Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

So i've been driving the ev6 for five days now and i love it. BUT, as the title suggests apple car play keeps randomly stopping. It is as if I have unplugged the phone. The fix is to unplug and replug the phone and 8 out of 10 times this fixes it.

Same phone and modern (robust!) cable as i had in the eNiro where i never had that problem. Now I've not gotton round to changing the cable yet - i've got a genuine apple one somewhere, but just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this?

At first i thought it was maybe my phone rocking about a bit which is fair enough but even when i ensure that the phone is fixed and with no undue force on the cable taking place I still am getting this.

So this is an "anyone else?" sanity check please. If there is a general problem somewhere then maybe this affects android as well but don't have so can't comment.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
Check the iPhones lightning port and make sure you don’t have lint or anything in it preventing the cable from seating 100%. I’ve had this happen before. I used a toothpick and clean it out and good to go again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the iPhones lightning port and make sure you don’t have lint or anything in it preventing the cable from seating 100%. I’ve had this happen before. I used a toothpick and clean it out and good to go again.
Yes i'll check thanks. I suspect not but like you said needs checking. If it's just that then fab. edit - oh and i've had a brand new cable behave like this before as well. And that WAS the cable. But that was a belkin and so in the end i bought quality ones and never had an issue but i will check yes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you considered a "carplay 2 air" dongle, it does away with the cable and connects wirelessly to the car.
mine seems to connect every time. lot more expensive than a replacement cable but more convenient.
just to add to Cnsheets comment, I also had fluff and stuff in my iphone at one point. I used an old lightly damped toothbrush to clean the lightning port , it seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you considered a "carplay 2 air" dongle, it does away with the cable and connects wirelessly to the car.
mine seems to connect every time. lot more expensive than a replacement cable but more convenient.
just to add to Cnsheets comment, I also had fluff and stuff in my iphone at one point. I used an old lightly damped toothbrush to clean the lightning port , it seemed to do the trick.
See this is why i love people like you. Telling me something i had no idea even existed! Sounds like a great fallback if i can't get the cable going 100%.so thx.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
See this is why i love people like you. Telling me something i had no idea even existed! Sounds like a great fallback if i can't get the cable going 100%.so thx.
I purchased a similar Android AI box. Will use it in the EV6 when I get one. But currently using it in my Forte and it’s been flawless. Get in the car and go and it automatically connects wirelessly. The box I got is fully open so I can use Netflix, YouTube, etc. or anything available on the play store.

This is the one I got: Apple pie mini

·
Registered
534 Posts
all good advice but I would use pure alcohol rather than any water to clean a lightning port. There's also gold cleaner which would be even better. Wooden or plastic toothpick or a "cocktail stick" and be gentle. I use the Carplay2Air and it's excellent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so......

after my road trip this weekend i can report back on this carplay/car/me/cable issue.

So the first 2 thirds of the journey to my destination were fine, no drop outs. Then i started getting loss of connection and had to unplug and replug the phone to get it back. After a while it then decided not to allow itself to be fixed by unplugging the plugging in the phone, even though when you do it the phone vibrates, the car says "reading usb device" etc. Carplay just is not available. So as i was off the motorway i decided to pull over and investigate. And this is the message the car displays :

Plant Motor vehicle Computer Laptop Vehicle

I mean wtf? And yes, this is in the only usb socket for the head unit, not the type c ports. So i thought that's so illogical that without touching ANYTHING, just turn the car off and on again. Did that, and hey presto carplay works instantly.
Got to my destination.
Friend gives me a brand new lighting to usb cable to try on the return home. Did the entire trip without one drop out whatsoever.

Great i thought, it is the usb cable.

Today, went on a short journey had one drop out with the exact same cable i'd used for my 200 mile return journey with no problems. Unplug, replug, worked.

Can you hear me sighing?

·
Registered
534 Posts
it's near impossible to diagnose remotely... did you try the phone cleaning technique? reason I ask is the new cable might help the situation initially but then fail after a little time. If your phone contacts are dirty it can cause tiny sparks and heat. You can see small burn marks on many used lighting cables. My logic is your phone is the constant. Also that message is similar to the one you get you get when non Apple MFI certified cables. Even without these burn marks cable can fail intermittently.

Automotive lighting Rectangle Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's near impossible to diagnose remotely... did you try the phone cleaning technique? reason I ask is the new cable might help the situation initially but then fail after a little time. If your phone contacts are dirty it can cause tiny sparks and heat. You can see small burn marks on many used lighting cables. My logic is your phone is the constant. Also that message is similar to the one you get you get when non Apple MFI certified cables. Even without these burn marks cable can fail intermittently.
I have now had a good poke around in it with a toothpick (or 5) and a surprising amount of stuff came out so let's hope that that's fixed it. I guess it was that error message that got me. It's like the car saying "yeah so you've got an iphone connected, on a usb cable, ok but nah why should I let carplay work". I could understand it if there's no connection at all but i guess that just shows how little i know about, potentially if you have dust etc, how MUCH of that lightning connector actually needs to touch the contact(s) in order for EVERYTHING to work....if you see what i mean...:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have now had a good poke around in it with a toothpick (or 5) and a surprising amount of stuff came out so let's hope that that's fixed it. I guess it was that error message that got me. It's like the car saying "yeah so you've got an iphone connected, on a usb cable, ok but nah why should I let carplay work". I could understand it if there's no connection at all but i guess that just shows how little i know about, potentially if you have dust etc, how MUCH of that lightning connector actually needs to touch the contact(s) in order for EVERYTHING to work....if you see what i mean...:)
lol. Cable issues are a big big reason why wireless is so desired. I've lost count the number of times AA will disconnect from just a slight bump in the road while I'm using it in my Bolt. I am waiting impatiently for my AAWireless to arrive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol. Cable issues are a big big reason why wireless is so desired. I've lost count the number of times AA will disconnect from just a slight bump in the road while I'm using it in my Bolt. I am waiting impatiently for my AAWireless to arrive.
For sure. Basically if this doesn't work then i'll invest in one of the wireless kits that were mentioned earlier here. Question for you - is the Bolt a decent car? Obviously not if it catches fire but given that you've got one that doesn't how are you getting on with it? Anything major a pain or just the usual niggles that every car seems able to provide?

·
Registered
385 Posts
For sure. Basically if this doesn't work then i'll invest in one of the wireless kits that were mentioned earlier here. Question for you - is the Bolt a decent car? Obviously not if it catches fire but given that you've got one that doesn't how are you getting on with it? Anything major a pain or just the usual niggles that every car seems able to provide?
Honestly, if it had AWD and faster DCFC charging it would be darn near perfect. Love my Bolt and it drives great. Haven't had any issues with it. Mine has the recall done to it so I have a new battery pack in it which also gave it a touch more range due to being the newer cell chemistry they put out back in 2020. I would say the Bolt is a great commuter vehicle, grocery getter. The EV6 is great for that AND road trips. The Bolt can road trip, but I would say anything over 400 miles becomes a long slog due to the slower fast charging.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, if it had AWD and faster DCFC charging it would be darn near perfect. Love my Bolt and it drives great. Haven't had any issues with it. Mine has the recall done to it so I have a new battery pack in it which also gave it a touch more range due to being the newer cell chemistry they put out back in 2020. I would say the Bolt is a great commuter vehicle, grocery getter. The EV6 is great for that AND road trips. The Bolt can road trip, but I would say anything over 400 miles becomes a long slog due to the slower fast charging.
Yes AWD was one thing i wanted. Better corner handling (compared to my Eniro, which i loved btw) and towing were the other two. The fast charging of the EV6 was a future proof thing as well. I still try and convince my "2 car owning" neighbours to trade their local runabout in for an EV for grocery getting as you say but they remain unconvinced. I know what it is, they just don't want to change and when it comes down to it couldn't give 2 sh1ts about the environment, despite all the pros of EV ownership.
Glad to hear you got the battery replaced. The bolt's a "ground up" EV right? Not based on a reverse engineered ICE yeah?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes AWD was one thing i wanted. Better corner handling (compared to my Eniro, which i loved btw) and towing were the other two. The fast charging of the EV6 was a future proof thing as well. I still try and convince my "2 car owning" neighbours to trade their local runabout in for an EV for grocery getting as you say but they remain unconvinced. I know what it is, they just don't want to change and when it comes down to it couldn't give 2 sh1ts about the environment, despite all the pros of EV ownership.
Glad to hear you got the battery replaced. The bolt's a "ground up" EV right? Not based on a reverse engineered ICE yeah?
Yes, the Bolt was a ground up EV design so no ICE compromises for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a worse car play problem. Not only the wireless does not work, but cable connection to a usb-c port does not work--using the Apple supplied usb-c to lightening cable that came with my NEW iPhone 13. Plug it into the solitary usb-a port with an old cable and it works. Is there a problem with the usb-c ports?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am playing apple music over wired android auto and I have had some problems where the music just stalls into a loud skipping sound. anyone else?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts