Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FE edition is set to arrive over the weekend and before I sign off, I really want to make sure the range is better than my Mach E AWD.

On average, I lose about 40%+ of range below 40F degrees to the point I got stranded recently on a mountain during a ski trip. I’m hoping that with the heat pump, the range should be handled better but has anyone actually tested range yet in cold weather?
Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
My FE edition is set to arrive over the weekend and before I sign off, I really want to make sure the range is better than my Mach E AWD.

On average, I lose about 40%+ of range below 40F degrees to the point I got stranded recently on a mountain during a ski trip. I’m hoping that with the heat pump, the range should be handled better but has anyone actually tested range yet in cold weather?
Thanks!
If Ford can figure out proper battery conditioning in colder weather I think there's a lot of room for improvement. I don't see a dramatic difference in e-heat on or off with my MME-GT.....but I do if the battery is preconditioned before a cold trip.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
I just got a GT-Line RWD from a dealer 450 miles away and drove it back this morning in very cold weather. Here is what I observed.

Starting conditions: 17 deg (F) outside at 0645 with visible frost on roof. Used app to turn on climate to defrost. Battery was at about 55% charge when that finished so off for a charge to 85% before heading out. Tried to do it with the remote but it wouldn't work from inside my hotel room.

Outside temp was 20 deg. Heat was on at 67 deg, fan level 5, driver only for the trip. Average speed around 75 (posted limit of 70) and hilly but not steep terrain.

For the first hour or so I'm getting about 2 miles for every % of battery charge. The rate improved over time as it warms, getting to about 2.4 miles per pct as it reaches 40 deg outside.

I turned the heat off after a charging stop where I had the car on to change some the settings. During the time I was running with no heat (outside temp mi-30s) I was getting about 2.75 miles per pct.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Thanks!
I live in New England and am supposed to receive my EV6 Wind AWD (with tech package, Glacier) at the end of April (at MSTP). I’ve been working from home for two years but expect my office will have us come back to the office starting in May. Probably 1-2 days per week. 40 mile drive each way with no charging available at work or along the travel route. No problem generally as I will have a level 2 charger at home. But, come winter, what can I expect for battery power on my trip home after my car sits outside in the cold for 8-10 hours with no charging. Not exactly sure how these LI batteries work. Do these batteries discharge in the cold or are they just less efficient? I know some of you are using these cars in cold weather. Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
Here's a test from Norway that pins the range loss at 12% for AWDs in 0 to 10 degree (F) weather. Pretty close to my experience driving the car from the dealer in 30 degree weather at interstate speeds (17% loss). https://www.motor.no/aktuelt/motors-store-vintertest-av-rekkevidde-pa-elbiler/217132

Even if you assume your driving conditions would cause twice the range loss in the worst case, an 80 mile round trip commute should not be a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did my first longish drive this weekend from Maine to NH for a bike race (bike in car). Starting at 100% charge, driving @75-80 mph for most of the drive, 36 F the whole trip. Initial range showed 250 miles, drove in ECO the whole time with climate off most of the way or driver only. After 124-mile trip the range said I had 62 miles left. I was shocked. 36F is not exactly frigid. I am not entirely sure why the starting range was 250 to begin with. The car seems to have determined I will get less range based on the very little driving I have done so far, ~600 miles at that point. As I write this it is sitting with 56% battery and showing 121 miles of range.

·
Registered
2022 Stinger, 2019 Sorento, 2017 Sportage
209 Posts
75-80 will reduce mileage quite a bit from what I have heard. Just going down to 70 should have given you much better range, plus low to no regen brakes at that highway speed(unless going down hill).

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
91 Posts
Averaging over 70 is a mileage killer for any car. That's why there used to be a maximum speed limit of 55.

While the guess-o-meters can be useful for deciding when to recharge, they're not a good way to measure energy use in real time because they constantly change their estimate based on your most recent drive. Comparing two numbers generated from different data sets can cause unnecessary angst. It sounds like instead of using 75% of your battery, you used something less than that but your range estimate dropped because you were burning through it faster and the car expected you to get fewer miles out of whatever was left.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts