. There are a lot of valuable metals in a dead EV battery.
Exactly, the old battery will be worth something and therefore you can offset your cost for a new one if you ever actually needed a new one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As I understand it, where NFPA ("fire code" in the USA) rev. 2020 is applicable, anything over 20kWh of lithium batteries is supposed to be UL listed. Good luck getting that on a DIY house battery bank.

On a solar trailer that is not "in a building", this does not apply. Guess where my batteries harvested from a solar farm that upgraded went into :)
How about 250 kWh battery banks done DIY and completely off grid. My insurance adjustor has been very helpful in making sure how to make it and pass insurance. And even if gets on fire god forbid I'm not worried about my house going on fire. It is 50 feet apart from my house. So far i have been off grid for 4 years and so far i have saved 14400 dollars for using free energy delivered by sun.
This is conservative number because I have now in my family 3 EV vehicle's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How about 250 kWh battery banks done DIY and completely off grid. My insurance adjustor has been very helpful in making sure how to make it and pass insurance. And even if gets on fire god forbid I'm not worried about my house going on fire. It is 50 feet apart from my house. So far i have been off grid for 4 years and so far i have saved 14400 dollars for using free energy delivered by sun.
I have a 12.95kW solar array, but won't go off-grid for a long time because when winter hits, you want that grid. Spend a week or so in the -20's*F and with minimal sunlight, and even a 250kWh battery will be SOL pretty fast with the all electric heat I have.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Tech package
140 Posts
That’s a massive massive battery bank, hard to even imagine.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts