Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Winter mode is standard but, yeah, the part about pre-conditioning the battery prior to DC fast charging is yet to be realised. This part should be updated OTA at some point.
I read the article again and it is possible the Koreans are spouting the old story in a misleading way. If they mean the battery heater comes on automatically (as much as possible ie full power) at -7C then it will allow some level of higher speed charging without damaging the battery. This not the same as saying the heater comes on to aggressively trying to heat the battery to allow nearly full charging power at very high speed chargers at temperatures from 20C to -7C. . They also keep talking about low temperature and reference -7C, and joining the dots they are probably saying you will still be able to highish speed charge in "low temperature" conditions not achieve name plate charging rates though. On the other hand they say use it appropriately right before fast charging which implies a kind of battery preheat function on driver request!! Who knows what they mean? Given the way software has gone so far I have low expectations. Kia, surprise me please. If they are just talking about safety heating in winter mode it will be an enormous disappointment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Winter mode
A: EV Settings
  1. Winter mode
  2. Winter mode
You can select or deselect Winter mode.
The Winter mode is efficient during the winter time when the high voltage battery temperature is low.
This mode is recommended to improve driving and DC charging performances during winter by raising the battery temperature to an adequate level.
However, the driving distance may be reduced as the energy is required to increase battery temperature.
Also, if the battery temperature is low during driving or when scheduled air conditioner/heater is activated, this mode is operated to improve driving performance.
However, the mode is not operated to ensure driving distance when the battery level is low.

Notice
This mode is available for the vehicles equipped with the battery heater

Lets hope this is actually what they mean and low temperature is not just -7C. What is their view of an adequate level? if less than 20 or 25C they are kidding themselves?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have noticed mine in use just after charging on a long trip. It's the cooling of the battery from a rapid charge from what I have noticed. If I let it finish cooling the battery prior to taking off on my next leg on average im getting more milage.

I have also seen it for when I'm driving with snow mode and winter mode on

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am betting the battery heater is autonomous and comes on only in very low temps. 32*F hardly qualifies. My RAV4 Prime was like this, and I don't often recall it coming on. Maybe if you get the vehicle into the -'s or low teens/single digits *F. These things are pretty smart, and will protect themselves. Can you imagine the warranty claims if all the battery packs above the MasonDixon line froze?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here where I live, it is now 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I noticed that when I got on the highway, the Battery Care showed about 0.7 kwH while driving. Once I slowed down, it went to about 0.4 kwH. I suspect the Battery Care is used to heat and cool to protect the batteries from getting to hot or to heat them if necessary. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here where I live, it is now 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I noticed that when I got on the highway, the Battery Care showed about 0.7 kwH while driving. Once I slowed down, it went to about 0.4 kwH. I suspect the Battery Care is used to heat and cool to protect the batteries from getting to hot or to heat them if necessary. Just my thoughts.
Certainly the HVAC cools the battery , from your observation. Very interesting cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
104 degrees outside yesterday. After turning the car on for about 30 seconds, before turning on the ac, the battery care system was already activated. This was not after any charging for 6 hours. I'm guessing it was just trying to cool the battery a bit.
Vehicle Font Window Line Motor vehicle

21 - 28 of 28 Posts