Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're still undecided between the two cars and given that they are so similar spec-wise, I'd like to hear why you like the EV6 over the Ioniq 5. (Since this is a EV6 forum, I'm assuming that most people here have made this choice.)

Obviously, they look quite different and since styling preferences are so subjective, I'd like to hear why you picked the EV6 over the Ioniq 5, if exterior styling isn't part of the equation. If exterior styling was the sole or predominate reason, please let me know.

Thanks, I just want to make sure that haven't missed anything.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Telluride and 2022 KIA EV6 GT-Line First Edition
64 Posts
I am already a KIA owner so I had some brand experience. We purchased our KIA Telluride in 2019. Hyundai and Kia are the number 7 and 8 best selling car brands in the US in 2021. They have very similar sales number. Kia had slightly more growth from 2020 to 2021 and I prefer the Kia brand image. I found the Kia Telluride to be premium appearance and features to the Hyundai Palisade. As I look at the EV6, I just feel like it is premium to the Ioniq 5. On the spec sheet the vehicles all look similar, so it is probably more subjective than anything.

I will also tell you that the EV6 looks better in person than in the photos. It is a Tesla Model Y killer in my opinion. I bet Kia can't keep up with demand at all this year. Even the Kia Telluride is still back ordered months, two years after launch.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue
120 Posts
I'm still undecided as well. I like the interior on the EV6 better... probably better range.. comes with V2L adapter... but I'm forced to get matte paint as that's the only color option I like on the AWD GT-Line. I also think it's a bit snug in the headroom department.

The ioniq 5 on the other hand, I prefer the pano roof versus regular sunroof. I have more headroom but I don't care for the white bezels on the infotainment or the center console layout. But I can get the limited AWD in cyber grey for about 3k less than the EV6... AND save another $4,000 plus in not needing to do a PPF to protect matte paint on top of free charging at EA.

It's a tough choice and honestly it'll probably come down to whichever one I can get a better deal on when the time comes that I'm ready to buy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m choosing the EV6, in addition to exterior styling, because of the following:

-Faster 0-60 (on paper)
-Greater range (on paper)
-interior styling preference
-Double the speakers in top end stereo (not sure how much of a difference this plays into real world sound quality)
-Fully operable sunroof

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
252 Posts
We're still undecided between the two cars and given that they are so similar spec-wise, I'd like to hear why you like the EV6 over the Ioniq 5. (Since this is a EV6 forum, I'm assuming that most people here have made this choice.)

Obviously, they look quite different and since styling preferences are so subjective, I'd like to hear why you picked the EV6 over the Ioniq 5, if exterior styling isn't part of the equation. If exterior styling was the sole or predominate reason, please let me know.

Thanks, I just want to make sure that haven't missed anything.
I haven't bought yet, but probably will soon. I originally thought I wanted the Ioniq 5. When I test drove one, I was underwhelmed. Yes, it's fast. But it felt like a boat to me. Very disconnected from the road. Super comfortable ride, but I prefer sports cars to land cruisers. After the test drive, I widened my search to other vehicles. When I discovered that the EV 6 was available, I test drove it too.

And I was in love.

I came away from the Ioniq test drive thinking it was OK, but way too big a vehicle for my tastes. I came away from the EV 6 knowing this is the car I had to buy. The two are very similar in size, of course, but the styling and tuning makes them handle very, very differently. I had expected the two to drive very similarly. I could not have been more wrong.

Sitting in the Ioniq 5 felt like sitting in a large, comfortable, vehicle.

Sitting in the EV 6 felt like I was wearing the EV 6. It became an extension of my self.

EV 6 advantages:

It is much more fun to drive. This, alone, is the deciding factor for me.

I (mosly) like the exterior styling better on the EV 6, although I like the pixelated lights on the Ioniq.

I much prefer the interior styling on the EV 6. In particular, the dedicated seat HVAC buttons on the center console are really nice -- the Ioniq doesn't have those.

The EV 6 has a sunroof that opens.

If you don't want black, white or grey, the Ioniq offers relatively subdued colors. The EV 6 has bright, bold colors, which I prefer.

It comes with the V2L adapter (but see below for the Ioniq's advantage). This is a $500 or $600 part.

Although I didn't try them myself, and am not 100% sure that the North American versions have this, the European spec EV 6s have levers in the cargo area that let you fold down the rear seats remotely instead of walking around to the rear doors. It's a nice touch, assuming our cars have this feature.

Ioniq 5 advantages:

It has a huge glass roof.

It has an interior 120V V2L outlet. I don't think the EV 6 has one, or at least I didn't see it.

The Ioniq is slightly less expensive.

It's easier to find a dealer willing to sell at MSRP.

The free EA charging deal is better.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I tested an Ionic 5 before buying the EV6.

• Way better seats in the EV6.
  • Back seats can’t be folded when standing at the rear in the Ionic 5.
  • Nicer interior in the EV6. The Ionic 5 is too open and resembles a work car in the front IMO. I don’t like the dashboard in the Ionic 5. Everything inside just seems like better quality in the EV6.
  • The Ionic 5 leans too much in corners.
  • The Ionic 5 was more expensive than the EV6 for the setup that we wanted.
  • The EV6 has better range, is a bit faster and has a bit higher max charge speed.
  • The EV6 has 7 years/150.000 km. warranty, and the Ionic has 5.
  • I trust Kia a tad more than I trust Hyundai.
I live in Denmark, so some things may be different where you live.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't bought yet, but probably will soon. I originally thought I wanted the Ioniq 5. When I test drove one, I was underwhelmed. Yes, it's fast. But it felt like a boat to me. Very disconnected from the road. Super comfortable ride, but I prefer sports cars to land cruisers. After the test drive, I widened my search to other vehicles. When I discovered that the EV 6 was available, I test drove it too.

And I was in love.

I came away from the Ioniq test drive thinking it was OK, but way too big a vehicle for my tastes. I came away from the EV 6 knowing this is the car I had to buy. The two are very similar in size, of course, but the styling and tuning makes them handle very, very differently. I had expected the two to drive very similarly. I could not have been more wrong.

Sitting in the EV 6 felt like I was wearing the EV 6. It became an extension of my self.

EV 6 advantages:

I (mosly) like the exterior styling better on the EV 6, although I like the pixelated lights on the Ioniq.

I much prefer the interior styling on the EV 6. In particular, the dedicated seat HVAC buttons on the center console are really nice -- the Ioniq doesn't have those.

If you don't want black, white or grey, the Ioniq offers relatively subdued colors. The EV 6 has bright, bold colors, which I prefer.

It comes with the V2L adapter (but see below for the Ioniq's advantage). This is a $500 or $600 part.

Although I didn't try them myself, and am not 100% sure that the North American versions have this, the European spec EV 6s have levers in the cargo area that let you fold down the rear seats remotely instead of walking around to the rear doors. It's a nice touch, assuming our cars have this feature.

Ioniq 5 advantages:

It has an interior 120V V2L outlet. I don't think the EV 6 has one, or at least I didn't see it.

You are correct. Cargo bay has release handles for the rear seats!

·
Registered
36 Posts

And I was in love.

EV 6 advantages:

Ioniq 5 advantages:

EV6 does have the V2L in the back seat as well...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I echo a lot of what has been said by others. I actually ordered an Ioniq5 as I like the external looks. However, I was never happy with jnterior look i.e. the dash screens and the hard scratchy plastics on the doors. I also felt that you sit on the Ioniq5 rather than in it,
i much preferred the interior of the EV6 design and quality wise and how it drove. I have compromised on the spec of car, ordering the base Air because although I was going for the GT Line, I dont like the white and black interior and you cant specify an all black interior.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I echo a lot of what has been said by others. I actually ordered an Ioniq5 as I like the external looks. However, I was never happy with jnterior look i.e. the dash screens and the hard scratchy plastics on the doors. I also felt that you sit on the Ioniq5 rather than in it,
i much preferred the interior of the EV6 design and quality wise and how it drove. I have compromised on the spec of car, ordering the base Air because although I was going for the GT Line, I dont like the white and black interior and you cant specify an all black interior.
Well said and I completely agree.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For me the reason why I picked the EV6 was threefold initially

• Price of I5 more than EV6 for specs I wanted (safety and heatpump)
  • availability was much quicker for EV6
  • didn’t like the dash on the I5

Since I’ve also found that the heated seat controls in the I5 are controlled using the screen which would’ve put me right off! 🥲

·
Registered
183 Posts
I find the interior of the EV6 much better then the I5.
While driving you sit inside the car and the seats in the EV6 were superb and loved the air cooling in the seats.

The only miss in the EV6 above the I5 is the fact that you can shift the back seats back and forth. When loading lots of stuf in the back I would have liked the option to create more boot space.
On the other hand the comfort seats in the back with tilting back are great for longer journeys while sitting, relaxing in the rear...

The exterior I find the I5 lights very cool, but I do expect these to age more quickly. They feel super modern with a glimps to 80's. Kia EV6 is more traditional even with the unusual rear..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nope, exterior (and especially interior) styling is the only reason, for me. To me, the Ioniq 5 looks like an updated (and enlarged) 80's Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon (Talbot Horizon). I just can't un-see that.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line AWD in Yacht Blue, UK '22' plate
46 Posts
I had a few things that swung my thinking one way or the other, but the clincher for me was the EV6's fully-vegan interior. That made it a choice between EV6, Tesla and Polestar, and the EV6 won hands down... 🐮

·
Registered
502 Posts
Similar reasoning may explain why more folks went with the Telluride vs. Palisade--where I live I've seen more Tellurides than Palisades on the roads. Actually I had been thinking about buying a Telluride but once I saw the dealer markups and long waits for ordering one in the trim I desired I changed my mind...and then the EV6 came long. Don't have one yet as it's still sitting in Port Hueneme (Ventura CA) as of 2/23.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I test drove both (and the Enyaq and Q4), and now have a month old EV6. Here's the main reasons why..

• Ioniq 5 ride was too spongey for me. EV6 felt much tighter in the bends and generally handled better.
  • I couldn't get comfy in the Ioniq seats
  • Interior: EV6 looked much smarter IMO. Also considering the price the Ioniq switchgear looked cheap and plasticky
  • 7 yr vs 5 yr warranty
  • After so much hype I came away from the Ioniq 5 test drive with a sense of dissapointment (same with Enyaq/Q4). On the other hand after just 10 mins in the EV6 I said to myself "I'm getting this car".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts