Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD +Tech pkg
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days ago, upon starting my EV6 (was at about 5.6k miles), I noticed the audio from the radio was suddenly much poorer that usual. It sounded like several speakers (not just subwoofer) were completely missing, regardless of volume or EQ setting. Same problem with all media sources (AM, FM, BT, satellite). As I drove I then noticed that the lane departure audible alarm was missing. The visual alert was fine, and the media audio would drop normally (for a few moments as it is supposed to when an alert or alarm plays). The collision audio alert was fine.

So I did the paperclip reboot of the head unit. And removed the four fuses that reference the head unit/media. Fuses were intact. And the rebooting had no effect. Problem remains continuous now four days.

This morning took it to dealer, who confirmed the problem and believes it is the amplifier module. But they are waiting for a conversation with Kia's dealer service tech line (which I believe is in Irvine, California along with US corporate HQ and therefore just waking up). Dealer service tech did say they've seen this problem, at similar mileage, in three other cases. Also I've seen reports of this, again at similar mileage, in the EV6 Reddit forum.

I'll update you on the progress.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replacement amp shipped, dealer expects it Wednesday or Thursday. Says Kia says there were four in stock nationally (now three). I hope Meridian gets this figured out and shipping before my replacement amp fails. Or, maybe, the current inventory has the failure problem fixed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Replacement amp shipped, dealer expects it Wednesday or Thursday. Says Kia says there were four in stock nationally (now three). I hope Meridian gets this figured out and shipping before my replacement amp fails. Or, maybe, the current inventory has the failure problem fixed.
Great to hear. Hopefully they'll order and stock up more of them!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Replacement amp arrived at dealer, having it installed tomorrow along with updates:

Service action: DATC Logic improvement (#SA495)

Safety Recall : Shifter Control Unit SW Update (#SC236) [the fix for the recent recall]

I'll let you know if amp replacement fixes this issue.

·
Premium Member
Yacht Blue GT-Line AWD
202 Posts
I'll most likely need to do the same fix... just had the same thing happened to my audio system, although I don't think lane departure was affected. I've always been a huge proponent of the sound system, but now it sounds like audio coming through a tin can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its happening to mine as well. GT-Line RWD, delivered Feb 11, 3900 miles.

Came out from work tonight and new issue--the speaker by drivers ear every 30 seconds had static at full volume. Now and then the front right pax speaker would have static. Very loud and trying to drive was a PITA...talk about distraction.

Calling dealer tomorrow to get her all fixed and updated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My EV6 back from the dealer. Replacing the "external amplifier" fixed the problem. Unfortunately I didn't think in time to ask the technician if the markings on the replacement amp indicated a newer revision or version when compared to the old amp (you know, something like a "Rev. 2" sticker). The work was fairly quick, so maybe it's under the hood/frunk for me to peek. Anyone know where the external amp is located?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my car to dealer yesterday for this issue and recall. Recall done, and they confirmed amp went bad. New one on order and will fix later.

The service manager and I joked the audio sounds like our AM radios in our late 60's muscle cars. ;-)

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind eAWD w/ Technology Package in Interstellar Grey
20 Posts
So a few days ago, upon starting my EV6 (was at about 5.6k miles), I noticed the audio from the radio was suddenly much poorer that usual. It sounded like several speakers (not just subwoofer) were completely missing, regardless of volume or EQ setting. Same problem with all media sources (AM, FM, BT, satellite). As I drove I then noticed that the lane departure audible alarm was missing. The visual alert was fine, and the media audio would drop normally (for a few moments as it is supposed to when an alert or alarm plays). The collision audio alert was fine.

So I did the paperclip reboot of the head unit. And removed the four fuses that reference the head unit/media. Fuses were intact. And the rebooting had no effect. Problem remains continuous now four days.

This morning took it to dealer, who confirmed the problem and believes it is the amplifier module. But they are waiting for a conversation with Kia's dealer service tech line (which I believe is in Irvine, California along with US corporate HQ and therefore just waking up). Dealer service tech did say they've seen this problem, at similar mileage, in three other cases. Also I've seen reports of this, again at similar mileage, in the EV6 Reddit forum.

This just happen to me yesterday. Had the car for 4 months and just hit 10k miles. Drove to work just fine, but when I left I noticed the volume was lower than normal. Played with the controls and found that there is no sound coming from the two speakers in the front doors. I did the reset, but haven't checked the fuses. (don't know where to look for them). I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that there are still amps in stock 🤞

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me yesterday morning driving to work. Radio was just fine, and then suddenly low volume. If I hit the “Radio” button and cycle through AM, then XM, and then back to the radio, the volume will increase back to normal for a couple of seconds and then drop to low volume. Has anyone else had success with getting the amplifier replaced?

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind eAWD w/ Technology Package in Interstellar Grey
20 Posts
This just happen to me yesterday. Had the car for 4 months and just hit 10k miles. Drove to work just fine, but when I left I noticed the volume was lower than normal. Played with the controls and found that there is no sound coming from the two speakers in the front doors. I did the reset, but haven't checked the fuses. (don't know where to look for them). I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that there are still amps in stock 🤞
So I'm no longer worried about my amp. The dealer damaged a cable to the HV Battery and now I don't have my car :mad::mad::mad::mad:. They provided me a replacement, but sorry a 2022 Nissan Sentra is no where near the EV6. I hate it, I feel so depressed :sick: every time I press the accelerator. Today, I had to go to a gas station for the first time in four months. I didn't realize how bad the smell is. And to top off this :poop: 🥪 , they have no idea when the replacement part will be available could be "weeks or months".

• Sad
Reactions: Ucinn

·
Registered
1 Posts

Same with my EV6 About 5.8k miles. Front door speakers are completely out now. System sounds like audio from a tin can. Front door speakers have a popping/crackling noise when you open the front door. Took it to the dealer on Thursday of last week. They opened a case number with KIA Tech......... Do you have any update on what they decided was the issue and what their fix was?

Yesterday, the AC quit working. Blowing nothing........back to the dealer today. Had to leave it with them.

...and just saw that the window tint on both front doors is peeling from the edge......WHAT IS GOING ON?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ugh! Reading this feed is super discouraging. My speakers started having this same problem almost a week ago. My EV6 just hit 10k miles. Sounds like I’m going to have to call the dealership. ☹

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine started at about 6,500 miles a couple of weeks ago. I took it to one of the worst Kia dealers on the planet (Rally Kia, Palmdale, CA) for that and the recalls. It sat on their lot for three days and was not moved from the time it arrived there. They said even though I had set an appointment 9 days prior that they are a "production facility" and have not got to it yet. I don't know what the hell a production facility is supposed to be but they sure as hell did not produce any damn results in three days. I picked up my car yesterday after speaking to the service manager. He promised me that I can bring it back in on the 11th and they will look at it same day. What the hell happened to the days where you made an appointment, take your vehicle on scheduled appointment day and they would call you back in a few hours to let you know what they found? While I absolutely lover this car, if Kia cannot step up their game in this respect, I will make my next car purchase from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer got my replacement amp in about 1 month. Had to wait over 2 weeks for a service appointment, which is this Friday.

My concern now is speaker damage. When the amp was going out it overloaded the speaker volume with popping and hiss and loud banging. I had to pull off the road twice on the way home when it started, to shutoff the car and hope if solve the problem. Nada.

Will report back on Friday after repair

·
Registered
EV6 plus RWD
1 Posts
Same problem here, Europe, Netherlands. For my EV6 it started yesterday July 6. Suddenly the speakers in the door on the right randomly making clicking noise. Even when I put everything off.
I got my EV6 in February; ca 8000 km now. I will call the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My audio started sounding like I'm listening to a cheap set of headphones from across the room. 13505 miles.

Edit: Dealer applied the update, tested, and it still sounds muffled in the front speakers. They ordered a new amp. Two week wait they say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, found this thread searching for the problem on my car. Had the same issue, mine is a Dynamic Plus with 6200km, basically all safety sounds stopped working and radio sounds like crap. Music from Android auto, you need to put the volume really high to hear anything and the quality is very poor. The odd thing is that sometimes when I turn on the car, when I was previously hearing radio, the sound returns to a good quality for a few seconds, goes mute, then craps again. I tried the head unit reset, tried removing and putting back all fuses (all of them ok) but nothing works. Dealer also agrees that it's the amp. When I brought it in I gave them my input and they spilled the beans: 3 other EV6 with the same problem, and the amps are on back order. They told me to expect at least 2 months until the amp is here... I'm based in the Netherlands.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts