Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so ago, during a road trip, the AC stopped blowing cold air and the energy consumption of the climate went to zero. Restarting the car fixed it.
Yesterday, it happened again, and I brought it to the dealer while it was happening so they could document it and make me an appointment for today. Yesterday was much worse than a month ago. Now, when it happens, restarting the car fixes it for 3-5 minutes and then I must restart the car again to get cold air. Very annoying. It's at the dealer now. They said they've seen this before and it's a software fix, but we'll see what happens.

I'll update this as I know more.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
143 Posts
Thanks for sharing. For future reference for anyone else who has this issue, when you say you restarted the car, was it just turning the car off then on again with the main power button? Did you try resetting just the infotainment system?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing. For future reference for anyone else who has this issue, when you say you restarted the car, was it just turning the car off then on again with the main power button? Did you try resetting just the infotainment system?
Yes, it's turning the car off and on again with the power button. I was doing it at red lights. Since there's no traversing reverse to get to park, I don't think I confuse the people behind me.
I did try turning off the climate on the infotainment, playing with temperature, making sure Climate ECO mode was off, etc..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to the service manager today. It looks like it's the compressor in my case, which makes sense, it was making some odd noises when I was investigating it myself. Hopefully the part will be in within the next week or so but I haven't been given an ETA yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I spoke to the service manager today. It looks like it's the compressor in my case, which makes sense, it was making some odd noises when I was investigating it myself. Hopefully the part will be in within the next week or so but I haven't been given an ETA yet.
I'm still waiting on an ETA for mine and it's been at the dealership for 5 weeks, FYI

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still waiting on an ETA for mine and it's been at the dealership for 5 weeks, FYI
Hopefully a bunch will come available all at once and anyone with this issue can have it solved quickly. I have the car in my possession until the part comes in.

I took it for a drive today and it worked most of the time until I stopped or slowed down too much. It was very hot out, approaching 100 degrees at times.

·
Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
437 Posts
Hopefully a bunch will come available all at once and anyone with this issue can have it solved quickly. I have the car in my possession until the part comes in.

I took it for a drive today and it worked most of the time until I stopped or slowed down too much. It was very hot out, approaching 100 degrees at times.
Unless there is a very good reason, I will not leave my car at a dealer for weeks on end... unless they are going to make my payment! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The inverter came in today but still waiting on the compressor.
The service manager got a call from someone asking for the status of my car. Since it wasn't me, it was probably Kia America which I found interesting. They also called my wife yesterday and left a message.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind AWD w/ Tech Interstellar Gray
7 Posts
@mdmattingly, we're having a problem that sounds identical to yours. It's an Wind AWD w/ Tech and we've had it since early April in Arizona. The AC almost always works fine after starting up and driving, but randomly stops cooling at some point. The fan keeps blowing and we notice it's getting warm inside, so check the power usage for climate and see it's dropped to zero. Some days, it never fails. Other days it stops several times. The only way I've found to get it cooling again is to pull over or stop at a light and turn off and restart the car using the main power button. I've tried every climate setting there is to see if I could get it working again without stopping.

I've gotten in the habit of taking a picture of the Energy Information page when it stops working, just to document the issue. There are now 20 pictures in that album. On a recent 8-day trip to Colorado, it stopped working five times in the first six hours of driving, and never acted up again the rest of the trip. Our Kia dealer has looked at it twice with no resolution.

Do you have any additional information on how you worked through this with your dealer to the point where they figured out the cause and decided to replace certain parts? Also, did you get your compressor replaced and did that resolve the issue for you?

@wigton761, what's your status? It's not clear your issue is the same since ours doesn't seem to relate to the car being hot like yours.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@mdmattingly, we're having a problem that sounds identical to yours. It's an Wind AWD w/ Tech and we've had it since early April in Arizona. The AC almost always works fine after starting up and driving, but randomly stops cooling at some point. The fan keeps blowing and we notice it's getting warm inside, so check the power usage for climate and see it's dropped to zero. Some days, it never fails. Other days it stops several times. The only way I've found to get it cooling again is to pull over or stop at a light and turn off and restart the car using the main power button. I've tried every climate setting there is to see if I could get it working again without stopping.

I've gotten in the habit of taking a picture of the Energy Information page when it stops working, just to document the issue. There are now 20 pictures in that album. On a recent 8-day trip to Colorado, it stopped working five times in the first six hours of driving, and never acted up again the rest of the trip. Our Kia dealer has looked at it twice with no resolution.

Do you have any additional information on how you worked through this with your dealer to the point where they figured out the cause and decided to replace certain parts? Also, did you get your compressor replaced and did that resolve the issue for you?

@wigton761, what's your status? It's not clear your issue is the same since ours doesn't seem to relate to the car being hot like yours.
Your problem is definitely the same as mine.

I am still waiting on the compressor to come in. On these hot days, I don't bother driving it. Do you see a correlation with outside temperature and the failure? For me, if it's above the low to mid 90s, it will fail. The warmer it is, the faster it fails. On 100+ degree days, it might work for 10 minutes until I power off the car and power it back on and then it might work for a few more minutes.

The dealer worked with Kia on the issue and I also provided them links to this thread as well as threads with similar issues. I made sure they had the car on a very hot day and they were able to reproduce it.

I suspect the problem is the inverter and the compressor does not need replacement but Kia recommended both so I am waiting on both. The inverter was a common heat pump failure and I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's the same inverter and same failure, just presenting in hot temperatures instead of cold.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind AWD w/ Tech Interstellar Gray
7 Posts
While many aspects of this problem are similar, I have not observed a correlation with outside temperature. We've had the issue with temps as low as 70F (a lot of solar heat gain here) and higher than 95F. I've not found a way to reliably reproduce the problem, which is why the dealer hasn't made progress. We're headed to Phoenix Thursday, so we'll how it handles 110F - this could be interesting...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to the dealer, the compressor will be in on Tuesday! It will be nice to be able to use the car during the hot days again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts