Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are people finding the automatic parking on the ev6?

The dealer 'demonstrated' it to me and I wasn't too impressed... It went back and forward a lot and ended up over the line to the bay. In fairness, there was only a car on one side of the bay, so wondering if this was what upset it.

Also, when he showed me the drive via key thing, it wouldn't then go into drive! He had to get out, lock and unlock the car, then have another go.

Wasn't a very successful demo!

I asked about motorway driving and was told it can change lane if I indicate, but from its attempt at parking I wouldn't be very confident giving it control at speed!

I've never had a car with automatic parking or steering so not sure how it compares to other cars. Anyone have more experience and can comment?

·
Registered
11 Posts
How are people finding the automatic parking on the ev6?

The dealer 'demonstrated' it to me and I wasn't too impressed... It went back and forward a lot and ended up over the line to the bay. In fairness, there was only a car on one side of the bay, so wondering if this was what upset it.

Also, when he showed me the drive via key thing, it wouldn't then go into drive! He had to get out, lock and unlock the car, then have another go.

Wasn't a very successful demo!

I asked about motorway driving and was told it can change lane if I indicate, but from its attempt at parking I wouldn't be very confident giving it control at speed!

I've never had a car with automatic parking or steering so not sure how it compares to other cars. Anyone have more experience and can comment?
Similar I was shown the car reversing and going forward straight. It doesn't steer into the space, so not impressed.

·
Registered
FE Glacier 1500/1500
104 Posts
I’ve used the automated perpendicular parking in a parking lot and the car did perfectly when it found a space beside another car.

When the car identified a parking lot divider (small cement island) between sets of spaces it tried but seemed to have difficulty…maybe due to the height of the island versus the height of what a car would be.

i haven’t tried automated parallel parking yet.

the back/forth I have used multiple times, just like with my 2020 Sonata that had the feature. People just come in and park too close :oops: and I can easily move the car to be able to get in safely…PLUS check and see if that car happened to dent mine getting so close.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Gadget Font

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tested the lane change function on the motorway, and it worked without any problems. It wanted more distance to any cars in the lane before starting to change the lane than I would have needed - so in my opinion it is pretty safe! :p

But as always - it is you as the driver that is responsible for the safety...

·
Registered
Matte Gray EV6, Nissan Leaf (2013)
239 Posts
I tested the lane change function on the motorway, and it worked without any problems. It wanted more distance to any cars in the lane before starting to change the lane than I would have needed - so in my opinion it is pretty safe! :p

Same for me. You will need to keep hands on wheel anyway. Felt safe but not a lot of value added for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Am I wrong in that the lane change just seems gimmicky? Like if I need to have my hands on the wheel then why can't I just change lanes myself.. ya know? A lot of the parking stuff feels a bit gimmicky too, I guess

·
Registered
24 Posts
Am I wrong in that the lane change just seems gimmicky? Like if I need to have my hands on the wheel then why can't I just change lanes myself.. ya know? A lot of the parking stuff feels a bit gimmicky too, I guess
You’re wrong :)

I use the lane change all of the time and it is wonderful. I love the fact that it takes into account cars rapidly approaching both from behind and slowing from the front. It’s safer and more convenient. I love it. I won’t buy another car without auto lane change.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line (Urban Yellow, 1st Ed, 881/1000)
158 Posts
My wife and I went out to a parking lot to play with the automatic parking assist (perpendicular). I got it to successfully back in once, but on both of her attempts she was too concerned about hitting the vehicle on either side and would cancel. It did seem like the EV6 would go back and forth a lot trying to get lined up. One time it picked a spot with a low island on one side and ended up hitting the curb with the rear tire. I guess it was too low for the radar to pick it up.

We also used the remote operation with the key fob to back the EV6 out of the garage. This seems to work fine since in reverse it doesn't touch the wheel, just backs out straight. When we tried to remote it forward into the garage, it started steering to get centered between the cabinets on one side and my car on the other so ended up too close to my car. We typically pull in very close to the cabinets on the passenger side (the passenger gets out before we enter the garage). But I guess we can't use remote operation to do this since it won't go straight when going forward, it will steer.

Still, it's kinda freaky watching the wheel move by itself.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line (Urban Yellow, 1st Ed, 881/1000)
158 Posts
Tested the parallel parking on the street in front of our house today (using my car and the neighbor's car on either side). Worked pretty well both from inside and outside the car. It still makes my wife really nervous how close it gets to the other vehicles so I don't see her using this very often. I think it was pretty cool watching an empty car park itself.

Remote operation is also turning out not to be a great solution for backing the car out of the garage. Because we have to hug those cabinets closely on the passenger side, the car will just stop going backward because the passenger rear sensor just keeps beeping because it's so close to the wall. Oh well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tested the parallel parking on the street in front of our house today (using my car and the neighbor's car on either side). Worked pretty well both from inside and outside the car. It still makes my wife really nervous how close it gets to the other vehicles so I don't see her using this very often. I think it was pretty cool watching an empty car park itself.

Remote operation is also turning out not to be a great solution for backing the car out of the garage. Because we have to hug those cabinets closely on the passenger side, the car will just stop going backward because the passenger rear sensor just keeps beeping because it's so close to the wall. Oh well.
I have the same issue. My carport is very tight and my car refuses to back out. Kindoff defeats the purpose of this function.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts