Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm sounds like a recall somewhere.
If that diconnects or connects traction inconsistently whilst a car is being driven around a bend in a spirited fashion then you're potentially going backwards into the wall/tree/ditch.

Ahh back to the days of the Peugot 205 1.9 GTI and early BMWs

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I can tell, only one side of the GRU is engaged which is causing the internal differential to spin. I don't think there is any inherent danger, but that crosses deeper into the realm of speculation rather quickly.
Which is potentially a good thing.
However a shift in drive in a corner can unsettle a car very quickly and recalls have been done for far less. Hence if there is even a small chance, the a recall should happen. Even if it’s just an inspect and replace if necessary bar a particular batch type thing.

I hope I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t want front/rear wheels changing drive in a similar situation as used to upset the 205 etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanks, but what is the purpose of an axle disconnect vs differential disconnect? Does the car have limited slip?
I imagine (but could be wrong) that it's like proper old school quatro AWD vs haldex quatro AWD.
Things are disconnected when not needed to reduce mechanical drag etc and save fuel/power.

At a guess I would think the front motor is disconnected when not needed to reduce the effect of the motor dragging on the front axle and as such increasing the efficiency (reducing power use) to go a certain distance.
Essentially with a disconnect and AWD not using AWD should be very similar to a RWD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts