Kia EV6 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
518 Posts
Could you link any such videos you know of? I've been wondering this and can't seem to find any. I'm also not convinced there's a way to test it accurately enough to say (without getting into the internals more deeply than a typical driver), since measurement uncertainties are all comparable to how different the battery size would be, up or down, depending on whether the rating is usable vs gross. I guess you could drive continuously from 100% to 0% and see what Kia Connect says the total trip energy was - ~77.4 or <77.4. Assuming that metric is more accurate than the few % the net-gross spread would be.

The only thing I know for sure is that there's a bit of a buffer on both the high and low side, since you can drive past 0% and at 100% the cell voltage is more like 4.1 rather than 4.2V.
Check out this discussion, particularly, the link in my post. It talks about the gross vs net of the 77.4 kWh battery pack.

Also, an OBD adapter with Car Scanner Pro, yes, the paid upgrade, will show the difference between displayed SoC vs BMS SoC.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Check out this discussion, particularly, the link in my post. It talks about the gross vs net of the 77.4 kWh battery pack.

Also, an OBD adapter with Car Scanner Pro, yes, the paid upgrade, will show the difference between displayed SoC vs BMS SoC.
Any idea where that info comes from though? It’s entirely believable, and all the info agrees with official documentation I’ve seen where it overlaps (like individual cell Ah rating), but that doesn’t on its own indicate whether 77.4 is net or gross. “Nominal” cell voltage*Ah capacity doesn’t necessarily indicate total discharge energy accurately enough to say, and the numbers as shown correspond to rated capacity anyway: 111.2*3.63*192=77.4

Nor does the disagreement between SOC (gauge) and SOC (BMS) - yes, we see there’s a small buffer on both ends, but that doesn’t indicate whether the gauge or BMS number is based on the stated 77.4 - just that “net” and “gross” are definitely different.

The best indication is that typically a lithium ion cell nominal voltage is 3.7, and 111.2*3.7*192=79kWh, suggesting the pack is 79 and derated by 2.1% - but that seems like a lot of hand waving to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any idea where that info comes from though? It’s entirely believable, and all the info agrees with official documentation I’ve seen where it overlaps (like individual cell Ah rating), but that doesn’t on its own indicate whether 77.4 is net or gross. “Nominal” cell voltage*Ah capacity doesn’t necessarily indicate total discharge energy accurately enough to say, and the numbers as shown correspond to rated capacity anyway: 111.2*3.63*192=77.4

Nor does the disagreement between SOC (gauge) and SOC (BMS) - yes, we see there’s a small buffer on both ends, but that doesn’t indicate whether the gauge or BMS number is based on the stated 77.4 - just that “net” and “gross” are definitely different.

The best indication is that typically a lithium ion cell nominal voltage is 3.7, and 111.2*3.7*192=79kWh, suggesting the pack is 79 and derated by 2.1% - but that seems like a lot of hand waving to me.
So I’m just wondering why some people keep talking about a completely unrelated topic. This thread is about battery preconditioning status. Please if you are wanting to talk about something else do so on a separate thread. Thank you.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
518 Posts
Just like probably 90%+ of the discussions on the forum, something triggers a thought in a readers mind and they ask it, and the hijack is completed. We have so many duplicate subjects that the admin have to combine. So many hijacked discussions.

I roll my eyes when some say, “I did a quick search” That could be why people don’t search. There are so many divergent subjects that get intermingled or people just don’t know how to search. Sometimes you have to be very creative in the words you search for and search through hundreds of pages of responses to find what you were looking for. It’s not easy.

Then throw in the new to the car and new to forums people, and @JK-KIAEV6 as super moderator is buried trying to keep us from ourselves. Perhaps some are so new to this type of communication, they don’t know how to participate, having been fed on YouTube and TikTok and Twitter, and to a point, Reddit, where you say what’s on your mind when you want and where you want.

And finally, I agree with you @jrfeimst2, it’s tough reading a discussion only to have it go somewhere that it shouldn’t and that has been discussed before. I apologize for inserting my comment, which hijacked the thread, instead of simply saying it’s been covered and doing the work of searching for it and telling them to go read there. We all owe it to ourselves and the participants of these forums, to learn to search better, try different words and combinations. Use straight quotes, not curly quotes, in searches to find exact wording. “Curly quotes” look like that. "Straight" like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thursday October 20th there was an announcment made on the Dutch Kia News site the update is available for the EV6 and will be updated by the dealer (so no OTA) at the next service. My car had its service just 3 weeks ago, so I called my dealer if I could receive it earlier. He said I could come next day. So got the update (took almost an hour, free of charge). During a next ride I just selected a nearby charging station in my navigation and a snowflake appeared in the battery symbol and battery care went up to 5.2 kW. After cancelling the navigation the snowflake disappears again. On a next longer ride I will try the preheating effect on charging speed.
Output device Font Technology Display device Input device

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thursday October 20th there was an announcment made on the Dutch Kia News site the update is available for the EV6 and will be updated by the dealer (so no OTA) at the next service. My car had its service just 3 weeks ago, so I called my dealer if I could receive it earlier. He said I could come next day. So got the update (took almost an hour, free of charge). During a next ride I just selected a nearby charging station in my navigation and a snowflake appeared in the battery symbol and battery care went up to 5.2 kW. After cancelling the navigation the snowflake disappears again. On a next longer ride I will try the preheating effect on charging speed.
View attachment 9731
Nice!!! I just hope this comes to all countries and not just selective ones. I called KIA connect and they haven’t heard anything for USA owners. She kinda made it out to be that it was just an Europe thing for the time being. Maybe to test before launching the update world wide??? I don’t know 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line AWD
30 Posts
View attachment 9731
In France, I am having my 30,000 km maintenance done today and the pre-conditioning update will be done as well. I will test this over the weekend. The post from terpstek is promising !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anybody heard anything on the battery preconditioning before fast charging issue............It got down to 41 degrees Fahrenheit last night here in Northern Minnesota USA............
Kia press release from 10/20: "Battery conditioning now available on all MY22 EV6 models"

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line AWD
30 Posts
Kia press release from 10/20: "Battery conditioning now available on all MY22 EV6 models"
Version Française

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is yet to be any news in the US about battery conditioning. All articles have been about ex-US models. We are still waiting.
Called my local dealer yesterday--they know nothing about this update. Also rang Kia USA corporate, who told me they do not yet have any info on this feature. Since this was put out by KIA as an official press release in Europe on 11/20/2022, you would expect that there would at least be some recognition of it, even though a firm timeline hasn't yet been established for implementation in the USA..

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line AWD
30 Posts
Bonjour!

How about your testing of the pre-conditioning? Did you improve the charging times?

Regards
buenas noches danutopik81,

I was hoping KIA would do the update when I was in for my 2 years / 30,000 km maintenance end of october (I only had the EV6 for one year but I am now very close to 30,000 km), but they could not do it then.
I now have an appointment this coming Wednesday (in 2 days) specifically for this update. I will definitively go test the pre-conditioning late Wednesday or Thursday for sure.

I will let you know,

Best regards

Pierre Paul C.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line AWD
30 Posts
So, am I the only person here that's happy with the EV6 charge times??? 🤔
I am generally happy with charge speed…. In summer / warmer weather.!!
But last winter it took from November to March before I saw a charge above 220 kWh (and this first time above 200 kWh was the 3rd HPC charge of the day with 130 km/h driving for hours before)
The pre-conditioning will come in handy this coming winter (although winter in France is pretty warm compare to what I was used to in Canada)

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line AWD
30 Posts
buenas noches danutopik81,

I was hoping KIA would do the update when I was in for my 2 years / 30,000 km maintenance end of october (I only had the EV6 for one year but I am now very close to 30,000 km), but they could not do it then.
I now have an appointment this coming Wednesday (in 2 days) specifically for this update. I will definitively go test the pre-conditioning late Wednesday or Thursday for sure.

I will let you know,

Best regards

Pierre Paul C.
WELL !!! The KIA mechanics at my dealer could NOT download the upgrade….. They will call me to set up another appointment to get pre-conditioning update . Soon I hope !!!Ù0
¨ÇÀÈÉ;LP

·
Registered
760 Posts
newbie here..what is on-route battery preconditioning and battery preconditioning?
thanks.
The car can charge at 240kW, but only in a narrow range of battery temperature. Below ~26C and above ~38C*, 240kW is too spicy and risks damaging the pack.

Preconditioning pre-heats the battery to that 26C optimum while you’re on your way to a charger on a cold day, so you can spend less time at the charger.

*For anyone curious, those numbers come from this charging curve. The charge rate throttling may be due to factors other than temp but I think conditions during this session are temperature dominated.
Rectangle Green Slope Plot Line

61 - 80 of 93 Posts