Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I are interested in buying an EV. We've test driven the Tesla Model Y, Kia Niro EV Wave, Hyundai Kona Limited, all trim levels of the Ioniq 5, and the Kia EV6 Wave.

Our favorite was the Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited, but we can't afford the Limited trim because it's over $55,000 and doesn't qualify for the rebates. I wanted to like the Model Y because it's far more affordable, but we both found the seats extremely uncomfortable, unfortunately.

Our second choice was the Kia EV6 Wave. We found a dealership 1.5 hours away that will sell us an incoming vehicle at MSRP, but we need to drive there to put down a $1,000 non-refundable deposit. We were planning to go down today, but as I've been reading about Kia's reputation and people's experiences with dealerships and service, I'm getting cold feet. Should I be worried?

I'm fairly young, so this is the first car I've purchased. I drove my parent's Subaru Legacy in college for two years and recently drove my partner's 2015 Audi A3 for five years. But this is my first car purchase. Although I'm not that experienced, I remember Kia having a horrible reputation in the early 2000s. Has that changed? In particular, I'm worried about service appointments and having to argue with dealerships about the warranty. Or, I'm concerned I'll need a months-long service and won't be offered a loaner car.

What are your experiences with the car, with dealerships, and with service? How is the build quality compared to other cars? Are there other cars I should consider (e.g. Polestar 2, etc.)? Would it be better to go over the $55,000 threshold with another make of EV to potentially get better service down the line. Thank you!

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind AWD w/ Tech
43 Posts
Keep in mind, the Kia EVs no longer qualify for the federal tax credit, even under 55K.

As for Kia, this is my first Kia ever, and only had it for a month, so I can't really say much other than I found a dealer that sold at MSRP back in December and when they bought my trade in Prius, I couldnt get the dash cam to unstick from the windshield, and they pulled it into their service bay to warm it up and get it removed for me.

· Registered
FE 1010 Glacier
40 Posts
I have a EV6 GT-Line, it is my 3rd Kia (the others both being Optima SX)
Combined I had them for 12 years and had No issues with either.

I have owned multiple other brand cars, all had some kind of issue (luckily nothing major)

Re: dealerships- that is always going to be hit or miss regardless of brand.

Hope this helps

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind, the Kia EVs no longer qualify for the federal tax credit, even under 55K.

As for Kia, this is my first Kia ever, and only had it for a month, so I can't really say much other than I found a dealer that sold at MSRP back in December and when they bought my trade in Prius, I couldnt get the dash cam to unstick from the windshield, and they pulled it into their service bay to warm it up and get it removed for me.

Thanks for your feedback!

I thought that the Kia would qualify for the $3,750 battery rebate until March, because the IRS hasn’t released guidance on the battery guidelines, so EVs under $55,000 MSRP would qualify until that guidance is released, under the new guidelines in the IRA. Am I mistaken?

· Registered
4 Posts
Since I’ve had the car (EV6 wind) I’ve had the same experiences noted many years ago. Dealerships arguing about whether I caused damage to my brand new car vs whether the warrantee covers it. Had this argument 2 days after buying it.

I’d say getting a Kia is like joining the military. Lots of good benefits/a great car for the price, but just hope you don’t need any health care/repairs because they are severely lacking in that area.

· Registered
5 Posts
as with any car dealership you are dealing with a franchisee not the manufacturer themselves . every dealership is different . I have owned my GT Line RWD for a year now and any questions or Issues have been dealt with npromptly by the dealership I use In Los Angeles . I was a dedicated Chevy Guy and after 3 years of research and wiating for multiple car manufacturers to release their Ev's the EV6 won out of all the vehicles

· Registered
1 Posts
I've had several Kia's and have been glad/impressed with them all. I take possession of my EV6 Wind AWD w/Tech Package tomorrow and have zero doubts I'll be just as impressed.

Kia's used to be the 'cheap' kids on the block, but thas has changed dramatically in the last 5-7 years, with a great warranty and growth. And all manufacturers go through periods of challenge, no one is exempt.

Look at all the build quality challenges Tesla had? I have no doubt you'll be making a solid buy with Kia but only you can make that final choice.

· Registered
53 Posts
My 2023 EV6 Gt-line is my first KIA. The warranty is awesome. My friend who is a "car guy" said Kia's quality/reputation has increased tremendously. Kia hired bunch of designers from BMW and other top luxury brands.
EV6 is also the first KIA to be developed (partly) in Germany. KIA is expanding their R&D in Germany as we speak, which hopefully will lead to ”better” cars.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have two Winds. Both are exceptional build quality with no issues. One is at 7500 miles and one is 1,000. Compared to my prior car (Tesla Model 3), the build quality is night and day better.

· Registered
67 Posts
Be aware that KIA and Hyundai have a backlog of GDI motors under extended warranty that have overloaded the service bays. Hyundai recently cut the "bookrate" paid for engine replacement under warranty which has lead to an exodus of qualified techs.

There are scant repair parts for any EV, not just KIA.

My 2019 Niro EV developed a noisy motor that KIA took a year to never fix.

These are terrific cars but I doubt KIA has the staff to repair new EVs.

YMMV

· Registered
8 Posts
My partner and I are interested in buying an EV. We've test driven the Tesla Model Y, Kia Niro EV Wave, Hyundai Kona Limited, all trim levels of the Ioniq 5, and the Kia EV6 Wave.

Our favorite was the Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited, but we can't afford the Limited trim because it's over $55,000 and doesn't qualify for the rebates. I wanted to like the Model Y because it's far more affordable, but we both found the seats extremely uncomfortable, unfortunately.

Our second choice was the Kia EV6 Wave. We found a dealership 1.5 hours away that will sell us an incoming vehicle at MSRP, but we need to drive there to put down a $1,000 non-refundable deposit. We were planning to go down today, but as I've been reading about Kia's reputation and people's experiences with dealerships and service, I'm getting cold feet. Should I be worried?

I'm fairly young, so this is the first car I've purchased. I drove my parent's Subaru Legacy in college for two years and recently drove my partner's 2015 Audi A3 for five years. But this is my first car purchase. Although I'm not that experienced, I remember Kia having a horrible reputation in the early 2000s. Has that changed? In particular, I'm worried about service appointments and having to argue with dealerships about the warranty. Or, I'm concerned I'll need a months-long service and won't be offered a loaner car.

What are your experiences with the car, with dealerships, and with service? How is the build quality compared to other cars? Are there other cars I should consider (e.g. Polestar 2, etc.)? Would it be better to go over the $55,000 threshold with another make of EV to potentially get better service down the line. Thank you!
Where are you located?

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your feedback!

I thought that the Kia would qualify for the $3,750 battery rebate until March, because the IRS hasn’t released guidance on the battery guidelines, so EVs under $55,000 MSRP would qualify until that guidance is released, under the new guidelines in the IRA. Am I mistaken?
You are correct there has been an extension by the IRS due to the lack of guidance on the batteries/materials but I believe you will find that not being assembled in North America will disqualify the EV6. That said, you will find states are providing tax credit which in Colorado is $2000 for 2023

· Registered
EV6 GT Line AWD
116 Posts
If you are worried about Kia's reputation, then you definitely havent been following them since the early 2000's. Their warranty is the best in the industry, and whats even better than a good warranty is never having to use it. The EV6 is our 4th Kia, and only 1 of them has ever had a warranty issue. My 2017 F150 has been in the shop 7+ times alone. As for appointments for service, that all depends on your dealer. I personally drive 50 miles and pass 2 different Kia dealerships to the one I prefer, which takes great care of me on the service and sales side.

I work with a fleet of vehicles for my job, and given my personal experience with Kia and the dealership we use, I dont know that we will ever own another brand for my wife's car, and I actually wish they would come out with a full size truck because that market could use some more competition with some reliable vehicles. Ford's reliability has taken a drastic hit in the last few years, to the point that they have had to double their budget for warranty costs per vehicle, and GM and Ram are still hard to get.

· Registered
9 Posts

Great car (EV6 Wind) as far as I am concerned. Our Kia dealership (Tyler TX) has been first class so far. I expect it depends on the dealership.

· Registered
106 Posts
Amongst the many cars and brands I've owned are Mercedes, Infiniti, Volkswagen TDI, Mazda, Toyota. You get the idea...... Anyway I've owned my EV6 since March 2022 and have 10K on the odo, I'm amazed by the ride comfort, quiet, power, efficiency and overall goodness of the EV6. It is my favorite car I've ever owned. So far no issues at all. I drive about 12k miles/year and it's costing me about $30/month to charge at home. Yes, the dealer network and EV support could be improved but if the car continues to be reliable I may never need that. The warranty is stellar.

· Registered
3 Posts

I'm a (bit) older and have owned Audi's, Bimmers, Toyotas, Subarus, Mazdas, etc.

I have been a HUGE Kia fan for about 10 years now. Started with a Sorrento and was super impressed with the quality. Moved on to an electric Niro, and now an EV6. I love my EV6, got it after a brief flirtation with a VW ID4 that turned out to be a lemon.

25 years ago, buying a Kia was a risk. Today, I think they are offering the best value out there.

It's true, you won't get the high touch service experience like you would at a luxury car dealership. However, I expect to spend almost 0 time there with my EV6.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts