Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 AWD GTL2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is similar to other threads complaining about the USB dropping out. It’s happened to me a few times. I’m using an iPhone and mostly a CarLinKit 3 for wireless CarPlay.

The times mine has stopped working has always been while driving with the CarLinKit. When it happens, a cable is useless and the port has no power. When it’s happened, turning the car off and walking away for ~10 minutes fixed it.

I have talked with my service manager who offered to order a USB port. Unfortunately, they are not available at this time.

Monday, I drove over to CA from Las Vegas, using my cable just in case. Worked well. Until I stopped for a bio-break. Did nothing but turn the car off, unplug and take the iPhone off the mount, and go inside.

When I got back in, a simple plug in, turn on dnd go, right? Nope. No wired or wireless CarPlay. Shut it off, walked around the bldg a bit, I wasn’t in a hurry, still nothing.

Finally decided to go on and use Sirius/XM for sound instead of CarPlay. I use the Kia Nav because I like it in the HUD. Then, on a whim, I decided to try a reset of the infotainment system. Vióla! CarPlay was back. I unplugged the cable and tried wireless and it worked.

Now I need to go back to my service manager with this “update”. I’ll try the reset if the wireless cuts off next time. It happens so intermittently there’s no real way to force a failure.

Of course, this may not be the same as you all are experiencing, but I thought I’d share mine.
The initial connection always works for me. I have two phones that I use, one through CarPlay and the other with Android Auto. The disconnections happen with both, usually a short time after the initial connection. There's no rhyme or reason on the timing as it sometimes is stable for a while and then will continuously drop and reconnect. I have Spotify and sometimes listen to music from my phones, but if I'm not listening to Spotify, but the phone is connected, when the disconnect/reconnect happens it will automatically launch Spotify and begin playing music from where I last left off even if I had just been listening to Sirius XM.

I guess it's time to take it to the service department.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The initial connection always works for me. I have two phones that I use, one through CarPlay and the other with Android Auto. The disconnections happen with both, usually a short time after the initial connection. There's no rhyme or reason on the timing as it sometimes is stable for a while and then will continuously drop and reconnect. I have Spotify and sometimes listen to music from my phones, but if I'm not listening to Spotify, but the phone is connected, when the disconnect/reconnect happens it will automatically launch Spotify and begin playing music from where I last left off even if I had just been listening to Sirius XM.

I guess it's time to take it to the service department.
I recognize this, it’s exactly the same for me.

I’ll keep you posted on what comes out of my garage visit tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, they updated the software on the car and said it should be fixed. After driving for 10 minutes, the issue occurred again.
They have no clue what to look for, and as I had to leave, I need to make a new appointment…

I already called another dealer, they said they cannot do anything.. I am also going to test if Android Auto is failing if I can get my hands on an Android Phone.

Only have been a KIA owner for 2 months, and I am already very disappointed..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, they updated the software on the car and said it should be fixed. After driving for 10 minutes, the issue occurred again.
They have no clue what to look for, and as I had to leave, I need to make a new appointment…

I already called another dealer, they said they cannot do anything.. I am also going to test if Android Auto is failing if I can get my hands on an Android Phone.

Only have been a KIA owner for 2 months, and I am already very disappointed..
I don't think Apple vs Android is going to make a difference.

And I'd be surprised if you found a Kia tech that knows how to troubleshoot a USB port. It's probably just a part swap for them if they can establish that it's not working. The trick with an intermittent problem is establishing that it's not working. And even then, I suspect if you pulled the USB port from the car and bench tested it, you'd find that it was just fine. I believe this problem is probably related to the USB controller software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think Apple vs Android is going to make a difference.

And I'd be surprised if you found a Kia tech that knows how to troubleshoot a USB port. It's probably just a part swap for them if they can establish that it's not working. The trick with an intermittent problem is establishing that it's not working. And even then, I suspect if you pulled the USB port from the car and bench tested it, you'd find that it was just fine. I believe this problem is probably related to the USB controller software.
Yeah I agree, but I want to show that is not a Carplay issue but a KIA / USB issue.
The initial response now is that it is probably a Carplay issue, so not KIA’s fault..

I hope the next tech is more thorough. I’ll keep you posted, but it will probably a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have this problem and am very interested in how to solve it. I've tried different cables, wired vs wireless (Motorola MA1), Carplay vs Android Auto, and the resulting error is always the same. About a 10 second disconnect of AA/Carplay. It does not drop power to the device as the Motorola MA1 doesn't lose power or reboot when it happens. It only loses connectivity. I've had the car since April and it only started happening in the last month or two. I'd bring it into the dealership, but I'm worried about the time commitment of trying to validate the problem to the dealership as well as them not knowing how to fix it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thankfully using the MA1 or cabled in, I have not had this problem...working flawlessly thus far, but do want to see what's causing this for some. You would think with us all having the same firmware that we would all have the same problem. .i'm hoping mine doesn't start doig it, because i use Waze religiously.

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
266 Posts
Thankfully using the MA1 or cabled in, I have not had this problem...working flawlessly thus far, but do want to see what's causing this for some. You would think with us all having the same firmware that we would all have the same problem. .i'm hoping mine doesn't start doig it, because i use Waze religiously.
I use the MA1 as well and have this issue. Do you take longer drives...cause I didn't notice mine cutting out till I did 1 hour plus drives. Have had mine since late June.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've done a few 1 hour drives, but most of my drives are about half an hour. The only time I've had it stop was when I had my phone in the wireless charger. It heated the phone up so much that it shut my phone down. So if I need to charge it, I use one of the USB-C ports.

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
266 Posts
I've done a few 1 hour drives, but most of my drives are about half an hour. The only time I've had it stop was when I had my phone in the wireless charger. It heated the phone up so much that it shut my phone down. So if I need to charge it, I use one of the USB-C ports.
I think that may have similar issues with the wireless charger. My Pixel 6 Pro tends to run hot. Hiking in the summer I had it out checking trails and I got a warning saying it's overheating...this was only 10 mins in the sun.

Last trip I had it in the wireless charger but it didn't charge; phone went down to 30%. I notice in the wireless charger it gets pretty hot.

I'll try an iPhone to see how hot it gets.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My iPhone XS (on the latest OS) cuts out when using wired car play or with wireless carplay dongle. I have tried many different cables from apple and aftermarket certifed and my carplay cuts out randomly this is more prevalent lately but it happened from the beginning and I assumed it was my phone. There was one time where the car showed on the screen usb connect failed and I had to turn off the care for 5 minutes to allow the port to fully power off...

I think it is the USB port... I am going to report to my dealer as well....this gets frustrating because the screen blacks out completely sometimes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the car for two days, first long-ish drive and Android Auto cut out after about 20 minutes, then after a minute or so came back partially (Pandora, yes; maps, no.) Pixel 7 phone in jacket pocket, Motorola MA1. I'll try wired for a while to compare.
Jim

·
Registered
EV6 FE Glacier
17 Posts
There have been past posts on this, as I am one of the folks who posted about 7 months ago. It only started happening to me after the dealer updates in April. I've found no solution and seen none posted. This post mentions the dealer reloading the firmware, but still not sure if this fixes the issue

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not have this issue when I am wired in, but when I use my AA wireless adapter it will cut out. For me it has to be an outside source interfering with the WIFI connection. It will cut out in the exact same spots on the freeway to and from work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do not have this issue when I am wired in, but when I use my AA wireless adapter it will cut out. For me it has to be an outside source interfering with the WIFI connection. It will cut out in the exact same spots on the freeway to and from work.
That's wild.. I have no problem with my EV6, but my Mustang when wired in would always cut out the same place on the ride home from work, but since I went wireless with the MA1, it no longer cuts out at all, so just the opposite you are getting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's wild.. I have no problem with my EV6, but my Mustang when wired in would always cut out the same place on the ride home from work, but since I went wireless with the MA1, it no longer cuts out at all, so just the opposite you are getting.
Unfortunately I couldn't get ahold of an MA1 like I wanted. They have been sold out for a long time and I'm not paying a scalper for one.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts