Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
White RWD Long Range w/o Heat Pump
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess is something like that but in my case has never been ON, and it's winter. I'd like to know if somebody have some energy spent in battery care and, if it's a battery preheat function, what's the temperature threshold or conditions to make it work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I guess is something like that but in my case has never been ON, and it's winter. I'd like to know if somebody have some energy spent in battery care and, if it's a battery preheat function, what's the temperature threshold or conditions to make it work.
I read somewhere it’s possibly related to winter mode where if it drops below -15 it will try to protect and warm the battery.
So for myself in the uk it will basically never be in use
Would make sense why it’s always at zero.

Would love to know if any of our Nordic friends have been in -15 or below and do they have battery care usage?
Could confirm what I have heard

·
Registered
183 Posts
It should also be possible to pre-heat the battery before you go fast charging, then it enables directly the 350kw charge capability. But I read that this is currently not working. Most likely a SW update is needed. And indeed when it's too cold it will heat the battery to prevent it gets too cold that is damages battery or performance is sincerely degreaded. Loss of power.. Not loss of voltage, but loss to give enough amps quick enough to engine --> reduced engine response and power.

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
78 Posts
I could not tell from your response if Winter Mode is turned on. I have seen some posts about the Niro (which probably informed Hyundai/Kai on battery management) stating it was 15C and other posts say -15C of battery temperature (not outoor). 15C, and not -15C, makes more sense because this is the temp in Bjorn Nyland's EV6 video where the DCFC charging power jumps up and continues to increase at each 5C increment after that (see 6:11 Kia EV6 range and charging test). Try driving with Winter Mode on and seeing if Battery care starts using power.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have a look on pre-heating request petition ; Sign the Petition
In theory Winter Mode is supposed to be using the battery heater to heat the battery to allow enhanced throttle response and faster DCFC charging speeds. In reality the solution should be that their future route planning software should plan DCFC charging stops and pre-heat the battery appropriately or they should just implement Android Automotive like Polestar and Volvo do which has this functionality.

Here is a link to the system the Kia Niro uses in those parts of the world where a battery heater is installed Hyundai’s new battery thermal management design and is probably in use in the EV6 and Ioniq 5. The e-GMP platform has a dedicated battery heater The Story of EV Technology on E-GMP.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Winter mode should be enabled, but even then there are reports that it does not heat up the battery. Check if winter mode is on and if so report it to your dealer as a potential bug.
The more people complain the sooner a fix will come. Since there are some other fixes coming it would be great if this one would come as well. Especially option to pre-heat for fast-charging

·
Registered
83 Posts
Battery Care only seems to show when the battery is being cooled after charging. Never seen it warm the battery but it shows when driving after charging if the battery is still being cooled down.

Even after 3 years in Konas I never ever saw the battery heat when cold even in the worst depths of Winter, Only Ever Cooling the battery after charging.

Dont have a photo of my EV6 doing it, but here is one from my old Kona which is the same software and system.

EDIT : Also when the EV6 is plugged in and charging and the battery is activly being heated to increase the charge speed, the Battery Care section on the screen shows 0 even though from Car Scanner you can see 5kw is being diverted from the charge to heat the battery during charging, So I would assume the battery care section is only set to show when its being cooled not heated.

Cloud Sky Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Battery Care only seems to show when the battery is being cooled after charging. Never seen it warm the battery but it shows when driving after charging if the battery is still being cooled down.

Even after 3 years in Konas I never ever saw the battery heat when cold even in the worst depths of Winter, Only Ever Cooling the battery after charging.

Dont have a photo of my EV6 doing it, but here is one from my old Kona which is the same software and system.

EDIT : Also when the EV6 is plugged in and charging and the battery is activly being heated to increase the charge speed, the Battery Care section on the screen shows 0 even though from Car Scanner you can see 5kw is being diverted from the charge to heat the battery during charging, So I would assume the battery care section is only set to show when its being cooled not heated.

View attachment 1232
From what I can tell a battery heater has only been available for the Kona since 2019, only for the Limited and Ultimate trim levels and only in cold climate countries.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Noticed this today 29th January 2022. Does it mean the EV6 has a battery heater in all market zones or just selected markets? Does it mean drivers can preheat their battery to reduce all those cold gate reports from European markets and anywhere there is some snow in winter for that matter?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The battery heater is different from the heat pump. The heat pump heats the cabin and can use waste heat from the battery and the motors to do this reducing the range loss in cold weather. There is an electric heater for the cabin too. The battery heater (for battery health) only comes into action at low temps it seems to protect the battery form v cold temp damage and come on during charging to help charge speed. It has been rumoured that a soft ware update will change this so that the battery heater will be able to be used to preheat the battery to help initial charge speed in cold weather. We will see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts