Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve sort of asked this question elsewhere but I thought it needs specifically asking as I’ve not got to the bottom of it yet.
So, you’re driving along with the white screen on and you go under a bridge (or it’s starting to get dark) and you’d expect the screens to go into dark / black mode and the lights to come on. But after driving 3 EV6s we’ve not been able to replicate this even when we put a dark cloth over what appears to be a light sensor on the dash. We’ve rummaged around in the car’s settings to ensure we’ve not missed a button to auto dim the screens.
Can anyone who has their EV6 now confirm the screens automatically change from white to black (or vice versa) depending on the light conditions?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m guess that the lack of an answer, but over 100 views, means it may not be replicated. Kia UK are struggling too - bizarrely - to answer a straightforward question.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I’ve just heard back from Kia and the screens seemingly don’t automatically change from white to black or vice versa depending on the ambient light conditions. It’s either white or black, which you change manually, or set to change based on a time you set. So, if you’re using white screens and you drive under a bridge or tunnel, etc. they’ll stay white. Ditto, when the light is fading they stay white until you manually change them. Very strange especially given there’s what appears a light sensor on the dash near the windscreen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder why KIA would remove such a usable feature:unsure: My old KIA Cee'd from 2013 does just that, dimming when entering a tunnel and when the ambient light reaches a certain threshold.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the light sensor to automatically adjust brightness perhaps? I agree that a "night mode" that flips from light/white to dark mode is logical and has been widely available on many cars for some time now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder why KIA would remove such a usable feature:unsure: My old KIA Cee'd from 2013 does just that, dimming when entering a tunnel and when the ambient light reaches a certain threshold.
Until the EV6 I wasn’t aware of any car that didn’t go into dark mode with failing light or under a bridge, etc.
With this in mind - I’m out.
Is the light sensor to automatically adjust brightness perhaps? I agree that a "night mode" that flips from light/white to dark mode is logical and has been widely available on many cars for some time now.
I think you’re probably right regarding the light sensor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ve sort of asked this question elsewhere but I thought it needs specifically asking as I’ve not got to the bottom of it yet.
So, you’re driving along with the white screen on and you go under a bridge (or it’s starting to get dark) and you’d expect the screens to go into dark / black mode and the lights to come on. But after driving 3 EV6s we’ve not been able to replicate this even when we put a dark cloth over what appears to be a light sensor on the dash. We’ve rummaged around in the car’s settings to ensure we’ve not missed a button to auto dim the screens.
Can anyone who has their EV6 now confirm the screens automatically change from white to black (or vice versa) depending on the light conditions?
I don't believe any internal sensor would control the satnav screen. I believe my BMW satnav dims when it gets dark or when entering a tunnel because the headlights come on automatically. Therefore, it seems logical that whatever light sensor controls the headlights controls the satnav. You were covering the wrong sensor ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't believe any internal sensor would control the satnav screen. I believe my BMW satnav dims when it gets dark or when entering a tunnel because the headlights come on automatically. Therefore, it seems logical that whatever light sensor controls the headlights controls the satnav. You were covering the wrong sensor ;)
Strange, as when I cover the light sensor on my cars both go into dark mode and the lights come on. This is how it’s been for numerous Japanese cars I’ve owned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could someone do me a favour with their EV6? Would you mind putting the screens into the white theme and seeing whether they automatically dim down sufficiently to allow the car to be driven at night. That would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
309 Posts
That light sensor will DIM the brightness of the screens and buttons automatically but will NOT change the color theme that you have manually chosen in the system settings. You can override the auto dimming feature by adjusting your dash brightness to MAX.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That light sensor will DIM the brightness of the screens and buttons automatically but will NOT change the color theme that you have manually chosen in the system settings. You can override the auto dimming feature by adjusting your dash brightness to MAX.
[/QUOTE
Thanks. So it stays in bright mode even at night if the dash brightness is set to max? Wonder if you change the brightness via the speak button? Highly unlikely, I know.
Now to find a pic of white theme at night.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Until the EV6 I wasn’t aware of any car that didn’t go into dark mode with failing light or under a bridge, etc.
With this in mind - I’m out.

I think you’re probably right regarding the light sensor.
My 2014 Chevrolet flips to night mode based on the light sensor on the dash, as does my 2017 Infiniti (map only - the other screens are already dark and I've never checked whether I can make them light. :)

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
309 Posts
Thanks. So it stays in bright mode even at night if the dash brightness is set to max? Wonder if you change the brightness via the speak button? Highly unlikely, I know.
Now to find a pic of white theme at night.
That is correct. Max will not adjust brightness.

my 2021 Kia Forte changes from light to dark automatically, even going under a shaded underpass. And its the bare FE trim.
Your Forte isn't changing the color theme, only dimming in darker lighting. If you are using ACP/AA, it will changed the color of the map app but that is from your phone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Your Forte isn't changing the color theme, only dimming in darker lighting. If you are using ACP/AA, it will changed the color of the map app but that is from your phone.
Thats probably the case as I always have it on ACP. But I know when I had my 2020 Santa Fe limited, even the factory navigation changed to dark mode at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts