Kia EV6 Forum banner
301 - 320 of 476 Posts

·
Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
437 Posts
I just received word that a Kia Engineer has been directed to come look at my car on Aug 1st. I believe they decided to send an engineer out because the mechanic here was able to record the noise from under the car while it was on a lift and "driving". So hopefully we will get some definitive news and fix on the problem.
The rep I spoke with at KIA consumer affairs gave me my tech line ticket (different number than the consumer ticket) when I asked. I would love to be able to provide that number and have them compare mine.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
How do you file these tickets/ get ticket numbers? Ask the service dept or call Kia directly? Would like to ensure I contribute to Kia’s awareness of the problem
I guess the service advisor should be able to provide the ticket number for any issue they open with the Tech line (although they might be unwilling or not see a reason to). After starting the process of my KIA service department troubleshooting my issue, KIA consumer affairs reached out to me directly to provide an update on my issue. At that point I also got an email with the ticket number for consumer affairs. I also asked them to give me the ticket number for my tech line issue. I hope that helps. Let me know if it's not clear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just received word that a Kia Engineer has been directed to come look at my car on Aug 1st. I believe they decided to send an engineer out because the mechanic here was able to record the noise from under the car while it was on a lift and "driving". So hopefully we will get some definitive news and fix on the problem.
A glimmer of hope!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The current list of folks with the issue:

1) bicyclechip (OP,issue reported to KIA)
2) NobodyInParticular
3) petraman
4) Ryaninpnet
5) elkkk
6) twcz3 (reported to KIA)
7) Robnobob (replaced GRU, still has the issue)
8) Biscuit112
9) MonkeyEV6
10) Adrien AZ (KIA offered buyback - posted on FB that the drive unit was replaced, no other updates)
11) Jcw
12) robby-d
13) Eranr (reported to KIA)
14) jogas (reported to KIA)
15) tbudai (reported to KIA)
16) Rockytj
17) pdebaum
18) MichiganEV6
19) jbrams_tank (reported to KIA)
20) Lisey
21) Phil Hyde (me)
add me

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a not so great update from my dealer today. The response is saying that the same noise was heard on the newly delivered car, and that what I'm hearing is the sound of the regenerative brake system motor when I-Pedal is on (which is completely backward from what I told them - numerous times). Paraphrased but, their words. I've asked to meet again and review the details of the complaint because I do not believe they documented it properly. Well, here we go again.
So I have the noise with ipedal on...

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: Whirring noise on AWD EV6's. I went in to the Colorado Springs Phil Long Kia and Kristen P is the service manager there. They are asking ANYONE who has this same noise to contact their office. Her direct number is: 719-575-7341

Right now they have over 20 EV6's with a whirring noise, and 4 are on their site. A KIA engineer is flying in from CA to evaluate since the guy who got his entire front drive replaced had the noise AGAIN 3 weeks later. They think this is going to be a recall for all AWD EV6s and the unlocking mechanism was built just a touch too long, so it never truly uncouples and thus has the whirring noise.
Here's how to test if you have it. Turn off your radio and AC and fake engine noises. Then put into ECO and level 2/3 regen. Then watch on the display for when it's JUST the back wheels going (fronts are not supplying energy).. Go about 30-40 mph. If you hear a buzzing/whirring noise that sounds mechanical, THAT is the issue. Test it by going to sport and the fronts will kick in and suddenly the noise disappears. Go back to Eco and the noise comes back immediately.

IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE.. Call them, even if you are out of state. They are becoming the hub of this issue and Tom the service tech knows immediately what to look for.
As for me, He said 'Yep, you got the issue!" I now have a ticket and when KIA figures out a true fix, I'm first in line (before a recall) to get taken care of.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
UPDATE: Whirring noise on AWD EV6's. I went in to the Colorado Springs Phil Long Kia and Kristen P is the service manager there. They are asking ANYONE who has this same noise to contact their office. Her direct number is: 719-575-7341

Right now they have over 20 EV6's with a whirring noise, and 4 are on their site. A KIA engineer is flying in from CA to evaluate since the guy who got his entire front drive replaced had the noise AGAIN 3 weeks later. They think this is going to be a recall for all AWD EV6s and the unlocking mechanism was built just a touch too long, so it never truly uncouples and thus has the whirring noise.
Here's how to test if you have it. Turn off your radio and AC and fake engine noises. Then put into ECO and level 2/3 regen. Then watch on the display for when it's JUST the back wheels going (fronts are not supplying energy).. Go about 30-40 mph. If you hear a buzzing/whirring noise that sounds mechanical, THAT is the issue. Test it by going to sport and the fronts will kick in and suddenly the noise disappears. Go back to Eco and the noise comes back immediately.

IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE.. Call them, even if you are out of state. They are becoming the hub of this issue and Tom the service tech knows immediately what to look for.
As for me, He said 'Yep, you got the issue!" I now have a ticket and when KIA figures out a true fix, I'm first in line (before a recall) to get taken care of.
This is pretty amazing news. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
They think this is going to be a recall for all AWD EV6s and the unlocking mechanism was built just a touch too long, so it never truly uncouples and thus has the whirring noise.
I re-read this and wanted to say that I'm hopeful that this can be fixed with a simple repair and does not require the whole drive unit to be replaced!
Here's how to test if you have it. Turn off your radio and AC and fake engine noises. Then put into ECO and level 2/3 regen. Then watch on the display for when it's JUST the back wheels going (fronts are not supplying energy).. Go about 30-40 mph. If you hear a buzzing/whirring noise that sounds mechanical, THAT is the issue.
There are several videos in this thread that capture the noise. I believe mine is the best but judge for yourself :cool:

·
Registered
FE Glacier #683
107 Posts

The Kia engineer will be there on 1 Aug. That is when they will be looking over my car to evaluate it since the replacement GRU didn't solve the issue. So the more who get scheduled the better!!

I can vouch for the fix not lasting as I'm the one who had it "repaired"!

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
The Kia engineer will be there on 1 Aug. That is when they will be looking over my car to evaluate it since the replacement GRU didn't solve the issue. So the more who get scheduled the better!!
I called Kristen earlier and left a message. I assume it was after her working hours, and I hope to hear tomorrow. I wish I was closer to Colorado!

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Runway Red
82 Posts

I am in CO Springs and definitely have the issue. Chatted with Rob about it in direct messages after his "fix". I will call Phil Long and ask for Kristen.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I spoke with Kristen today. Other than chatting about my own experience (she's very friendly) and giving her my VIN, there isn't much more that can be done right now until the engineer visits their dealership on Aug-2. I encourage people to contact her for the same or any questions you may have. Her email is on the card (from the previous post). [email protected].

Product Rectangle Font Line Material property

301 - 320 of 476 Posts