Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT-L RWD
243 Posts
I finally got my hands on a Motorola MA1 and have been using it on the EV6. It actually works really well. Setup requires that you have your phone connected to and working with Android Auto via the USB connection first, then disconnect the phone and plug the MA1 into the car's USB port; from there you just pair with the MA1 over Bluetooth from the phone and after a few seconds, the AA on the car starts working.

After that initial setup, the phone automatically starts projecting AA wirelessly through the MA1 when the phone connects to the Kia Bluetooth. It's been working pretty flawlessly and the only side-effect is while I'm within Bluetooth range of the MA1 and the USB port is powered on (like when charging or having just turned the car off), it seems that my phone detects the MA1 and a message appears in the notification bar that it's waiting for the Android Auto connection to become ready.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-L RWD
243 Posts
After using both the Motorola and the AAWireless, I can say the AAWireless is the better option for the EV6 because it has the companion app where you can set it to only start up Android Auto when the phone connects to the Kia Bluetooth.

Both work fine but the Motorola will cause a persistent notification on your phone says "looking for Android Auto" if you're close enough to the car when the car is off due to the USB port always being powered. By default, the AAWireless does this too, but if you download the companion app and enable the appropriate setting in it, it will keep this from happening.

Other than that minor nuisance, both seem to work fine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
After using both the Motorola and the AAWireless, I can say the AAWireless is the better option for the EV6 because it has the companion app where you can set it to only start up Android Auto when the phone connects to the Kia Bluetooth.

Both work fine but the Motorola will cause a persistent notification on your phone says "looking for Android Auto" if you're close enough to the car when the car is off due to the USB port always being powered. By default, the AAWireless does this too, but if you download the companion app and enable the appropriate setting in it, it will keep this from happening.

Other than that minor nuisance, both seem to work fine.
Really hoping they release the newer firmware this month. It has the option to change the 5GHz channel the wifi uses which should help with interference issues you can run into with wireless AA.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-L RWD
243 Posts
I'm not running into any interference issues personally, and I'd expect 2.4GHz to be a much busier frequency TBH, more devices on 2.4GHz and it reaches further.

FWIW, my AAWireless app shows the option to force 2.4GHz mode, but again I personally don't see any need to.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm not running into any interference issues personally, and I'd expect 2.4GHz to be a much busier frequency TBH, more devices on 2.4GHz and it reaches further.

FWIW, my AAWireless app shows the option to force 2.4GHz mode, but again I personally don't see any need to.
I've run into interference running around. A number of devices are in the 5GHz range and can affect it just due to those devices poor control and bleeding into other frequencies, you can even have those toll readers on the highway affect it. It's a known issue. Forcing 2.4GHz is one work around that appears to help, but I have the beta version of the app and see they have more things planned, one being the channel choise on 5GHz.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the AA wireless that I used in my Lincoln navigator. Whenever I am within 20 feet of the vehicle my phone keeps beeping making and connections to the vehicle. I presume the aa wireless is always powered in that usb port. My phone connects to the AA wireless whether I am driving or not unless we choose another phone.

On the other hand, the MA1 in my EV 6 does not do this. And if another person is driving and their phone is connected to the EV6 with their profile, my phone does not connect to the MA1.

I think the MA1 is easier to use because no added app to install on a phone. All you have to do is pair it with any phone so if multiple people and phones want to use it, this is a better way to go than having to install the AA wireless on each and every phone using the device.

However, they both work very well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the AA wireless that I used in my Lincoln navigator. Whenever I am within 20 feet of the vehicle my phone keeps beeping making and connections to the vehicle. I presume the aa wireless is always powered in that usb port. My phone connects to the AA wireless whether I am driving or not unless we choose another phone.

On the other hand, the MA1 in my EV 6 does not do this. And if another person is driving and their phone is connected to the EV6 with their profile, my phone does not connect to the MA1.

I think the MA1 is easier to use because no added app to install on a phone. All you have to do is pair it with any phone so if multiple people and phones want to use it, this is a better way to go than having to install the AA wireless on each and every phone using the device.

However, they both work very well.
AAWireless has a setting in the app that you can set to have it wait for your phone to connect via BT to the car before looking for the AAWireless device via BT and starting AA.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Could anybody post a photo of where you plug in Android Auto and ideally a photo of anybody with AAWireless set up?
You can only plug it into the usb a port in front part of cener console facing driver, the port on left thats the bigger one. Make sure aawireless app on your phone, enable the android auto on your kia ev6. Enable your phone and pair your phone blue tooth to aawireless device. Make aure android like 11 or 12 on phone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The EV6 does not natively support wireless Android Auto. You will need a dongle or AI box that makes a wired connection to the EV6 head unit, and then makes a wireless connection to your phone. (prior posts in this thread discuss some of the available choices.) As the prior poster indicated, only one USB port in the EV6 connects to the head unit, and that is the USBA port on the front left.

For your phone, the earliest version of Android that supports Android Auto wireless is Android 10. The settings in the android auto app will have a "Wireless Android Auto" setting if wireless is supported.

·
Registered
11 Posts
(prior posts in this thread discuss some of the available choices.)
Thanks - I've not got my EV6 yet but I do have AAWireless and am in fact a software beta tester for them which is helpful. With my Audi A4 I've created quite a nice hidden setup so was wondering if it was close with the EV6. Now having Wirleless Android Auto is one of the big downsides to be honest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts