Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soliciting opinions on choosing the AWD vs the RWD. I like the styling of the GT-Line. I live in the South East US, so snow and ice are not really an issue. We go on road trips to Florida and elsewhere. I do like having more range. 310mi EPA for RWD vs 274mi AWD. In the US the Frunk is the same size for AWD and RWD. The AWD is $4700 more than the RWD.

The AWD is quicker. It comes with heated rear seats, a heat pump and heated steering wheel. In ECO mode the Front motor disconnects which may give a range close to the RWD in the real world on the highway.

Anyone have a RWD and regret not buying the AWD or have the AWD and wish they had the RWD? Any range concerns?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
What reason do they have to keep the froot as small in the RWD as the AWD? Does not compute.

I have RWD, in Norway in the winter. Chosen because of availability, range and froot size. No regrats so far.

Already has a trip to the flat in a ski resort so driveability on snow and icy roads is tested. A tad more tailhappy than expected and of course a tad more difficult to drive but not bad enough to want AWD.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have RWD GT Line spec here in London. I like to drive..in a spirited fashion..when the kids aren't in the car, and I find it plenty fast enough, especially in sport mode.
I did have one experience of the back end slipping on a wet road when I slammed down my foot in sport mode, but that's it.
On the one hand it would be nice to have the added traction of AWD, but I don't see the need for the extra speed boost, and I'm pleased I saved the money / got a better range / more storage space.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have choosen for RWD. More range, less expensive, here is has the same luxury (Has heat-pump, rear seats heated, steering wheel).
FRUNK I will use it to store all kinds of things that I usually have laying boot of my car and in storage cabin at passenger side, but almost never use..
Spare set of glasses, spare bottle of water, old fanasioned maps in paper, First Aid kit, pump for tires, rope when I return from ikea and boot cannot close, etc and most likely the charge cable. As I will be charging from home or fast charging and in both cases no cable is needed..

AWD can be interesting with snow abroad. In the Netherlands AWD is useless because most people find winter tyres useless and they will block every road putting the whole country to a standstill.
When I go to winter area I will take chains with me and rely on the traction control.

We have a renault twingo with RWD and I took it out when it was snowing to have some fun. But that little one is so restriced it is impossible to break out the back. Even in the snow.
So I expect the Kia will not spin when it hits the snow, all though you will notice it. But that is like 2 or most 3x per year 30min driving in such conditions.

Also I expect the insurance to be more costly due to horsepower and higher price

·
Registered
Powered by diesel (for now).
177 Posts
What reason do they have to keep the froot as small in the RWD as the AWD? Does not compute.

I have RWD, in Norway in the winter. Chosen because of availability, range and froot size. No regrats so far.

Already has a trip to the flat in a ski resort so driveability on snow and icy roads is tested. A tad more tailhappy than expected and of course a tad more difficult to drive but not bad enough to want AWD.
Were your winter tyres studded?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am soliciting opinions on choosing the AWD vs the RWD. I like the styling of the GT-Line. I live in the South East US, so snow and ice are not really an issue. We go on road trips to Florida and elsewhere. I do like having more range. 310mi EPA for RWD vs 274mi AWD. In the US the Frunk is the same size for AWD and RWD. The AWD is $4700 more than the RWD.

The AWD is quicker. It comes with heated rear seats, a heat pump and heated steering wheel. In ECO mode the Front motor disconnects which may give a range close to the RWD in the real world on the highway.

Anyone have a RWD and regret not buying the AWD or have the AWD and wish they had the RWD? Any range concerns?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Beyond living in North GA, looks like we have a lot of similar thoughts on the EV6. Do I need the AWD? Based on MulinatoR's original guess, I was willing to pay the extra money for the AWD as it was within my price point. But now I am thinking I don't really need the extra features so should I pay the extra money. So I am definitely leaning toward the Wind RWD. But now I am on the fence between Interstellar Gray and Gravity Blue.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I was ordering I would opt for RWD as I don't feel the need for speed so to speak and the extra range will come in handy....but I have FE reserved so I'm stuck. If the dealer has a GT with RWD in stock maybe I can switch out. Unlikely but one can hope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered an AWD with 77,4 kWh battery. For that reasons:
1) the test drive with RWD and 77,4 kWh battery did't show an excellence performance and I did't feel enough comfortable reserve. The acceleration was ok, but that's it (today I have a V6-diesel as RWD in a wagon car, it is nice).

2) the rated permanent power with AWD is 81 kW. RWD has only 56 kW. It means 25 kW more permanent power, what can be very important for trailer tow on long mountain (like between Switzerland and Italy).

3) negotiated price difference to RWD was appr. € 3000,-.

·
Registered
166 Posts
And when it may seem like the range difference between RWD and AWD is practically none unless you really need AWD, that argument for RWD goes.

Then it's price, trim-level madness (Kia seems to be rolling dices in each country to decide what features to pack together) and availability left. The price difference between RWD and AWD is not that high and I might have chosen AWD if it was available at ordering. Mainly because AWD has been more or less the norm up here and second hand price difference probably stays the same or higher. Alas no loss picking AWD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, the range difference between AWD and RWD is about 30 km according to the WLTP.
AWD is appr. 90 kg heavier than RWD, it is probably the main reason for higher consumption. On the highway with more or less constant speed I don't expect noticeable differences in consumption.
And on a second hand market AWD will cost more than RWD, therefore no real reason to take RWD, unless you must...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another norwegian test, now RWD in the winter with a video.

NULL PROBLEM: I de aller fleste tilfeller vil du ikke merke den store forskjellen mellom drift på to og fire, takket være superraskt ESP-system.
Read: Mostly no problem with RWD thanks to the superfast ESP.

And they found the same fun with RWD as I have. I am soooo looking forward to finding a place I can play with the ESP off and sport mode. My (now inner) 18 year old with a Lada will return!

·
Registered