Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying an EV6. The two dealers I have been to are giving me different answers to my question and both of the 2 salesmen did not seem not very knowledgeable about the EV6 in general. If someone who owns one could give me the correct answer on if the EV6 can charge from a home 110V plug I would really appreciate it. Or is the 110 adapter is only to charge other things on the road or from one vehicle to another? I am going to be selling my house soon so don't plan to install a home charging plug and I may buy a condo where I don't have that option so I am just looking for a straight answer. I know I can charge it at a 400 or 800 charger, but sometimes even a slow 110v charge from home would be a nice option. Currently, I am waiting for the color and model I want to show up and I plan to seek out other dealers as the dealer near me has an $8000 markup which seems both ridiculous and frustrating. Then I clicked to get an e price on another dealer's website about an hour from me for an EV6 and they refused to give me a price in the multiple emails they continued to send. Maybe I should just be running from Kia, but I am still holding out hope that all Kia dealers don't operate this way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think your reference to the 110V adapter and asking if it is only for charging other things or vehicles, is to the V2L adapter. That device comes with the EV6 (except the lowest trim level), and does only what you said. It is to take power out of the car for other things or vehicles.

But @dc30307 is correct, too. If you buy a Level 1 EVSE ("charger") or a Level 2, you can charge your EV6 at home. A Level 1 (110V) charger will take several days to give the EV6 a full charge, but if you don't drive too far during the day, and charge every night, that may be OK for you. I plan to do that at first when I get my EV6.

A Level 2 charger needs 240V (220V, same thing) and generally a new circuit installed for it. They can be either plug in (often with a 6-50 or 14-50 plug) or hard-wired. A full charge with a Level 2 charger takes less than 8 hours.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think your reference to the 110V adapter and asking if it is only for charging other things or vehicles, is to the V2L adapter. That device comes with the EV6 (except the lowest trim level), and does only what you said. It is to take power out of the car for other things or vehicles.

But @dc30307 is correct, too. If you buy a Level 1 EVSE ("charger") or a Level 2, you can charge your EV6 at home. A Level 1 (110V) charger will take several days to give the EV6 a full charge, but if you don't drive too far during the day, and charge every night, that may be OK for you. I plan to do that at first when I get my EV6.

A Level 2 charger needs 240V (220V, same thing) and generally a new circuit installed for it. They can be either plug in (often with a 6-50 or 14-50 plug) or hard-wired. A full charge with a Level 2 charger takes less than 8 hours.
I agree!!!

·
Registered
EV6 GT-L RWD
243 Posts
110V charging works for a plug-in hybrid, not for a full EV. I suggest you use public chargers until you can install a L2 (240V) at home.
Well, technically speaking, 110V charging works for a full EV--but it may not be practical. From my own testing, the EV6 will take about 3 days to charge on 110V to 80-100% charge from around 30%. It's far from ideal if you have a long commute every day, but if you just take short trips around town, you can get by with it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with charging a full EV with an L1 charger. In fact, the batteries love slow charging, it's just a question of whether or not it's sufficient for your daily usage and time you have to charge. You can get 60 miles of range on a 12hr charge, which is plenty for a lot of people. You can calculate the charging speed at this site. Just enter your vehicle and pick the charging method. But I would change the default 15A amperage down to 12A, as that's more realistic for a 15A circuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used a level one charger for my ev6 for last week with no problems. It is slow but my commute only about 25 miles round trip. The NAPA auto parts one is a good deal and can get up to 3.7 kw/hr with 220 plug which is included.
Here is info: Schumacher EV charger
Part # NBC SC 1455 it is only $149.00
Will be good spare to keep in car when get installed charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say 5 miles of charge per hour is optimistic. I've been charging at work using with the charger from my girlfriend's Niro plug-in and get about 18miles in 9 hours. I've made sure it's set to charge as fast as possible. I'm sure that it doesn't help that I've driven it in sport mode pretty much since the day I got it (so much more fun!) but yeah, if you have a short commute you can probably get by with charging through a normal wall plug at home, assuming you plug in any time you're at home. I sure feel better having a faster charger though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same as many here. I picked up a Lvl1/2 charger and was charging at lvl 1 speeds before I got my Chargepoint installed. It was slow. I think it maybe pulled 3 kW, so I believe everyone's estimates here of 2-3 days for a full charge. But since getting an electrician out takes time, I do think the dealers should be ready to give some lvl 1 options for at least some overnight charging capabilities.

Also, on the one I got (MEGEAR Skysword on Amazon) charging at lvl 1, it kept tripping my 15A breaker in the garage until I lowered the setting for AC on the EV6, so beware of using some. If you do have issues, try using that setting to moderate the power a bit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think it maybe pulled 3 kW, so I believe everyone's estimates here of 2-3 days for a full charge.

Also, on the one I got (MEGEAR Skysword on Amazon) charging at lvl 1, it kept tripping my 15A breaker in the garage until I lowered the setting for AC on the EV6, so beware of using some.
It should have been pulling 1.44kW. A device with a NEMA 5-15 plug should pull 1800A maximum if it's an intermittent load (like a hair dryer, on for a couple minutes then off), or 80% of that i.e. 12A i.e. 1440W if it's a continuous load.

I've noticed a LOT of L1 chargers on amazon sold with 5-15 plugs but rated at 16A. Those are absolutely out of spec. No guarantees they'll trip a breaker on any given circuit if nothing else is on it (breakers aren't that accurate) but it's a recipe for bad either way. Many options can be dialed up or down on the device though. If you're plugged into a regular outlet, 12A is the proper setting. 16A is for NEMA 5-20 outlets (20A * 80% is 16A)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm guilty of possessing a L1 charger that's capable of pulling 16A; however, I do/did not plug it into a 5-15 outlet or any outlet that's on a 15A circuit--instead of using the 6-20 to 5-15 adapter that was included with my L1 charger I purchased a 6-20 to 14-50 adapter and plugged my charger into my 14-50 outlet instead.

·
Registered
EV6 wind 2022
18 Posts
There is another thread in this forum covering this same subject:

In short, level-1 charging (110V) is perfectly good for the EV6 if you do not drive too much, say <50 mi/day.

For a continuous load, like charging, a circuit should be limited to 80% of the breaker rating. A 20A breaker (12ga wire) can carry 16A, which yields almost 2 kW, or about 4 mi/hour of charging. That will get you 30-60 miles of range overnight, depending on how long your "night" is. If you have to use a 15A circuit (14ga wire), reduce all of those figures by 25%.

We drive 0-25 mi most days with an occasional 100-mi day, so 110V covers that easily. Long out-of-town trips require public charging, of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am thinking about buying an EV6. The two dealers I have been to are giving me different answers to my question and both of the 2 salesmen did not seem not very knowledgeable about the EV6 in general. If someone who owns one could give me the correct answer on if the EV6 can charge from a home 110V plug I would really appreciate it. Or is the 110 adapter is only to charge other things on the road or from one vehicle to another? I am going to be selling my house soon so don't plan to install a home charging plug and I may buy a condo where I don't have that option so I am just looking for a straight answer. I know I can charge it at a 400 or 800 charger, but sometimes even a slow 110v charge from home would be a nice option. Currently, I am waiting for the color and model I want to show up and I plan to seek out other dealers as the dealer near me has an $8000 markup which seems both ridiculous and frustrating. Then I clicked to get an e price on another dealer's website about an hour from me for an EV6 and they refused to give me a price in the multiple emails they continued to send. Maybe I should just be running from Kia, but I am still holding out hope that all Kia dealers don't operate this way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts