Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of our wind AWD and are still discovering all the features!

Wonder if the KIA engineers will include the door locks to auto unlock/lock in an over the air update. (Like the welcome dance the mirrors do).

I know pressing the door handle will unlock the door but the pressure required is pretty intense.

· Registered
32 Posts
I think it's doing the auto lock after been away from the car. It seems like a new feature added in Nov-Dec Software Update. However it takes about 20-30s for it to lock and I am not sure to its consistency. I never seen an official announcement of this feature.

· Registered
2,073 Posts
I think it's doing the auto lock after been away from the car. It seems like a new feature added in Nov-Dec Software Update. However it takes about 20-30s for it to lock and I am not sure to its consistency. I never seen an official announcement of this feature.
This is after you turn off the car? Not to be confused with the auto-lock function already in place if you unlock the car but do not open any doors?

· Registered
32 Posts
This is after you turn off the car? Not to be confused with the auto-lock function already in place if you unlock the car but do not open any doors?
Yes, it's after you turn off the car. I didn't get your point of "auto-lock function already in place", it happens both when unlock the car but do not open any doors, and also leave the car without locking with key fob.

· Registered
2,073 Posts
Yes, it's after you turn off the car. I didn't get your point of "auto-lock function already in place", it happens both when unlock the car but do not open any doors, and also leave the car without locking with key fob.
Oh I meant it already auto-locks but that's only if you unlock the car and do not open any door. In some of the earlier threads, people thought this was the auto-walk-away-lock or walk-away auto lock but it really isn't. It's the same auto lock that most cars with power door locks have had for decades.

I'm just making the distinction, that's all.

· Registered
228 Posts
Wondering if this is the expected unlock behavior.
Driver side door.
  • Pressing once unlocks driver door only (or does it also unlock passenger?)
  • Once unlocked, opening driver door does not unlock all doors
  • Pressing twice unlocks all doors
Passenger door
  • Pressing once unlocks passenger (and Driver?) door
  • Once unlocked, opening passenger door unlocks all doors
  • Cannot press twice to unlock all doors

· Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
771 Posts
Driver side door.
Passenger door
This seems to be the expected behavior Mazda has a very similar setup and for me is very familiar. Driver side pressing once only unlocks driver door.

· Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
771 Posts
Lol my last car was mazda cx5, but what I really want is what Accord like, unlock while approaching and lock once been away for a certain distance
You might need to buy the top trim for such luxurious feature :)

I still have Mazda 6 and my wife drives a CX-5.

Not long ago Mazda made exciting Sky Active cars, with great transmissions and naturally aspirated engines with plenty of torque even at low RPM.
10 years later I don't see anything on their lineup that looks exciting, other than Miata but I can't fit in that car and is not practical enough as a family car.

They spent years to develop a diesel engine they cannot even sell in the US and there are rumors are still working on a rotary engine. I don't have brand loyalty, this time Kia feels more exciting, in 10 years who knows? Maybe there will be flying cars.

· Registered
917 Posts
wind AWD
Wonder if the KIA engineers will include the door locks to auto unlock/lock in an over the air update. (Like the welcome dance the mirrors do).
No, definitely not, as this is explicitly a price differentiation between the Wind and the GTL. GTL gets auto-unlock on approach. Wind has the same hardware, but is configured not to unlock, simply to make you pay more money. Annoying, but true and also common.

Shark Racing resells a module from overseas for most of the Kia/Hyundai product line that attaches to the CAN bus in the car and listens for the message that unfolds the mirrors, then sends the message to unlock the doors. A clever hack since the mirrors unfold even on the down-spec car, and can only do so if the authorized key is in proximity. The module also auto-locks the car when you turn it off, but it's dumb: it does it on a timeout, not seeing the key disappear from range, so if you leave the key in the car the module can lock you out. Pros and cons.

Shark's module doesn't say that it's EV6-compatible, but one driver bought an identical looking module from Korea that totally is. It's unclear if the Shark Racing module is actually compatible and just doesn't say so, or if the two have different firmware. Ev6 Auto door Lock Module : KiaEV6 (reddit.com)

Driver side door.
Passenger door
Pressing once vs pressing twice is a configuration option in the infotainment menus. Check the manual for that one. I have mine set to unlock all doors on the first unlock, but staged (drivers then all as you describe) is the default.

The only circumstance under which the car auto-locks is if you've unlocked with the fob or proximity (for GTL cars), then haven't opened a door for some time, or haven't opened a door and walk away. That way you can walk past your car and it'll temporarily unlock, but then lock itself again.

Unless there's been a change in newer cars, none auto-lock on walk-away, and I'm very curious what's going on with @shin shin 's car that they think it is. Are you SURE it locks after you've opened the door, and isn't just auto-locking after no interaction since the unlock? I'd be thrilled if that WAS a change in the latest software (which I don't have), but I don't believe that's possible, as the infotainment system doesn't manage access control and it's not possible for the infotainment update to update that module's firmware.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts