Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Questions for Californian buyers who purchase out of state. How is sale tax handled, and were you still able to apply for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program (CVRP)? The CVRP website states you need to buy from a "participating" dealer. In the application it'll ask you to enter the dealer's information.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not in California but I looked up the CVRP rules. Among other things it says:
"Vehicles may not be purchased, leased, or delivered out of state. Purchases/leases must be made via a California purchase or lease contract. Vehicles ordered online and delivered outside of California are not eligible. The seller's address as reflected on the purchase or lease agreement must be in California."

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
I’m in California and I purchased mine from Colorado. In February the CVRP changed income requirements downward. Therefore I no longer qualified. So it didn’t hurt me to buy out of state. Regarding the purchase, the selling dealer should collect the sales tax based on your home zip code. For me that was 10.25%. The taxes and paperwork for it is sent to the California DMV. You should not be paying any out of state taxes. The DMV should notify you when they receive it and you’d need to go in for a VIN verification and to complete the registration process and pay license and registration fees. The selling dealer does not collect and pay those as they would if it were a local purchase. Make sure the dealer you use knows the process and make sure they title it in California. The dealer I used does a ton of out of state sales and it was very easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts