Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is standard so would like to check with other owners to see a comparison.

I’m in the uk so had approx 1-4 degrees temp over the past week.

I charged to 90% on Thursday, have driven 65 miles since (mostly city driving) in normal mode using ipedal and using climate control where possible. My battery is now at 45%.
So based on that a full charge would get me 144 miles which seems extremely low for city driving?

One journey to work I have tracked multiple times. It’s almost all motorway and is 15 miles. Each time I do this journey it is taking up 9-10% battery.

I have RWD ‘air’ model so should be range topping!

I’m new to the EV world so just want to check Does this match with other owners findings?
Or does it seem like something I need to mention to the dealer?

I could be either over expecting what ‘normal’ can achieve or under estimating how much of an effect climate control will have on mileage.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pre-heating the cabin prior to departure is one way to help reduce consumption. I find heating the battery (either via charging or cabin heating) can help. Check your tyre pressures as well as they drop as temperatures fall (roughly 1psi every 5°C)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, for comparison Bjorn Nyland in winter got 170 miles of range at 120 kph and 250 miles at 90 kph on the highway with a GT-line AWD, so your range seems quite low in comparison. His video is here:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, for comparison Bjorn Nyland in winter got 170 miles of range at 120 kph and 250 miles at 90 kph on the highway with a GT-line AWD, so your range seems quite low in comparison. His video is here:
Excellent, so seems the motorway range isn’t a million miles away as he was in eco and I’m
Probably travelling at 120-130kph.

I still expected more from the city driving though!

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't use iPedal or any type of regen or at least compare how many miles you get with one method over the other, yes I know it's shocking:
This is the exact video that got me thinking am I driving it correctly! I am always on ipedal or at times level 3 but going to try coasting more often.

Tried it this morning and the pedals at the wheel are great for controlling regen depending on the circumstances. Whereas before I was picking a setting and keeping it there.
Hopefully this improves mileage

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pre-heating the cabin prior to departure is one way to help reduce consumption. I find heating the battery (either via charging or cabin heating) can help. Check your tyre pressures as well as they drop as temperatures fall (roughly 1psi every 5°C)
Thanks for reply. Tyre pressure is all good however my car suffers from the pre heat issue so am currently unable to do this.
Hopefully when this gets fixed I will see an improvement 🤞🏻

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hopefully, you all have heat pumps?, when the software/hardware fix comes out heat pumps will likely play a large part in this issue, cabin heat alone won't make much difference to that large battery unless you have it on constantly a full, the battery is huge and comes in a 0.5 tons almost, read the below site, I bet there is more to it, but really interesting, with a heat pump, preheating the battery before and while driving delivers more range and faster charge. Range in winter will be poor as with ICE cars as well, as all know. Kia seems to hope that a future update will fix these issues, however, you would really need the heat pump as Kia’s heat management innovation maximizes EV driving range in low temperatures via a heat pump and not just 12v car heaters for the cabin. Read more on it here Recycling More Heat: Hyundai and Kia Turn Up EV Efficiency with New Heat Pump Technology

Look for:
How it works: EV cabin heating without the energy drain
Battery pack heat management enhances EV driving range

As I say, there will be a lot more to it for range issues, it's a well talked about subject in EVs. I choose not to get a heat pump at first, the Kia dealer looked at me and said...You're gonna need it, now I know it wasn't a sales pitch. I see the ID4 without a heat pump delivers the same range as the EV6 with a heat pump in real world, wonder how they do it over at VW.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Makes sense that it will always be better not to expend energy (by coasting where possible), than to expend excess energy and they try to recoup via regeneration the energy you did not need to expend, which by definition will not be as efficient.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hopefully, you all have heat pumps?, when the software/hardware fix comes out heat pumps will likely play a large part in this issue, cabin heat alone won't make much difference to that large battery unless you have it on constantly a full, the battery is huge and comes in a 0.5 tons almost, read the below site, I bet there is more to it, but really interesting, with a heat pump, preheating the battery before and while driving delivers more range and faster charge. Range in winter will be poor as with ICE cars as well, as all know. Kia seems to hope that a future update will fix these issues, however, you would really need the heat pump as Kia’s heat management innovation maximizes EV driving range in low temperatures via a heat pump and not just 12v car heaters for the cabin. Read more on it here Recycling More Heat: Hyundai and Kia Turn Up EV Efficiency with New Heat Pump Technology

Look for:
How it works: EV cabin heating without the energy drain
Battery pack heat management enhances EV driving range

As I say, there will be a lot more to it for range issues, it's a well talked about subject in EVs. I choose not to get a heat pump at first, the Kia dealer looked at me and said...You're gonna need it, now I know it wasn't a sales pitch. I see the ID4 without a heat pump delivers the same range as the EV6 with a heat pump in real world, wonder how they do it over at VW.
Looks like Hyundai/Kia went with a vapour-injected heat pump. That's awesome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have the RWD GT Line so again range topping, with the heat pump. I am getting 240 miles or 2.9 miles/kW. I have found my trip to work is less efficient, the only reasons I can work out are an increase in altitude and that I tend to charge at work and it is the return trip I have seen as high as 3.4 miles/kW. So is the car slot more efficient immediately after charging with a warm battery? My journey is motorway approximately 35 miles and I tend to have cruise control on in eco mode. I am beginning to wonder if the heat pump is fitted or if I am doing something wrong. Car Wow were seeing 3.7 miles/kW average when they ran a number of EVs up the motorway until flat, from what I could see they were manually driving in normal mode.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi I have the RWD GT Line so again range topping, with the heat pump. I am getting 240 miles or 2.9 miles/kW. I have found my trip to work is less efficient, the only reasons I can work out are an increase in altitude and that I tend to charge at work and it is the return trip I have seen as high as 3.4 miles/kW. So is the car slot more efficient immediately after charging with a warm battery? My journey is motorway approximately 35 miles and I tend to have cruise control on in eco mode. I am beginning to wonder if the heat pump is fitted or if I am doing something wrong. Car Wow were seeing 3.7 miles/kW average when they ran a number of EVs up the motorway until flat, from what I could see they were manually driving in normal mode.
You would be surprised at the range-losing effect of even a small incline. Maybe going to work you go overall slightly uphill, and the reverse going home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont have my Ev yet but I can confirm that on am electric bike hills hammer the battery.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why do you imply that using cruise control reduces EV range? With a petrol car cruise control reduces consumption by keeping speed steady
That’s partially incorrect. It reduces consumption only if you’re a driver that can’t keep a steady speed on a flat road.

On rolling terrain, it’s more efficient to vary the speed and keep the accelerator pedal position constant (Traffic permitting). Even on mostly flat terrain, it can be useful but usually it gets tiring and CC is “good enough”.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
613 Posts
Why do you imply that using cruise control reduces EV range? With a petrol car cruise control reduces consumption by keeping speed steady
Most "hyper-miling" research will show that you typically get better efficiency from not using the cruise as @KiaevCan stated above. If your desired speed is say 70mph on a flat stretch, you hold the pedal at that position with your foot. When an incline comes, your speed will decrease slightly until you crest the hill and then your speed will recover. But, as you begin the decent, you can actually reduce the petal to maintain your desired speed of 70mph.

You are saving on the uphill portion by not "forcing" the drivetrain to maintain the exact desired speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts