Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a keen kayaker and need to load boats onto a roof rack.

Kia say they do not make a roofrack but Thule do list a model they say is compatible (Thule Clamp Evo). This appears to fit a clamp under the top of the door seal and the base sits on the roof.

Has anyone tried this? Went to see a car in the showroom and was struck by how angled the roof is just above the door closure. Bit nervous it will work-and it is a dealbreaker for me on the car.

Yakima don't show any suitable model at the moment

·
Registered
11 Posts
The salesman at Kia Bath told us that the GT Line S, which has the “panoramic“ sunroof, won’t be able to take roof bars, even if/when Kia officially release/authorise them for other EV6 trims.

Although the sunroof opening on the inside is not much bigger than a standard non-panoramic sunroof, the glass section on the outside extends pretty much to the edge of the roof. So any foot/clamp system would likely rest on or obstruct the glass section.

The Air and GT Line (and GT!) may have more options for roof bars as a result.

I pretty much decided that, as long as I can get a towbar for bikes and utility trailer, I don’t really need to put stuff on the roof. Wickes etc do offer delivery services, after all. Also saves on the hernia from lifting stuff up there, and the aero impact on range/efficiency!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The salesman at Kia Bath told us that the GT Line S, which has the “panoramic“ sunroof, won’t be able to take roof bars, even if/when Kia officially release/authorise them for other EV6 trims.

Although the sunroof opening on the inside is not much bigger than a standard non-panoramic sunroof, the glass section on the outside extends pretty much to the edge of the roof. So any foot/clamp system would likely rest on or obstruct the glass section.

The Air and GT Line (and GT!) may have more options for roof bars as a result.

I pretty much decided that, as long as I can get a towbar for bikes and utility trailer, I don’t really need to put stuff on the roof. Wickes etc do offer delivery services, after all. Also saves on the hernia from lifting stuff up there, and the aero impact on range/efficiency!
Yes I had realised that the sunroof would be an issue, but I am looking at the GT line model. Weight isn't really an issue, two seakayaks will be about 42kg combined. Just location of the fixingsm

·
Registered
6 Posts
The UK Roof Box company has roof bars listed for tge EV6 (no mention of any issues with the glass roof, but that doesn't mean there aren't any!)
Roofboxdotcodotuk
Apologies, I posted the actual link first, not realising it might not be allowed!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here’s why a roof bar will be difficult with the sunroof. Look how it opens and how wide it is. The glass ends up overlapping where the bars would mount. And there’s no rail area on the front half where the sunroof is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I emailed The Roof Box Company, the reply is pasted below. As I thought, you can have a roof box with the sun roof, but don't open it! This makes sense in any case, as I'm sure wind noise etc would be too intrusive and the car would be even less aerodynamic. Good point also about being careful over what weight is carried with a sun roof fitted!

Thank you for your enquiry.

Thule don't specify a particular warning on opening the glass roof on the fitting instructions for the Kia EV6, but it is usually the case that it will not be possible to open a glass roof whilst roof bars are fitted and even if the position of the roof bars allows for this, the manufacturers recommend to keep a glass roof closed when bars are fitted, due to the effect this can have on the air flow and noise production. Please do also check the roof loading limit of the handbook prior to purchase, as this can often be lower on models that have a glass roof.

I hope this is helpful, but if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes

Kerry @ The Roof Box Company

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for posting that video. I am pretty sure I am going to order the car, I am going to order the Thule feet shown as compatible and try them at the dealer before confirming.

I think the load is actually taken on the steel of the car roof away from the glass but at least I can check it. Looks like no problem fitting to the GT-Line version but I'd prefer the model with the glass roof (and the extra spec generally) on balance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for posting that video. I am pretty sure I am going to order the car, I am going to order the Thule feet shown as compatible and try them at the dealer before confirming.
Please let us know how it goes if you get to try on a GTlineS.

Both EV6 test drives I’ve done, I accidentally opened the sunroof when trying to just draw the shade back.

I’d be concerned that doing that with bars on would risk damaging the glass - probably expensive to replace!

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
42 Posts
It is strange that the sunshade can’t be retracted without opening the roof
@EVjon ,

It's a two position switch, and if you are a bit heavy handed and push it too far the glass will open aswell. I think @mishad was saying that if you accidentaly did that with the roof bars on there may be a bit of a conflict! :poop::eek:

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts