Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a link on popular mechanics that said the Tesla supercharger network is now available for non Teslas (I don't subscribe to that magazine though so I couldn't click on the article). Is that right? Can we charge our EV6s on a Tesla supercharger with an adapter? I'm not talking about at home, I mean on a road trip if we find a Tesla charging station somewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, awaiting EV6 GT Line-S AWD in matte grey
39 Posts
I saw a link on popular mechanics that said the Tesla supercharger network is now available for non Teslas (I don't subscribe to that magazine though so I couldn't click on the article). Is that right? Can we charge our EV6s on a Tesla supercharger with an adapter? I'm not talking about at home, I mean on a road trip if we find a Tesla charging station somewhere. Thanks.
I know Tesla have, in one or two European countries started to trial this. I do not think it has gone any further than that at this time (but happy to be corrected).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes, that's some countries in Europe, not USA. Teslas in in USA uses a proprietary Tesla connector (they don't in Europe). There is an adapter you can get to connect to a Tesla destination charger (which is comparable to L2 charging), but not their Superchargers.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bought the tesla adapter off amazon. Used it to charge at a tesla destination charger at a hotel and it worked flawlessly. Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter

The hotel also had a J1772 charger but it was not working. I made sure to use EV charging ettiqutte which is when my car was charged to 90% I went out and unplugged it for the Tesla next to me to use. When I left early the next morning the Tesla was plugged in. Be polite to others who need to charge!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bought the tesla adapter off amazon. Used it to charge at a tesla destination charger at a hotel and it worked flawlessly. Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter

The hotel also had a J1772 charger but it was not working. I made sure to use EV charging ettiqutte which is when my car was charged to 90% I went out and unplugged it for the Tesla next to me to use. When I left early the next morning the Tesla was plugged in. Be polite to others who need to charge!
That is true. It’s also the reason why I set my car to unlock the charger when it’s has finished charging so other people can remove it from my car if I’m not there when it stops charging. I always try to be - but you know when you are in a shop or something you can’t always predict how long it takes to finish and get out.

It also means that I remove the charger from other cars to charge my own if it unlocks, which it usually does. Only once did I receive negative comments because of it (so far), and it was from a woman who didn’t know how it worked. She didn’t want to know either 🥴.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes, that's some countries in Europe, not USA.
And even then, it's only at specially selected test sites in some countries.

·
Registered
F.E. 208/1500 Matte Gray $5K markup (Oxendale Kia)
183 Posts
This is coming but not yet for the US. They haven't released the Tesla to CCS for their current owners in the US. I believe when this happens and people buy the adapter, then they will open their network for other brands to buy their CCS to Tesla adapter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm surprised to hear "it worked flawlessly" - l got one of those on Amazon and had to jump through some hoops. The one I got, which looks exactly like the lectron, has no active electronics inside. I had to 1) plug in 2) wait for the car to announce 'charging unsuccessful' 3) go turn ON the car 4) then charging started and worked after turning the car off, etc. Something about the pilot signal timing, and Tesla not reverting to legacy compatibility mode quickly enough.

I picked up a TeslaTap Mini instead - more expensive, but it has a circuit in it that quickly switches the Tesla charger into compatibility mode. Plug in the adapter, and within 8 seconds or so it'll reliably just work when you plug in the car. If you want to save the money and you'll rarely use destination chargers, the Lectron style seems fine, but it was definitely finicky for me.

This is coming but not yet for the US. They haven't released the Tesla to CCS for their current owners in the US. I believe when this happens and people buy the adapter, then they will open their network for other brands to buy their CCS to Tesla adapter.
This is my understanding as well - eventually, maybe, we'll see CCS plug adapters installed at supercharger sites so Tesla can collect federal subsidy dollars to build out the network more. But I think it's a silly business decision for them since they're losing headwind quickly and the network is their single biggest market advantage, so who knows when/if it'll happen.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That is true. It’s also the reason why I set my car to unlock the charger when it’s has finished charging so other people can remove it from my car if I’m not there when it stops charging. I always try to be - but you know when you are in a shop or something you can’t always predict how long it takes to finish and get out.

It also means that I remove the charger from other cars to charge my own if it unlocks, which it usually does. Only once did I receive negative comments because of it (so far), and it was from a woman who didn’t know how it worked. She didn’t want to know either 🥴.
This is good etiquette to practice but I would not do it if/when using an adapter like the Lectron Tesla to J1772 as doing so leaves open the possibility of someone stealing your $160 adapter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It appears to work - watch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts