Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
266 Posts
I do not have this issue when I am wired in, but when I use my AA wireless adapter it will cut out. For me it has to be an outside source interfering with the WIFI connection. It will cut out in the exact same spots on the freeway to and from work.
I think you are right.

Today I had a 70mi trip. Going there it cut out twice...going back it cut out again in the exact same locations.

The frustrating thing...for Google maps I downloaded the maps since it prompted me that I'd be in an area without coverage...maybe I need to search for Motorola MA1 issues; should be simple-not rocket science.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Further update: I removed the plastic piece that the USB ports are mounted to (quite simple) and then removed the cable that goes up to the head unit (also simple). I cleaned the pins of the connector and added a tiny bit of conductive grease to the pins. I drove around with the heater blasting for 45mins and had no android auto dropouts even when I tapped the same area as the video before. Not sure if just reseating the connector fixed it or the grease. Will update if it stops working again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Further update: I removed the plastic piece that the USB ports are mounted to (quite simple) and then removed the cable that goes up to the head unit (also simple). I cleaned the pins of the connector and added a tiny bit of conductive grease to the pins. I drove around with the heater blasting for 45mins and had no android auto dropouts even when I tapped the same area as the video before. Not sure if just reseating the connector fixed it or the grease. Will update if it stops working again.
Definitely update us when you have some further testing! Mine cut out the other day 3 times on a 12 minute trip... I have the MA1 as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today I did two drives of an hour each, and Carplay worked fine.. Normally it would cut out at around 20 minutes. I have an appointment in 1,5 weeks, so very curious to see if it keeps working. I didn't change anything after all the updates the workshop did. And straight after those updates it didn't work..

·
Registered
10 Posts
How did you remove the plastic?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Add me to the list of Carplay randomly disconnecting and then immediately reconnecting (using wired Carplay); sometimes it got annoying to the point that at times it was randomly doing it two to three times within a short period of time. It's not the phone cable as I swapped it for an official Apple cable and it still randomly disconnected. I was trying to figure out what would cause the condition, then I came across @drinksta's post #40--sure enough, when I banged the side of the lower center console where the USB outlet is, Carplay would disconnect (and then immediately reconnect); I could replicate this condition at will. So just like what @drinksta did I removed the lower housing where the USB ports are mounted, disconnected and then reconnected the USB molex connector, jiggled and flexed the cable that runs from the back of the USB port to the head unit, then put everything back together and tested the cable connection--no cutouts, regardless of how many times I tapped the lower console housing! I then went on a 500+ mile drive (each way--had to go to SoCal to drive my kids back to college after Thanksgiving break)--not a single Carplay drop/cutout the entire time...and that's even while driving on some sections of freeway that can definitely use some road repairs, as well as using the same exact USB cable I had been using when the issue first reared its ugly head.

Removal of the lower housing is straightforward--best to use a panel clip remover tool to remove the two round fasteners (one on each side of the housing) so you don't inadvertently damage the fastener, then grasp and pull the top part of the housing (which is held in place by three internal plastic clips) towards the rear of the vehicle to completely loosen the housing--don't be afraid to use a little elbow grease here but don't overdo it; remember to pull it straight out towards the rear, not upward or downward or else you might wind up breaking a clip or few; there are no other fasteners/clips securing the bottom part of the housing so don't worry about whether you might accidentally snap/break a fastener in the bottom portion of the housing while removing the housing itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@tonester Glad that fixed worked for you. My wife and I still have not had any disconnects since reseating the usb cable connectors behind the center console dash plastic thing. We need to get the word out about this fix because I see the same problem on the Ioniq 5 & EV6 forum, facebook pages, groups etc. So far @tonester is the only one who has posted that this fixed the issue for them.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I cleaned the pins of the connector and added a tiny bit of conductive grease to the pins.
... disconnected and then reconnected the USB molex connector, jiggled and flexed the cable that runs from the back of the USB port to the head unit
I've also been having random disconnects, which seem to be increasing in frequency. I'm using an AA Wireless device, so I've been assuming the issue is a wireless one, but these posts make me wonder. So I decided to try the above suggestion of cleaning the connector. @drinksta , @tonester , just to make sure I'm following along correctly... when I pulled the panel out, there's the USB A port which can be removed from the panel, but the wires that are attached to it appear to be permanently connected. One of the two wires that comes out of that connector extends about 8" to a white molex connector. I assume this is the conector you're referring to? Once I disconnected that connector, the pins were too tiny/recessed to clean, I assume you're talking about a spray cleaner? I simply disconnected then reconnected to see if that would result in better contact, time will tell. Just wanted to check in and make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've also been having random disconnects, which seem to be increasing in frequency. I'm using an AA Wireless device, so I've been assuming the issue is a wireless one, but these posts make me wonder. So I decided to try the above suggestion of cleaning the connector. @drinksta , @tonester , just to make sure I'm following along correctly... when I pulled the panel out, there's the USB A port which can be removed from the panel, but the wires that are attached to it appear to be permanently connected. One of the two wires that comes out of that connector extends about 8" to a white molex connector. I assume this is the conector you're referring to? Once I disconnected that connector, the pins were too tiny/recessed to clean, I assume you're talking about a spray cleaner? I simply disconnected then reconnected to see if that would result in better contact, time will tell. Just wanted to check in and make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking.

Thanks!
I think the wireless adapters cutting out might be a different issue. However this is worth a try.

I made this video to help:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think the wireless adapters cutting out might be a different issue. However this is worth a try.

I made this video to help
Yes, the wireless adapter add another potential problem. It's hard to know if my issues are wireless, the wired connection, or a sum of both problems. My daily driving is mostly relatively short trips, so I generally don't like bothering with the wired connection, and it's sporadic enough that it would be hard to determine the cause of the problem. On my typical short trips (15-20 minutes), I could make the entire trip w/o a disconnect, or I might experience 10 disconnects. On a longer (~5hr) road trip, I tried a wired connection to compare to try to confirm that the issue was wireless. I only had one disconnect the entire trip, which was unusually low for that amount of time, so I determined the issue was the wireless adapter. But the disconnects have become more frequent lately, which is why I decided to try this to see if an intermittent connection was at least part of my issue.

Thanks for the video, I'm sure that will be very helpful to many. I did not disconnect the upper blue connector, only the white one. We'll see if anything improves.

·
Registered
'22 Runway Red EV6 GT-line AWD (7/22)
53 Posts
I do not have this issue when I am wired in, but when I use my AA wireless adapter it will cut out. For me it has to be an outside source interfering with the WIFI connection. It will cut out in the exact same spots on the freeway to and from work.
There's a spot near us (I-275 and M-14 interchange) that does this to us as well. We're using the carsifi wireless adapter

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's a spot near us (I-275 and M-14 interchange) that does this to us as well. We're using the carsifi wireless adapter
I came across this post on reddit about the setting on android/samsung phones:

In my case this worked for both a Samsung A70 and a Samsung Galaxy s21 5g:

-go to settings, then connections, then tap on wifi.

-now click the 3 dots in the top right and click advanced

-Make sure that "switch to mobile data" is turned off. - this setting floats between wifi and mobile data to smooth out speed/network issues. since wireless android auto works over wifi, if you have interference from external wireless then your phone will start kicking out of android auto on you and make the perceived issue even worse

-make sure that "hotspot 2.0" is also off. - this setting automatically looks for and tries to connect to hotspot 2.0 networks. Cities are FULL of these hotspots which are put up by shaw/bell or any number of internet/cellular providers. if you're wirelessly connected to android auto and then your phone starts trying to connect to random hotspots you're going to definitely run the risk of connection issues.

-Extra note: I also disabled every other wireless feature other than to show network quality info when selecting a network to connect to, since that's the only feature I actually needed.

-additional extra note: AVRCP 1.4 and 1.5 are confirmed to work for bluetooth in this configuration.

·
Registered
924 Posts

Thanks!
I didn't go nearly as far as what @drinksta did with his; and yes I did nothing more than simply disconnect the USB-A port/harness from the console panel; I push the wires into the port-side connector just in case they weren't firmly seated into the connector, kicked the tires so to speak on any other visible connectors behind the console just to make sure they were firmly plugged in, tried to trace the USB cable by feel to the end that goes into the headunit--I wasn't about to blindly try to disconnect it from the headunit for fear I would not be able to plug it back in, given that I couldn't see bleep up in there, plus it's already a tight fit without having to resort to removing the entire headunit itself. I didn't spray/clean the pins, if only because I didn't have any electrical contact cleaner on me, but in any case like I stated earlier things seem to be holding up well so far.

·
Registered
'22 Runway Red EV6 GT-line AWD (7/22)
53 Posts
I came across this post on reddit about the setting on android/samsung phones:

In my case this worked for both a Samsung A70 and a Samsung Galaxy s21 5g:

-go to settings, then connections, then tap on wifi.

-now click the 3 dots in the top right and click advanced

-Make sure that "switch to mobile data" is turned off. - this setting floats between wifi and mobile data to smooth out speed/network issues. since wireless android auto works over wifi, if you have interference from external wireless then your phone will start kicking out of android auto on you and make the perceived issue even worse

-make sure that "hotspot 2.0" is also off. - this setting automatically looks for and tries to connect to hotspot 2.0 networks. Cities are FULL of these hotspots which are put up by shaw/bell or any number of internet/cellular providers. if you're wirelessly connected to android auto and then your phone starts trying to connect to random hotspots you're going to definitely run the risk of connection issues.

-Extra note: I also disabled every other wireless feature other than to show network quality info when selecting a network to connect to, since that's the only feature I actually needed.

-additional extra note: AVRCP 1.4 and 1.5 are confirmed to work for bluetooth in this configuration.

In my case, "Switch to Mobile Data" is already off.

I don't see "hotspot 2.0" but the setting "Notify for public networks" is On.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts