Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
If the old ones don’t get it they will definitely loose some customers. [/QUOTE said:
Just curious...did Kia ever say they would be activating this feature on 2022 models? It would be cool if we got it but I just don't see flipping out about a feature not being added to a car you bought knowing that feature wasn't present.

Prices are still crazy here in Florida...and we don't need pre conditioning...so if ya can't live with it...take a little Vacation and sell your EV6 while you're here!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well pre conditioning isn’t really the problem. Cold gating is. If it’s cold enough it takes a hour to charge from 10-80. That is way off from the 18 minute they say. I’m not saying it has to be 18 minutes but 18 to a hour in cold weather is 100 percent unacceptable. If it was say 30 sure that’s fine. Basically living in Canada or northern us would make the car unusable for long trips in the winter. Just not cool if they don’t do something about it whether it’s putting in pre conditioning or something else to warm the battery up faster on dc fast charging

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
776 Posts
yeah it’s fine right now but if you live somewhere that gets to freezing or below it takes forever to DC fast charge. If it’s really cold it can take almost a hour to go from 10-80. If it was say 10 minutes longer that’s one thing but 30-40 minutes longer is unacceptable for what they advertise
I didn't have any problems charging at 4 degrees this past winter. shrugs

·
Registered
2022 EV6 WIND AWD
288 Posts
I agree we need more data, including the battery temperature. Supposedly, Li-ion must be above freezing to charge. Discharge gets funky below 0F; I've seen in in a hybrid's battery, but discharge heats the battery, too.
it still charges incredibly quickly.
True, but as weather gets worse, the desire to stand in it diminishes. I suspect a quick hook-up will matter more, because sitting in the car is always warmer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
View attachment 9027
without preconditioning the battery just with the battery heater. December 2021 in France .
That really isn’t that cold. When I mean cold I mean cold like -10C. Like in northern US or Canada in the winter. It easily gets that cold if not colder. Here is a good video for reference and it would just get worst and worst as the temp drops.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD on order
358 Posts
The only time it would take 60 minutes would be if I fell asleep while it's charging,
Or if you are at a 50 kW DC fast charger charging over 65% of the battery (say from 10% to 75%). Most of those chargers max out at 500 V, so you'd be limited to 56 kW at 450 V (the voltage the EV6 charges at on 500 V, 125 A chargers).

Quiet about whether the 77.4 kWh is net or gross.
The 77.4 kWh battery is net not gross, at least here in the US. This has been tested many times by different YouTubers. It should be the same worldwide but it could be different.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
535 Posts
So in the Winter freezing temperatures can we expect half the range and will take twice as much to recharge? Not ideal for long trips. Luckily I don't drive very far in the Winter and I still have my old ICE car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These folks saw a 20% hit in winter weather. Sadly, EV6 was not in their summer test, but it still had better efficiency in the cold than anyone but Tesla.
On the 7th of October I read on a Swedish electric car magazine that Kia’s Swedish product responsible had announced that all Kia ev6 MY22 will get pre-heat update from now on. I contacted my Kia shop and they had no clue What I was talking about. I then contacted Kia Support Sweden to verify, they told me that this article is correct and they called my Kia shop to explain and after that I got a call and now I’m scheduled to get the latest update that will enable battery preconditioning when navigating to a fast charger on the 17th of October.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On the 7th of October I read on a Swedish electric car magazine that Kia’s Swedish product responsible had announced that all Kia ev6 MY22 will get pre-heat update from now on. I contacted my Kia shop and they had no clue What I was talking about. I then contacted Kia Support Sweden to verify, they told me that this article is correct and they called my Kia shop to explain and after that I got a call and now I’m scheduled to get the latest update that will enable battery preconditioning when navigating to a fast charger on the 17th of October.
hopefully this is for all countries. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
323 Posts
These folks saw a 20% hit in winter weather. Sadly, EV6 was not in their summer test, but it still had better efficiency in the cold than anyone but Tesla.
It was in their summer test, Whatcar: We drive 10 EVs until they died. The summer range was 278mi and winter was 228mi. This is 18% loss of range and a 14% loss of efficiency. An 18% loss of range is very modest for an EV in winter. I am guessing the heat pump has a lot to do with this.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The 77.4 kWh battery is net not gross, at least here in the US. This has been tested many times by different YouTubers. It should be the same worldwide but it could be different.
Could you link any such videos you know of? I've been wondering this and can't seem to find any. I'm also not convinced there's a way to test it accurately enough to say (without getting into the internals more deeply than a typical driver), since measurement uncertainties are all comparable to how different the battery size would be, up or down, depending on whether the rating is usable vs gross. I guess you could drive continuously from 100% to 0% and see what Kia Connect says the total trip energy was - ~77.4 or <77.4. Assuming that metric is more accurate than the few % the net-gross spread would be.

The only thing I know for sure is that there's a bit of a buffer on both the high and low side, since you can drive past 0% and at 100% the cell voltage is more like 4.1 rather than 4.2V.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts