Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an EV6 yesterday, and Kia dealer charged me $995 for a Schumacherelectric SC1455 16A charger. I see this is only a 3.8KW charger. Is that the recommended charger type? I see there are other chargers (also much less money) options for 11KW like the ChargePoint Home Flex for $699 at Amazon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Someone will undoubtedly come along and correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the majority of chargers that can do both Level 1 and Level 2 are rated at a max 16A for both 120V and 240V AC; the 3.8kW figure is derived from 240V * 12A (load not allowed to be greater than 80% of circuit breaker rating--hence 16A * 80% = 12A) = 3840 watts or 3.84 kW. If I were you, unless money is no object I'd return that $995 charger ASAP if possible--there are plenty of third-party options similar to it that are available for ~$200 or so. BTW I have the same exact charger you referenced, except I bought it from Amazon for $200; did I mention that you really should return yours ASAP?

The ChargePoint Home Flex is a Level 2 charging station capable of supplying a max load of 50A at 240V (=12 kW); however, the max output will be 9.6 kW if you don't hardwire it for loads >40A. Obviously the 16A dual charger is the more affordable and/or simpler solution, especially if you live in a home where you don't have a spare NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 240V outlet or are not able to have one installed for whatever reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you @tonester I had to pay 10K more at the dealer for the car, so to also be dinged on the charger also feels like an insult. I will see if they will take this as a return, or credit me on the price.

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
78 Posts
@Morrolan that could be your travel EVSE since it can do both 120V and 240V but it does not provide the maximum amount of power that the EV6 charger can handle. It costs $199.99 on Amazon but at least they gave you something for the $995 markup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @MikeV good point on the travel EVSE, thank you. I think it is better for the Kia dealership in the long term to provide their customers with a charger that has more options 16/24/32/40 Amp unit with NEMA 14-50 Plug. Or at least notify customers this 16A unit is a light weight maybe more suitable to travel. And at $995, they can still make 100% mark-up on a charger like the Grizzl-E Level 2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got an EV6 yesterday, and Kia dealer charged me $995 for a Schumacherelectric SC1455 16A charger. I see this is only a 3.8KW charger. Is that the recommended charger type? I see there are other chargers (also much less money) options for 11KW like the ChargePoint Home Flex for $699 at Amazon.
I paid $149 for the same charger. I’d definitely take it back. They are readily available at most NAPA auto stores

1 - 7 of 7 Posts