Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
327 Posts
Anyone know if you can add the HUD to a Wind from Kia after purchase?
Easiest (and possibly cheapest) way is to trade in your Wind for a GT-Line. Even if you can get the parts (see previous replies), you'll need to replace part or all of the top part of the dash, and that may require removing the windshield.

That's if you want THE HUD. If you want A HUD, there are mirror devices that you can use with a smartphone app -- or it's very likely that a smartphone placed facing up on the dash will be visible reflected off the the windshield just like the OEM HUD is visible reflected off the windshield. There's been HUD apps meant to be used that way for as long as there have been smartphones. And, yes, it works.

Heads up: (pun intended) if you search the app store for "HUD", apparently nowadays that means "Hookup Dating". LOL I used to use an app called "aSmart HUD". For my car, not for dating. It probably doesn't have anything more useful than a speedometer, however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in this as well. Just bought a NIRO Plug in Hybrid, that strangely has the Remote Park Assistant but not the HUD, even though it comes together as part of the Technology Option here in Germany. I am wondering if it’s possible to have KIA add the HUD. I will ask them tomorrow and post an update here.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
3,004 Posts
The biggest thing you have to remember is not only do you need the HUD system but your also need a whole dash board as the HUD has a area cut out, when you factor in all the costs etc your find it cheaper to trade the car in for a model with the HUD fitted.

Personally think the HUD system is not viable option to add.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
3,004 Posts
I am interested in this as well. Just bought a NIRO Plug in Hybrid, that strangely has the Remote Park Assistant but not the HUD, even though it comes together as part of the Technology Option here in Germany. I am wondering if it’s possible to have KIA add the HUD. I will ask them tomorrow and post an update here.
You may get more joy on the Kia Nero forums and not the EV6 forum?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another of several (many) reasons I went with GT-Line instead of Wind w/Tech.
I went with the Wind+Tech precisely because the GT-Line has a sunroof standard.

Do people really like sunroofs? Or is that one of those features that car makers add to sex-up their cars and increase prices but that few really like and use?

I've had a few sunroofs over the years but not because I wanted it -- and I've never used it.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
464 Posts
I went with the Wind+Tech precisely because the GT-Line has a sunroof standard.

Do people really like sunroofs? Or is that one of those features that car makers add to sex-up their cars and increase prices but that few really like and use?

I've had a few sunroofs over the years but not because I wanted it -- and I've never used it.
I suppose it has something to do with where you you live and it’s a very personal decision.

I have had sun/moon roofs on 2 out of the last 3 vehicles. I missed it on my Volt, not offered. And I have a convertible that is always driven top-down, rain, shine, or snow.

Ok, really bad rain and snow, not so much, but I’ll usually know that ahead of time and not take it out. Otherwise it’s under any covered area I can find until it passes.

Even here in Vegas, I open the roof, especially now that we are under 100°. Of course, the glass stays closed until it cools off more. I also put Llumar Air Shield 80 on it when I did the windshield. I’ve had it open the last 3-4 times I’ve driven.

And it’s not a “sex-up” thing. I grew up in the 50s-70s in sunny SoCal and lived there after I got out of the USAF. The weather was different then, and as I remember, smog wasn’t that bad until I came “home” in the 80s. Could have been, but I remember seeing the San Gabriel Mountains everyday. Even from all the way down at the beach.

I guess I could also tie it to riding a motorcycle for over 30 years, the first 10+ without a helmet or laws dictating them. Then I got smart, or better, had a family. But I still loved being in the wind. Same with the TR6 and all the sun/moon roofs.

All that to say, I respect your opinion, and only ask you respect those of us that like the ability to open the roofs of our cars.

✌🏻☮

·
Registered
128 Posts
I suppose it has something to do with where you you live and it’s a very personal decision.

I have had sun/moon roofs on 2 out of the last 3 vehicles. I missed it on my Volt, not offered. And I have a convertible that is always driven top-down, rain, shine, or snow.

Ok, really bad rain and snow, not so much, but I’ll usually know that ahead of time and not take it out. Otherwise it’s under any covered area I can find until it passes.

Even here in Vegas, I open the roof, especially now that we are under 100°. Of course, the glass stays closed until it cools off more. I also put Llumar Air Shield 80 on it when I did the windshield. I’ve had it open the last 3-4 times I’ve driven.

And it’s not a “sex-up” thing. I grew up in the 50s-70s in sunny SoCal and lived there after I got out of the USAF. The weather was different then, and as I remember, smog wasn’t that bad until I came “home” in the 80s. Could have been, but I remember seeing the San Gabriel Mountains everyday. Even from all the way down at the beach.

I guess I could also tie it to riding a motorcycle for over 30 years, the first 10+ without a helmet or laws dictating them. Then I got smart, or better, had a family. But I still loved being in the wind. Same with the TR6 and all the sun/moon roofs.

All that to say, I respect your opinion, and only ask you respect those of us that like the ability to open the roofs of our cars.

✌🏻☮
Of course I respect that. It really was just a question, not an implication. Most of my friends don't use their sunroofs either (yes, I asked) but, like me, it often came standard on the cars we bought over the years.

Not that I mind the sun. I've driven motorcycles all my life. But on a car, it's just something that eats up headroom and prone to leaking.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
464 Posts
But on a car, it's just something that eats up headroom and prone to leaking.
Oh boy do I agree! For the most part. LOL

I got my extreme dislike for anything Volvo or Volvo related, like Polestar, because they refused to fix a bad sunroof on my S80-T6. Well that and that the key could be removed from the ignition with the car on, in gear, and driving down the road. And the oil leaks in the twin turbos. They wouldn’t but it back and couldn’t get lemon law relief. This was my 2nd troublesome Volvo, on top of a constantly broken Audi.

That’s when I left European cars to Asian cars for good. Pawned the Volvo off to a great Lexus dealer as scrap LOL Got much more from them than the Autonation Volvo dealer, Yeah, I’ve sworn off Autonation too.

The sunroof in the Lexus was awesome, as is the one in the EV6. So now I have to revise my sunroof cars to 5 out of 7 and only one was bad. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts