Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this warning in the Heat knop:
  • When the Auto Defogging System is operating, the fan speed adjustment knob, the temperature adjustment knob, and the air intake control button are all disabled.
HEat knop explanation:
  • Press the heat button. The indicator illuminates when the heat function is ON.
  • The air conditioner and heater uses energy from the battery. If you use the heater or air conditioner for too long, distance to empty can be reduced due to too much power consumption.
When I looked at the auto Defogging it looks like it is enabled by default. Did anyone try to disable it and check if this would impact the heating behavior of the car?

Auto Defogging enable/disable:

Font Screenshot Brand Logo Multimedia

Registered
I love how they differentiate between operation in Europe and non-Europe. They're exactly the same, just listed in a different order. 馃槀 This isn't the first time I've seen this in this manual.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could the in the EU setting there is small delay in the fans kicking in as it first redirects the airflow before it inceases the fan speed.
It is odd they have different SW (behavior) in Europe then the rest of the world.. I would expect that its more efficient to have no seperation or as minimal as possible...

It could also be that the Europe version is an early version and Non-Europe is the newer better version which will be in the end in all cars.
In several European countries there are a lot of advantages to get the car in 2021 due to tax reductions which will not be in place anymore in 2022...

The odd part is that it states that AC is turned on and fan is increased but there is no HEAT enabled. And when defogging is activated it will not allow user to change the temp in the car.
Meaning when this is active could it impact the internal climate??

Registered
The odd part is that it states that AC is turned on and fan is increased but there is no HEAT enabled. And when defogging is activated it will not allow user to change the temp in the car.
Meaning when this is active could it impact the internal climate??
It's not completely surprising. It's become apparent through some of the quirks of this car that they have really tried to avoid doing anything that consumes more energy than necessary (not wanting to pre-heat the battery, trying to charge the 12v battery with just regen, etc.). It's clear from the Ioniq 5 heat pump video that this system uses a hot gas reheat coil to facilitate dehumidification. That is the smaller coil in the cabin that it shows the refrigerant going through after leaving the compressor. The larger coil upstream is going to be the main evaporator. Air goes through the evaporator, is cooled, and therefore moisture is condensed out of the air, then re-heated back up to "neutral" temps which drives the relative humidity down, helping to defog the interior windows. A HGRH system is somewhat constrained... it can't add much more heat into the air than it first takes out in the cooling process, unlike an ICE vehicle that has nearly unlimited free heat available from the engine. They presumably could supplement with the PTC heater (they don't show where that is in the system to know for sure), but again they've shown to be pretty stingy with energy. Since Auto Defogging is "auto", perhaps the intention is for it to simply cycle on this mode when cabin humidity is high (or whatever they use to sense fogging), then cycle it back off once humidity is lowered, returning to normal heating/cooling operation. Maybe they consider those cycles short enough for periodic loss of full heating to not be an issue. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I had a go at disabling auto fogging for the preheat issue and it made no difference.

I will try it for heating while driving of which I am also having issues to see if it helps any and report back.

Registered
I鈥檝e definitely found that the heating works until the defog kicks in
That could be the case but I tried driving without the auto fogging and had to stop and change it back. Unworkable as spent more time playing with climate control buttons than on driving!

One way to see how good the auto Defog works is to try driving without it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts