Kia EV6 Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
newbie here..what is on-route battery preconditioning and battery preconditioning?
thanks.
On-route battery pre-conditioning:
This refers to the car's ability to warm (or cool) the battery to the optimal battery temperature to accept the peak charging power when you arrive at the DCFC. This is typically done by navigating to a DCFC via the built-in nav (assuming the car has the feature).

Battery pre-conditioning:
This is the act of getting the battery to the optimal battery temperature for either driving or charging to extract optimal performance from the battery. This will depend on battery chemistry and other variables that the manufacturer decides would allow the computers to accept high charge or provide peak driving performance. Battery pre-conditioning can be done manually (like on the Lucid Air where you can manually select it) or automatically (e.g. Tesla where if you navigate to a DCFC, it'll determine how far in advance to start the battery pre-conditioning to arrive at the optimal temperature and balance remaining charge so that you actually do arrive at the charger and not get stranded).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Manual discharge and recharge are as simple as accelerating and braking, if cruising drain hasn't done the trick.
I’ve definitely heard of people driving intentionally inefficient to try to heat the battery, but I’ve never heard that it actually heats it enough to matter for DCFC. Even if you drive like a monster, most of that heat ends up in the motor and drive electronics, and it’s removed by design and not to the battery.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
323 Posts
I’ve definitely heard of people driving intentionally inefficient to try to heat the battery, but I’ve never heard that it actually heats it enough to matter for DCFC. Even if you drive like a monster, most of that heat ends up in the motor and drive electronics, and it’s removed by design and not to the battery.
The problem and the major benefit of the 800V platform is that it tends to run colder than a 400V platform because it can run at lower amperage. The lower amperage means lower heat so you may be right that yo-yoing may not raise the battery temp much. I would need to go back and review Bjorn Nyland's videos were he tries to raise the temp of the battery by yo-yoing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess we will all have to wait for the company to say something to US owners.... Then we will know for sure.
Hyundai has officially stated that they are not applying this update to 2022 Ionic5 models in the U.S. It remains to be seen whether or not Kia does the same for EV6s.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD on order
358 Posts
They changed their minds as of yesterday, it is now being applied.
They probably changed their minds due to the heavy pushback they got. However, I guess Hyundai is still limited to only making it available to AWD 2022 Ioniq 5s due to the mysterious omission of a battery heater from the 2022 RWD models.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line AWD
30 Posts
In France, I am having my 30,000 km maintenance done today and the pre-conditioning update will be done as well. I will test this over the weekend. The post from terpstek is promising !!!
WELL… the pre-conditioning update was finally done yesterday. !! It took 3 visits . To make a long story short, the dealer received an USB stick last week and could do the update with it. It did not work at first because there was additional updates to download as well but in the end it looks OK.
I will test that next week when I get close to an HPC charger.
I see from a FB EV6 group in France that quite a few had the update done since mid-november.

Attachments

81 - 93 of 93 Posts