Kia EV6 Forum banner
341 - 360 of 476 Posts

·
Premium Member
Wind AWD in Central Oregon
437 Posts
Well folks, here is the update if you can call it that! I couldn't speak with the technician but Kristen said the engineer has decided to replace the front drive motor assembly (GRU) again. She said it won't take very long for it to arrive or get replaced. Unfortunately that is all the info I have. She wasn't able to provide more detail as that is all Tom told her. As soon as I get more info I'll pass it on.
Thanks for checking back in and providing what details you can. You're right, not much of an update!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The current list of folks with the issue:

1) bicyclechip (OP,issue reported to KIA)
2) NobodyInParticular
3) petraman
4) Ryaninpnet
5) elkkk
6) twcz3 (reported to KIA)
7) Robnobob (replaced GRU, still has the issue)
8) Biscuit112
9) MonkeyEV6
10) Adrien AZ (KIA offered buyback - posted on FB that the drive unit was replaced, no other updates)
11) Jcw
12) robby-d
13) Eranr (reported to KIA)
14) jogas (reported to KIA)
15) tbudai (reported to KIA)
16) Rockytj
17) pdebaum
18) MichiganEV6
19) jbrams_tank (reported to KIA)
20) Lisey
21) Phil Hyde (me)
I have the whirring noise and have reported it several times. The dealer keeps telling me that the Kia tech line people are telling them it’s “normal” so I keep going round and round with them and it’s super frustrating! Even mentioned the posts and still nothing :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the whirring noise and have reported it several times. The dealer keeps telling me that the Kia tech line people are telling them it’s “normal” so I keep going round and round with them and it’s super frustrating! Even mentioned the posts and still nothing :(
Have you tried asking a tech at the dealership to go for a ride with you so they can hear it directly?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I would also try contact KIA consumer affairs and get them involved. You won't get a lot of traction by mentioning forums or social media.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not likely unless entire batch is done with issues that are not found by QA . And from some examples on the road i have seen over 20k miles so far. This are isolated cases that where investigated and it will be addressed in time.
So keep driving and if this issue arises bring it in and start a ticket?

Couple quick bonus Q's (feel free to disregard since these are off topic): why were EV6/I5 not designed to include bigger frunks?

Why does it seem that the interior plastic (specifically driver door panel surrounding window controls) is especially fragile? Mine has a nick and a few scuffs and I've barely touched it.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Tech package
98 Posts
Now let's open can of worms ?
Questions please.
Design seems to be fine. What I noticed is that axle disconnect is turned off during sport mode. My question is if I run sport mode as my main drive mode is that going to have impact on wearing of components? Is this disconnect just there to help with energy efficiency? What is the point of the system?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Runway Red
82 Posts
Well folks, here is the update if you can call it that! I couldn't speak with the technician but Kristen said the engineer has decided to replace the front drive motor assembly (GRU) again. She said it won't take very long for it to arrive or get replaced. Unfortunately that is all the info I have. She wasn't able to provide more detail as that is all Tom told her. As soon as I get more info I'll pass it on.
I have a feeling that's not the answer. Sorry Rob. Hope it goes better this time. But won't hold my breath.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I have a feeling that's not the answer. Sorry Rob. Hope it goes better this time. But won't hold my breath.
It makes you wonder what's going on. Did they determine the problem, and the new unit is fixed? The only other assumption is that they don't know the cause and are throwing parts at it.

@Robnobob Do you have any information about the other cars that were supposed to be looked at, or the overall analysis? Any update from Kristen? According to @Lisey she was collecting names of people with the issue. Wonder what happened with that?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Now let's open can of worms ?
Questions please.
Here's a can of worms for you: As been reported in other threads (here and on the Hyundai IONIQ forum) that there is a possible defect in the disconnect mechanism which is causing a whirring/grinding sound from the front drive unit. Speculation is that some part is out of tolerance which is causing the GRU to not be fully disconnected. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
FE Glacier #683
107 Posts
It makes you wonder what's going on. Did they determine the problem, and the new unit is fixed? The only other assumption is that they don't know the cause and are throwing parts at it.

@Robnobob Do you have any information about the other cars that were supposed to be looked at, or the overall analysis? Any update from Kristen? According to @Lisey she was collecting names of people with the issue. Wonder what happened with that?
When I go back to get the car I'll ask Tom about the other cars and specifically what they believe the problem is.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
When I go back to get the car I'll ask Tom about the other cars and specifically what they believe the problem is.
Thanks. I'm sure you share my insane level of curiosity about the outcome of the engineer visit. No disrespect to you, but I thought it was a broader investigation than only your car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmm sounds like a recall somewhere.
If that diconnects or connects traction inconsistently whilst a car is being driven around a bend in a spirited fashion then you're potentially going backwards into the wall/tree/ditch.

Ahh back to the days of the Peugot 205 1.9 GTI and early BMWs

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Hmm sounds like a recall somewhere.
If that diconnects or connects traction inconsistently whilst a car is being driven around a bend in a spirited fashion then you're potentially going backwards into the wall/tree/ditch.
From what I can tell, only one side of the GRU is engaged which is causing the internal differential to spin. I don't think there is any inherent danger, but that crosses deeper into the realm of speculation rather quickly.

341 - 360 of 476 Posts