1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now let's open can of worms ?
Questions please.
Here's a can of worms for you: As been reported in other threads (here and on the Hyundai IONIQ forum) that there is a possible defect in the disconnect mechanism which is causing a whirring/grinding sound from the front drive unit. Speculation is that some part is out of tolerance which is causing the GRU to not be fully disconnected. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm sounds like a recall somewhere.
If that diconnects or connects traction inconsistently whilst a car is being driven around a bend in a spirited fashion then you're potentially going backwards into the wall/tree/ditch.
From what I can tell, only one side of the GRU is engaged which is causing the internal differential to spin. I don't think there is any inherent danger, but that crosses deeper into the realm of speculation rather quickly.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No technician is allowed to dig inside of front propulsion unit yet. So let's not make big horror stories about this. Kia engineering is collecting them and giving as new assembly to replace if this needs attention. So they do teardown and investigation. There are EV6 vehicle's with over 20k miles without any issues with front propulsion units. This could be just low % of units that have failed so far. This are common issues with every other EV manufacturers. If and when there is need for recall it will be taken care of by Kia.
So enjoy your time and vehicle.
I'm not at all suggesting that a tech at the dealer start digging into my car. But the lack of willingness to listen and properly document what I've reported has been disappointing. I provided a lot of details, including recordings of the noise. The tech at my dealer also made recordings. I gotta be honest, it feels like cover up and dismiss to me. But, we're about to go for round 2. So we'll see.

Also, don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying my $54,000 car. It's a blast. No drivability issues.

And I'd still like to know what you think about this issue from a technical perspective.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for your feedback. So you agree that this noise is real and the front propulsion unit isn't supposed to make it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts