Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an EV6 AWD GT Line with heat pump on order & I want to put it on All season tyres. Can a UK owner confirm the OEM tyres as 235/55 R19 105 V XL. Nexen tyres seem to be fitted but are there others? I asked the dealer but they have not got back to me.
I favour Michelin CrossClimate 2 these are A rated for efficiency & come in 235/55 R19 105 H XL VOL. VOL indicates they are optimised for Volvo but surely they would be good on EV6. The speed rating is H (130mph) so greater than top speed.

Can anyone please tell me the height of the mirrors measured from underside to ground? I have a charger on order to be fitted in the garage & dont want it to be fitted at a height where the mirrors might hit it. Its odd that Kia dont quote a width over the mirrors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tim, I have recently taken delivery of my GT Line with heat pump, and can confirm Nexen tyres are fitted with those dimensions. The door mirrors are 1030mm (1.03 metres) to the bottom and 1180mm (1.18 Metres) to the top

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think I saw Nokian R3 Used on EV6 in Norway... so for my rim size they would probably be Nokian WR SUV 4 255/45 R20 105V XL... I must admit with AWD I decided to save the money... Nice tyres but probably OTT in the South West.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tim, I have recently taken delivery of my GT Line with heat pump, and can confirm Nexen tyres are fitted with those dimensions. The door mirrors are 1030mm (1.03 metres) to the bottom and 1180mm (1.18 Metres) to the top
Thanks a lot for the info.
I think I saw Nokian R3 Used on EV6 in Norway... so for my rim size they would probably be Nokian WR SUV 4 255/45 R20 105V XL... I must admit with AWD I decided to save the money... Nice tyres but probably OTT in the South West.
In Norway the tyres would likely be winter rather than all season. I have run winter tyres in season for the last 11 winters on a second set of wheels. I want to avoid the cost & trouble of fitting winters each year so my wish for all season. I'm in Aberdeenshire so much more need of snow/ice capable rubber than SW. AWD will give me more traction but do nothing for braking or cornering ability on icy roads.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info.

In Norway the tyres would likely be winter rather than all season. I have run winter tyres in season for the last 11 winters on a second set of wheels. I want to avoid the cost & trouble of fitting winters each year so my wish for all season. I'm in Aberdeenshire so much more need of snow/ice capable rubber than SW. AWD will give me more traction but do nothing for braking or cornering ability on icy roads.
In Aberdeen I would do what you have done. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Crossclimates on my current Skoda 4wd and they're very good. I do wonder if it would be worth having winter/summer tyres for the Ev for the little bit of extra efficiency.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All season tires is the worst of both worlds. Or all worlds. Less grip both summer and winter is not my cup of tea and we have ordered or own a sporty car.

Here in Norway having larger rims on the summer tires is common. Both width and diameters if possible. For an EV it's a lot about range, for all cars it's about grip and/or comfort.

And all season here is just not good enough unless you live in the south and can let the car stay at home the five-ten days they won't work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All season tires is the worst of both worlds. Or all worlds. Less grip both summer and winter is not my cup of tea and we have ordered or own a sporty car.

Here in Norway having larger rims on the summer tires is common. Both width and diameters if possible. For an EV it's a lot about range, for all cars it's about grip and/or comfort.

And all season here is just not good enough unless you live in the south and can let the car stay at home the five-ten days they won't work.
Yes in Norway winter rubber makes sense & all season tyres may not be good enough. In Scotland for most folk they would be a sensible compromise. With the right tyre in some aspects all season can actually be better than summer or winter reference rubber. I could buy winter tyres & have them swapped over to original wheels each winter at a cost & hassle. Or I could buy a second set of wheels as last two cars. Cheapest Kia 19" wheels are £195 each, Wheels & Trims
The standard Khumo & Nexen 19" tyres are A rated for efficiency. The only A rated all season tyre In correct size I can find is Michelin CrossClimate 2 235/55 R19 105 H XL VOL, this is speed rated H not V good for 130mph/210kph thus above cars max speed. Its approved Volvo fitting. I asked Michelin if it was OK for EV6 but they would not approve it as speed rating is lower. They suggested
235/55 R19 105W XL TL CROSSCLIMATE SUV S1 MI an older design B rated.
An alternative which comes out well in tyre test is Continental All Season contact in 235/55 R19 105 V XL as OEM rubber, its B rated & cheaper than Michelin.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think I got the same tyres as everyone else, Nexan: NEXEN TIRE seem to be all season, N'FERA Sports EV 19". Wonder if they are better than the Audi Q4 Etron fitted tyres which were very slippery for me on a test drive, never had a wheel spin from my EV6 yet, did on the Q4 E TRON.. Although, the EV6 back end has slipped a few times for me on Scottish Roads.... pretty frightening, lots of Torque on the EV6!, lesson learned, it is not a ICE car!!!! (Excuse the pun...ICE... Slippery)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Nexen ROADIAN GTX EV, fitted in size 235/55R19 101H, is a premium all-season tyre but seems to be USA market only. I note its a lower load rating & speed rating H which Michelin would not approve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts