Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the scenario: You lost your phone on a hike or out on the water, but you do have your FOB. Are you able to operate, drive, and charge this vehicle without any issues? If so, what sort of issues?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
Ok, here is the scenario: You lost your phone on a hike or out on the water, but you do have your FOB. Are you able to operate, drive, and charge this vehicle without any issues? If so, what sort of issues?
Short answer: Yes, you can operate the EV6 without your phone with no issues.

The current functionality for phones (at least for iPhones, which is what I have) is very limited. You can't operate the car with your phone. You must have the key fob. There are a few things you can do with the Kia Connect app, such as locking and unlocking doors, and starting/stopping charging. Mostly though, you don't need your phone.

The NFC-type phone-key functionality that you have in, say, a Tesla, doesn't exist (yet?) for the Kia iPhone app. Supposedly it does exist for Android, but I have no first hand experience with that.

The one thing where you will miss having your phone after you drop it in the lake is if you're using public fast charging. If you have a discount plan, including the free Electrify America plan you get with the EV6, you probably won't be able to use your charging plan without your smartphone. You'll need to use a credit card (assuming you didn't also drop your wallet in the lake) and will presumably end up paying full price for the charge.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...The one thing where you will miss having your phone after you drop it in the lake is if you're using public fast charging. If you have a discount plan, including the free Electrify America plan you get with the EV6, you probably won't be able to use your charging plan without your smartphone. You'll need to use a credit card (assuming you didn't also drop your wallet in the lake) and will presumably end up paying full price for the charge.
Thanks! One other question:Is there not a back-up PIN that could be used instead?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT Line AWD Yacht Blue
160 Posts
The NFC-type phone-key functionality that you have in, say, a Tesla, doesn't exist (yet?) for the Kia iPhone app. Supposedly it does exist for Android, but I have no first hand experience with that.
I have an Android phone and don't see anything about using the phone as a key. Maybe I'm not seeing it? Would be good to know!

Thanks! One other question:Is there not a back-up PIN that could be used instead?
I've only seen two options at an Electrify America charger: Guest (use a credit card), Member (tap your phone; initiate charging from your phone). I don't recall seeing a PIN option for either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts