Kia EV6 Forum banner
321 - 340 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have any luck getting their car back from the dealer after taking it in? Left it there Tuesday and as far as I know it’s been sitting on the lot waiting for a response on a tech line for a couple different issues, was given a ride home but no rental or loaner and communication from the service department has been non-existent.

·
Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
437 Posts
Anyone have any luck getting their car back from the dealer after taking it in? Left it there Tuesday and as far as I know it’s been sitting on the lot waiting for a response on a tech line for a couple different issues, was given a ride home but no rental or loaner and communication from the service department has been non-existent.
I guess my question is, why did you just leave it? I specifically discussed with my service advisor about scheduling the drop off and pick up. Is something broken?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess my question is, why did you just leave it? I specifically discussed with my service advisor about scheduling the drop off and pick up. Is something broken?
To document the noise and for a question about behavior on the auto wipers, they’re not waiting on anything other than information at this point.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
13 Posts
UPDATE: Whirring noise on AWD EV6's. I went in to the Colorado Springs Phil Long Kia and Kristen P is the service manager there. They are asking ANYONE who has this same noise to contact their office. Her direct number is: 719-575-7341

Right now they have over 20 EV6's with a whirring noise, and 4 are on their site. A KIA engineer is flying in from CA to evaluate since the guy who got his entire front drive replaced had the noise AGAIN 3 weeks later. They think this is going to be a recall for all AWD EV6s and the unlocking mechanism was built just a touch too long, so it never truly uncouples and thus has the whirring noise.
Here's how to test if you have it. Turn off your radio and AC and fake engine noises. Then put into ECO and level 2/3 regen. Then watch on the display for when it's JUST the back wheels going (fronts are not supplying energy).. Go about 30-40 mph. If you hear a buzzing/whirring noise that sounds mechanical, THAT is the issue. Test it by going to sport and the fronts will kick in and suddenly the noise disappears. Go back to Eco and the noise comes back immediately.

IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE.. Call them, even if you are out of state. They are becoming the hub of this issue and Tom the service tech knows immediately what to look for.
As for me, He said 'Yep, you got the issue!" I now have a ticket and when KIA figures out a true fix, I'm first in line (before a recall) to get taken care of.
I guess they only want to hear from EV6 owners, right? I've had a hard time getting my Hyundai dealership to hear the noise. It's been too cold in Calgary and it only starts right before service closes at 5pm.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I guess they only want to hear from EV6 owners, right? I've had a hard time getting my Hyundai dealership to hear the noise. It's been too cold in Calgary and it only starts right before service closes at 5pm.
You are probably right. I had not really thought about what happens when a technical issue crosses brands with a common platform. Hyundai will most likely have to be responsible for driving a resolution.

I stopped in to talk to my dealer on Friday. Despite the fact that consumer affairs had told me I would hear "soon", the dealer seemed a little confused that I stopped in asking for an update. I told him about the planned engineer visit in Colorado. He said that no matter what happens there, any resolution will still have to go to engineering and then "trickle down" to dealers if there is a fix. He told me that because dealers are all franchises, that they don't usually collaborate - so the tech and my dealer would not call the tech at Phil Long in Colorado to discuss the issue. I don't know if what he said is true or if he was just trying to get me to leave. I decided that I would wait until we hear the outcome this week and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
UPDATE: Whirring noise on AWD EV6's. I went in to the Colorado Springs Phil Long Kia and Kristen P is the service manager there. They are asking ANYONE who has this same noise to contact their office. Her direct number is: 719-575-7341

Right now they have over 20 EV6's with a whirring noise, and 4 are on their site. A KIA engineer is flying in from CA to evaluate since the guy who got his entire front drive replaced had the noise AGAIN 3 weeks later. They think this is going to be a recall for all AWD EV6s and the unlocking mechanism was built just a touch too long, so it never truly uncouples and thus has the whirring noise.
Here's how to test if you have it. Turn off your radio and AC and fake engine noises. Then put into ECO and level 2/3 regen. Then watch on the display for when it's JUST the back wheels going (fronts are not supplying energy).. Go about 30-40 mph. If you hear a buzzing/whirring noise that sounds mechanical, THAT is the issue. Test it by going to sport and the fronts will kick in and suddenly the noise disappears. Go back to Eco and the noise comes back immediately.

IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE.. Call them, even if you are out of state. They are becoming the hub of this issue and Tom the service tech knows immediately what to look for.
As for me, He said 'Yep, you got the issue!" I now have a ticket and when KIA figures out a true fix, I'm first in line (before a recall) to get taken care of.
Is today the day?!?!

cc: @Lisey @Robnobob @MonkeyEV6

·
Registered
239 Posts
There have been early vehicle's with catastrophic failures for front propulsion unit. This doesn't make this EV as bad quality or whatever some people wanna call it. It just happens with some manufacturers assembly defects. I'm aware of this problem but Kia will not let me dig inside and see what really caused failure. I have replaced one front propulsion unit so far on our Demo vehicle. But eventually i will get my hands on one of this front propulsion units and tear it down to see what is happening regarding this issue.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
There have been early vehicle's with catastrophic failures for front propulsion unit. This doesn't make this EV as bad quality or whatever some people wanna call it. It just happens with some manufacturers assembly defects. I'm aware of this problem but Kia will not let me dig inside and see what really caused failure. I have replaced one front propulsion unit so far on our Demo vehicle. But eventually i will get my hands on one of this front propulsion units and tear it down to see what is happening regarding this issue.
Thanks. You probably didn't read the 15 pages here, but there are at least a couple of dozen folks on this forum with the issue. There is apparently an engineer at a dealer in Colorado today who is diagnosing some local vehicles. I am hopeful this is the start of an official path for a fix. I really don't enjoy my car making this noise.

·
Registered
FE Glacier #683
107 Posts
Well folks, here is the update if you can call it that! I couldn't speak with the technician but Kristen said the engineer has decided to replace the front drive motor assembly (GRU) again. She said it won't take very long for it to arrive or get replaced. Unfortunately that is all the info I have. She wasn't able to provide more detail as that is all Tom told her. As soon as I get more info I'll pass it on.

321 - 340 of 476 Posts