Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news for those still fretting about the rebates.

EV sales mandate, increased rebates part of Canada's climate plan

The government says it will expand the electric-vehicle rebate program by $1.7 billion.

The Canadian Press reports that the coming federal budget is expected to expand that program to include used vehicles and more expensive models of electric vehicles so the new SUVs and pickup trucks coming onto the electric-vehicle market will qualify. The Ford F-150 Lightning and Chevrolet Silverado EV will both start at about — or above — $60,000 in Canada, for example.

The government also will provide $400 million in additional funding for ZEV charging stations, in support of the its objective of adding 50,000 ZEV chargers to Canada’s network. The Canada Infrastructure Bank will also spend $500 million on electric vehicle charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Izev revamp. Good that the limits are raised not but I really sure what the benefit is of specifying larger vehicles. Should we really be encouraging larger vehicles using a ton more scarce lithium? I think that the program should reward efficiency over size for private vehicles.

News release
April 22, 2022 Markham, Ontario Transport Canada
Clean air, good jobs, and lower bills – Canadians have been clear about what they want. The Government of Canada is continuing to deliver on those priorities. Today, on Earth Day, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, announced additional details of key measures that will help Canadians make the switch to a zero-emission vehicle that cuts pollution and lowers everyday expenses.
The Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles Program has already helped Canadians purchase or lease over 141,000 new zero-emission vehicles since 2019. Starting April 25, 2022, the program will be expanded to include the purchase of additional vehicle models popular with Canadians, such as minivans, light-duty pickup trucks, and SUVs.
To be eligible:
  • A car must have a base model Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price that is less than $55,000. Higher priced versions of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $65,000, are also eligible.
  • Larger zero-emission vehicles (e.g., sports utility vehicles, minivans and pick-up trucks) must have a base model Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price under $60,000. Higher priced versions of these vehicles, up to a maximum of $70,000, are also eligible.
To accelerate the manufacturing and adoption of cleaner cars, the Government of Canada will also put in place a sales mandate so at least 20 per cent of new passenger vehicles sold in Canada will be zero-emission vehicles by 2026, and at least 60 per cent by 2030, on the road to 100 per cent by 2035.
In addition, the Government of Canada will launch a strategy to reduce pollution from medium- and heavy-duty vehicles with the aim of having these vehicles make up 35% of total sales of zero-emission vehicles by 2030. This will include developing medium- and heavy-duty zero-emission vehicles regulations to require 100% medium- and heavy-duty sales to be zero-emission vehicles by 2040 for certain types of medium- and heavy-duty vehicles.
Further details on the medium- and heavy-duty vehicles strategy will be announced over the summer.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah I’m conflicted. Larger vehicles will have a bigger impact considering they’re usually V8s or turbo V6s that consume 12-14L/100km in the city and 8-10L/100km on the highway. Making people choose electric versions would have a significant impact. Not only that, the second hand market would also benefit for those that want a larger vehicle but have to decide between a gas model and an EV. (And currently, that’s gas or.. gas. Not even Hybrids are available)

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
709 Posts
I wonder if this is why Genesis was planning on releasing pricing in May... 🤔

I've been holding on to my GV60 reservation out of curiosity (and frustration in case Kia doesn't fix my HUD.) It's a Performance Edition though so may still not qualify.

If it qualifies I'll have some tougher decisions ahead

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah it’s good news for GV60 reservation holders.
Well unless the Performance Edition is a package ;)
Actually I think now you have to be within the maximum of 70K, or am I reading this incorrectly?
but the starting price must be starting with a MSRP starting under 60k.

Korean price:
Approximate sales price after tax benefit (with 5.0% special consumption tax applied *Tax benefit is not included)81,393,499 KRW
Approximate sales price after tax benefit (with 3.5% special consumption tax applied)76,425,821 KRW

Just to give an idea for AWD, Performance (320HP) = $82,849.73 CAD (XE converstion)
Most probably Above the iZEV Maximum.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Actually I think now you have to be within the maximum of 70K, or am I reading this incorrectly?
but the starting price must be starting with a MSRP starting under 60k.

Korean price:
Approximate sales price after tax benefit (with 5.0% special consumption tax applied *Tax benefit is not included)81,393,499 KRW
Approximate sales price after tax benefit (with 3.5% special consumption tax applied)76,425,821 KRW

Just to give an idea for AWD, Performance (320HP) = $82,849.73 CAD (XE converstion)
Most probably Above the iZEV Maximum.
Oh did they change the wording? I’m not sure now.
That sounds about right. I was told by a Genesis dealer that they expect the eGV70 to approach $100k. That’s expensive but I guess the Model Y is up there. A top spec GV703.3T is $76,000 for reference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh did they change the wording? I’m not sure now.
That sounds about right. I was told by a Genesis dealer that they expect the eGV70 to approach $100k. That’s expensive but I guess the Model Y is up there. A top spec GV703.3T is $76,000 for reference.
I was contemplating the GV60; I think the GV60 looks great on the outside; but I'm not crazy about the inside looks.
  • In general I hate the fake chrome plastic look to me just look too cheap.
  • The GV60 is the same car except some extra tech, face and finger print recognition some boost feature (Capacitor?) and a crystal drive selector.
  • Hard to know without seeing the car but... is the GV60 worth 10-15-20k more?

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
709 Posts
I was contemplating the GV60; I think the GV60 looks great on the outside; but I'm not crazy about the inside looks.
  • The GV60 is the same car except some extra tech, face and finger print recognition some boost feature (Capacitor?) and a crystal drive selector.
There were a lot of things that I thought looked bad in photos of the EV6 that turned out to look ok or even good in person. I'm holding off judgement until I see it in person (although I do expect to be thoroughly unimpressed by the "crystal".) IMHO Genesis is what you get when you ask a 9-yr-old to explain what "luxury" is - they're so over the top in some ways. But I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I do like the GV60 as well butinhad decided that the nicer interior, as much as I would appreciate it, isn’t worth the extra lay out right now. I figured I can always jump into a luxury EV next time around with SSB.

I, too, am not enamoured with the silver plastic trim. It does look cheap to me. But I like the greater choices in colour and the nicer headliner (my old Prius had felt covered A and B pillars while the EV6 is still hard plastic). The latest infotainment with true OTA was a draw too. I would be lying if I didn’t consider the name Genesis over Kia as a brand too.

But I made my decision and so far, I’m satisfied with it and it’ll tide me over until the next breakthrough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts