Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not likely unless entire batch is done with issues that are not found by QA . And from some examples on the road i have seen over 20k miles so far. This are isolated cases that where investigated and it will be addressed in time.
So keep driving and if this issue arises bring it in and start a ticket?

Couple quick bonus Q's (feel free to disregard since these are off topic): why were EV6/I5 not designed to include bigger frunks?

Why does it seem that the interior plastic (specifically driver door panel surrounding window controls) is especially fragile? Mine has a nick and a few scuffs and I've barely touched it.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Tech package
76 Posts
Now let's open can of worms ?
Questions please.
Design seems to be fine. What I noticed is that axle disconnect is turned off during sport mode. My question is if I run sport mode as my main drive mode is that going to have impact on wearing of components? Is this disconnect just there to help with energy efficiency? What is the point of the system?

·
Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now let's open can of worms ?
Questions please.
Here's a can of worms for you: As been reported in other threads (here and on the Hyundai IONIQ forum) that there is a possible defect in the disconnect mechanism which is causing a whirring/grinding sound from the front drive unit. Speculation is that some part is out of tolerance which is causing the GRU to not be fully disconnected. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm sounds like a recall somewhere.
If that diconnects or connects traction inconsistently whilst a car is being driven around a bend in a spirited fashion then you're potentially going backwards into the wall/tree/ditch.

Ahh back to the days of the Peugot 205 1.9 GTI and early BMWs

·
Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm sounds like a recall somewhere.
If that diconnects or connects traction inconsistently whilst a car is being driven around a bend in a spirited fashion then you're potentially going backwards into the wall/tree/ditch.
From what I can tell, only one side of the GRU is engaged which is causing the internal differential to spin. I don't think there is any inherent danger, but that crosses deeper into the realm of speculation rather quickly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I can tell, only one side of the GRU is engaged which is causing the internal differential to spin. I don't think there is any inherent danger, but that crosses deeper into the realm of speculation rather quickly.
Which is potentially a good thing.
However a shift in drive in a corner can unsettle a car very quickly and recalls have been done for far less. Hence if there is even a small chance, the a recall should happen. Even if it’s just an inspect and replace if necessary bar a particular batch type thing.

I hope I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t want front/rear wheels changing drive in a similar situation as used to upset the 205 etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I noticed is that axle disconnect is turned off during sport mode. My question is if I run sport mode as my main drive mode is that going to have impact on wearing of components? Is this disconnect just there to help with energy efficiency? What is the point of the system?
It should wear slower, normal mode is actually what should wear it the fastest since it does a lot of connecting and disconnecting. (though it should be designed to do that and last most if not all of the car's life) Yes, the purpose is for efficiency, get the best of AWD while not sacrificing (as much) on efficiency.
Couple quick bonus Q's (feel free to disregard since these are off topic): why were EV6/I5 not designed to include bigger frunks?
While some automakers choose to keep the traditional long hood profile of ICE cars and add a frunk for extra storage practicality, others are opting to shorted the hood and add that length into the cabin and rear cargo. Hyundai group didn't really give us that space in the cargo, but they did in rear legroom. It's just a matter of which approach the manufacturer went with. The interesting thing is they gave us that small box at all but it has some use honestly like fitting a 12v jumper pack in there.

Then there is BMW who gives you a long hood and no frunk...because some companies are assholes.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Tech package
76 Posts
It should wear slower, normal mode is actually what should wear it the fastest since it does a lot of connecting and disconnecting. (though it should be designed to do that and last most if not all of the car's life) Yes, the purpose is for efficiency, get the best of AWD while not sacrificing (as much) on efficiency.

While some automakers choose to keep the traditional long hood profile of ICE cars and add a frunk for extra storage practicality, others are opting to shorted the hood and add that length into the cabin and rear cargo. Hyundai group didn't really give us that space in the cargo, but they did in rear legroom. It's just a matter of which approach the manufacturer went with. The interesting thing is they gave us that small box at all but it has some use honestly like fitting a 12v jumper pack in there.

Then there is BMW who gives you a long hood and no frunk...because some companies are assholes.
thanks, but what is the purpose of an axle disconnect vs differential disconnect? Does the car have limited slip?

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanks, but what is the purpose of an axle disconnect vs differential disconnect? Does the car have limited slip?
I imagine (but could be wrong) that it's like proper old school quatro AWD vs haldex quatro AWD.
Things are disconnected when not needed to reduce mechanical drag etc and save fuel/power.

At a guess I would think the front motor is disconnected when not needed to reduce the effect of the motor dragging on the front axle and as such increasing the efficiency (reducing power use) to go a certain distance.
Essentially with a disconnect and AWD not using AWD should be very similar to a RWD.

·
Registered
FE Glacier #683
95 Posts
Here's a can of worms for you: As been reported in other threads (here and on the Hyundai IONIQ forum) that there is a possible defect in the disconnect mechanism which is causing a whirring/grinding sound from the front drive unit. Speculation is that some part is out of tolerance which is causing the GRU to not be fully disconnected. What are your thoughts on this?
Tom, the EV tech at the dealer, believes the shaft is too long and is unable to completely disengage from the disconnect. He did tell me that the mechanical design of the disconnect is very similar to the syncro design of a manual transmission and because of that design will have a very long life, assuming the shaft is correct!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tom, the EV tech at the dealer, believes the shaft is too long and is unable to completely disengage from the disconnect. He did tell me that the mechanical design of the disconnect is very similar to the syncro design of a manual transmission and because of that design will have a very long life, assuming the shaft is correct!
So does he think this is the case for all AWD models and, if so, does this mean it's got recall potential?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts