Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly what the title says - can you use the interior power under the second row seat power while the vehicle is being charged? I'm trying to figure out if a small fridge can stay powered while being charged either at home or at a camp site.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
244 Posts
According to the manual, opening the exterior charging door interrupts and disables VTL from the interior plug:
Font Rectangle Circle Screenshot Brand

Off-topic:
The warnings at the bottom include some funnies:
1) Don't scratch your hand when using VTL
2) Don't set up a breakfast buffet.
3) Who irons in their car?
Font Number Parallel Document Screenshot

·
Registered
288 Posts
I suppose Kia would rather you iron and set up the buffet outside, using the external V2L connector. Given the potential liability, you know someone's going to make tea or coffee in the car and spill it and sue someone for their incompetence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, may be I can add a 12v portable battery between the interior VTL and the portable fridge? When the car is not charging, the car will charge the portable battery. When the car is being charged at the campsite overnight, the portable battery will power the fridge.

Yes, I'm desperate to make this work for our future camping trips... lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmm, may be I can add a 12v portable battery between the interior VTL and the portable fridge? When the car is not charging, the car will charge the portable battery. When the car is being charged at the campsite overnight, the portable battery will power the fridge.

Yes, I'm desperate to make this work for our future camping trips... lol.
You could just get a 12V camping fridge? Or a power splitter and short extension cord, and plug the fridge into the campsite power source (I'm presuming it's A/C else the charge wouldn't be long enough to worry about?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how that would work - doesn't EV6 use a normal 12v lead acid battery? Then it may not be a good idea to keep a fridge connected to it all the time? Or does EV6 continue to charge the 12v battery if it gets depleted below 50%?

Also, we are planning for border season camping trips as well, so keeping a fridge outside may not be a good idea. Could be problematic because of animals too... The best solution by far is to keep the fridge inside the car while sleeping without worrying about powering the fridge.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not sure how that would work - doesn't EV6 use a normal 12v lead acid battery? Then it may not be a good idea to keep a fridge connected to it all the time? Or does EV6 continue to charge the 12v battery if it gets depleted below 50%?

Also, we are planning for border season camping trips as well, so keeping a fridge outside may not be a good idea. Could be problematic because of animals too... The best solution by far is to keep the fridge inside the car while sleeping without worrying about powering the fridge.
Remember you can set the car to Utility mode when stationary to avoid running down the 12v battery. I think it is pretty much designed for camping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remember you can set the car to Utility mode when stationary to avoid running down the 12v battery. I think it is pretty much designed for camping.
I see.

So when the car is being charged, just plug the 12v fridge into the 12v plug? I guess that'll work... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts